New recruit Nick Meaney can help lead Bulldogs to bright future

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not what I'm saying...
But how about West Tigers we know their fullback is shit. And Hoppa would be on half his money.
Oh yeah true...already forgot about him lol

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I value the opinion of a Knights great (Buders) on Meaney over yours. They didn't try to retain him (and were happy to release him), because they have a few REALLY good options coming through at fullback.

If he's so good defensively, why can't he tackle with his arms? He either shirt grabs or tries to bump the player with his body.

He had one of the highest try cause numbers for Knights last year in NSW Cup.

People are blowing smoke up his arse.

Yes he had potential, but as displayed in his first grade games this year, he still needs another year in NSW Cup in my opinion.
Just a heads up but any half decent defender doesn’t tackle with his “arms” first point of contact is always the shoulder

caltan

Waterboy
Reaction score
Are we even sure of his quality? I haven't seen enough of him to know he can handle fullback full-time. I would further develop him him in reserve grade if it becomes obvious he is not quite ready. He needs to put another 5kg on his skinny arse frame or he will be ragdolled regularly. We have the Tongan fullback there if need be.
remember what they said about JT. You don't have much foresight. I didn't see JT get ragdolled very often.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa deserves to be our Fullback in Round 1 next year. I don't understand the criticism he attracts. Sure he isn't the quickest fullback in the comp but he's far from slow. He's safe as a bank, carries the ball strongly for 200m+ regularly, and is dangerous with his hands and passing game in the attacking 10/20.

Meaney has a bag of potential but he's very raw and was pretty hot and cold in his few first grade appearances. Prefer to see him develop further. Personally I think he'll transition into a very good 5/8

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
remember what they said about JT. You don't have much foresight. I didn't see JT get ragdolled very often.
Lol at the JT comparison. He was never asked to bring the ball back from kick returns, where you are most likely to get ragdolled. Look I'm just saying Meaney could put another few kgs on his frame, that's all. I really don't care if it's Meaney/Hoppa at fullback. I trust the coach.

Last edited:

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a good chat to nick meaney today... said the dogs culture is evident and there is an excellent buzz, the players really helped him fit in on day one...

Had some good words for dean pay.

I asked him if he is our starting fullback, said that pay advised him to earn his spot and that his hard work will reward him with first grade, he seemed really level headed and backed himself to do so...

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Had a good chat to nick meaney today... said the dogs culture is evident and there is an excellent buzz, the players really helped him fit in on day one...

I asked him if he is our starting fullback, said that pay advised him to earn his spot and that his hard work will reward him with first grade, he seemed really level headed and backed himself to do so...
Good stuff.. hope he goes well I’m backing him as out fullback like what I have seen off him especially in isp.. watched his games.. good luck to him.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad to hear that, good luck to the young fella. I’d prob interpret that though, that he will slowly be introduced into FG with us, as most of us have been predicting. Means Hopa to remain in the number 1. Happy days as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he will be a surprise packet and kill it at fb if this guy and foran do well we can be a real surprise packet they are our make or break players i reckon
I will predict he will be the dogs top try scorer in 2019

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad to hear that, good luck to the young fella. I’d prob interpret that though, that he will slowly be introduced to FG with us .
I reckon it’ll be Reimis Smith
Holland and Smith will kill it together with a full offseason to get some set plays down pat. Take the summer to learn each others play inside and out (including defensive structure) and they will be a suprise pack. Better than many other NRL edges.

I dare say though that other teams would be thinking the same of them and will study them with particular interest so much of the attacking flair we saw from them this season may be mitigated.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Glad to hear that, good luck to the young fella. I’d prob interpret that though, that he will slowly be introduced to FG with us .

Holland and Smith will kill it together with a full offseason to get some set plays down pat. Take the summer to learn each others play inside and out (including defensive structure) and they will be a suprise pack. Better than many other NRL edges.

I dare say though that other teams would be thinking the same of them and will study them with particular interest.
Yeah I am looking forward to next year. Think we will have a good mix off old and new.. go doggies

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont really understand how monty got picked in front of him for 1.5 season