New recruit Nick Meaney can help lead Bulldogs to bright future

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Disagree, if the talk is that our salary cap isn't going to be right until 2021 and looking at our roster we would be lucky to even come 8-9th so we have plenty of time to let him find his feet.
There is no doubt Nick will have pressure to perform right away if he is a walk up starter at FB. But if Pay thinks he is ready then I'm happy.

Last edited:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Meany
2. Hoppa
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Then we have Smith, Crighton, Montoya, Holland to fit in.

Smith will start for sure. Question is wing or centre.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only if we had a Munster............Oh wait we did. Well only if we had a Latrell.......of fuck me we had a Latrell to. I guess we could just try Meaney then, I suppose a few games won't hurt. Hoppa is far superior to Meaney at FB atm
Hoppa is a seasoned first grader with rep footy experience as well, so of course he is superior. What would you expect. But we are looking to the future with our team, which is what all good coaches should constantly do. This is why we are in such a rut, des didnt do this.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa is a seasoned first grader with rep footy experience as well, so of course he is superior. What would you expect. But we are looking to the future with our team, which is what all good coaches should constantly do. This is why we are in such a rut, des didnt do this.
Agree brother, and that’s all I really have to say on this subject haha..!! It’s a wait an see for me. 2019 can’t roll around quick enough.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
1. Meany
2. Hoppa
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Then we have Smith, Crighton, Montoya, Holland to fit in.

Smith will start for sure. Question is wing or centre.
I'd try this first...

1. Meaney
2. Hoppa
3. Harper
4. Holland
5. Smith

Then adjust when needed

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Agree mate

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yep adjust
1 meaney
2 chrighton
3 hoppa
4 morgan
5 smith
In my opinion id like to see that get a crack if serious about building and testing players for future.
Damn, I forgot Captain Morgan lol, I'd drop Crichton for Harper

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meany might develop into the rock star fullback that we have all been waiting for but what I've seen of him so far he seems too timid for my liking, not enough mongrel in the kid and his defense is highly questionable. Way too much arm grabbing.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Played the game my whole life to Jnr representative level. Been involved with an International team as well. Travelled overseas with said international team as part of coaching staff. I know the game a little better than you think.
Crusher ?
Did you dictate that diatribe to Siri ? Because both your hands had pies in them ?

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Why play a player out of position ??
Because playing on the wing gives him less to do, and less to think about.
Can focus on more specific aspects of his game, and there would be less pressure, and hey he may just learn something else, without the pressure and expectation of being one of the “spine”.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He's stepped up with each opportunity given to him in the recent past. He has a full of season to work on muscle and any aspect of his game that are lacking. So it's up to him to earn his shot here. For my 2 cents worth of opinion, he's got courage under the high ball. It seemed like the Knights players didn't use him in support when he was tailing the play. I hope he's able to cement a first grade spot in the #1. Hoppa has been consistent for the most part, but occasionally has purple patches of form when the side is getting a roll on. I respect Hoppa again since he's playing Sundays again, but have thought he isn't the one that will be the catalyst for winning games. Happy with both options at fullback if the club selection goes either way.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry but the Hoppa > Centres experiment failed. Hoppa will be starting fullback.

Meaney shows glimpses of talent but needs to put on some muscle, and learn to tackle.

Expert arm grabber.

Currently Brad Abbey v2.0, but has the potential for good things.
Brad Abbey is just pure shit, Meaney is a different style of player

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
It will be really interesting to watch Hoppa at fullback in the Tonga vs Australia clash today.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People who still want Hoppa at fullback are stifling our future. The guy is leading us nowhere. He has his moments but he’s bloody hopeless when one on one and 20 out gets beat every time and he’s not even that safe a fullback. Yes he makes meters so put him on the wing and let’s move on.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but the Hoppa > Centres experiment failed. Hoppa will be starting fullback.

Meaney shows glimpses of talent but needs to put on some muscle, and learn to tackle.

Expert arm grabber.

Currently Brad Abbey v2.0, but has the potential for good things.
Expert arm grabber please.
This seems to be your standard line for all full backs that aren’t names Hopoate.
How many games of Meaney’s have you actually watched.
I bet you only watched a few first grade games of his televised on tv where he played behind the worst defensive side in the comp , and are making your assumptions of his defensive deficiencies off that.

Having watched him play quite a few lower grade games up here in Newcastle I can confirm that he is quite good defensively . Always well positioned, safe under the bomb and a good last line of defence.

I am excited about his arrival- i am not so sure where Hoppa fits into our back line however.

I agree with others that he wasn’t suited to the centres defensively as he made a lot of bad reads in defence.

Maybe his best bet will be on the wing as he has a strong carry out of trouble and is great under the high ball. However on the flip side there is a distinct lack of speed about him so would be concerned about his ability to run the length.

doggyrock

Waterboy
Reaction score
People who still want Hoppa at fullback are stifling our future. The guy is leading us nowhere. He has his moments but he’s bloody hopeless when one on one and 20 out gets beat every time and he’s not even that safe a fullback. Yes he makes meters so put him on the wing and let’s move on.
Hoppa is also on $800k a season. He’s solid but like the punters on here are saying isn’t ever going to be a great fullback. What would Meaney be on like $120?
It’s a no brainer they will develop Meaney and play Hoppa in the centres or wing. Hoppa will do what he’s told because no other club would pay him $800k.
Of course this all depends on Meaney’s performance in pre-season and trials.