New recruit Nick Meaney can help lead Bulldogs to bright future

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Expert arm grabber please.
This seems to be your standard line for all full backs that aren’t names Hopoate.
How many games of Meaney’s have you actually watched.
I bet you only watched a few first grade games of his televised on tv where he played behind the worst defensive side in the comp , and are making your assumptions of his defensive deficiencies off that.

Having watched him play quite a few lower grade games up here in Newcastle I can confirm that he is quite good defensively . Always well positioned, safe under the bomb and a good last line of defence.

I am excited about his arrival- i am not so sure where Hoppa fits into our back line however.

I agree with others that he wasn’t suited to the centres defensively as he made a lot of bad reads in defence.

Maybe his best bet will be on the wing as he has a strong carry out of trouble and is great under the high ball. However on the flip side there is a distinct lack of speed about him so would be concerned about his ability to run the length.
Meaney will do well next year. I am also exited about his addition to fg as i was with Lewis. I can remember many on here being negative about lewis as well but look at him now. Some on here forget that these young players need to be given a chance in fg to become a player they want. Meaney deserves his crack in our fg team and the kennel will be supporting him once he settles in the team. As far as hoppa goes wing is best spot he can fall over players over the side line he might save a few tries.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney will surprise some people. A solid off season with the understanding a first grade spot is up for grabs is a massive incentive.

I can't get over people death riding him, he's not a potential signing, he's part of the club now. Wish the kid all the best and hope he does well rather than talking about how shit he is.

baz

Waterboy
Reaction score
I watched him play last year he has plenty of talent and will be a good fit for our young team next year.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meany might develop into the rock star fullback that we have all been waiting for but what I've seen of him so far he seems too timid for my liking, not enough mongrel in the kid and his defense is highly questionable. Way too much arm grabbing.
I agree with you with most of what you say. I am hoping he bulks up a bit with the dogs and they put some work in his tackling style. But i think this kid is going to add a lot of zip to our attack which we have missed at fullback.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meany might develop into the rock star fullback that we have all been waiting for but what I've seen of him so far he seems too timid for my liking, not enough mongrel in the kid and his defense is highly questionable. Way too much arm grabbing.
We watch the same TV. Some others have a different TV. Weird.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People who still want Hoppa at fullback are stifling our future. The guy is leading us nowhere. He has his moments but he’s bloody hopeless when one on one and 20 out gets beat every time and he’s not even that safe a fullback. Yes he makes meters so put him on the wing and let’s move on.
He’s too skilful a player to put on the wing. He needs his hands on the ball to assist spark our attack. Every time he touches the ball inside opposition 20 he is dangerous. No other Fullback for us including Meaney could offer that.

Were not blessed with overflowing attacking ability within the team so we need to take advantage of what we have, rather than stifling it by moving one of our very few attacking players to the wing.

Last edited:

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s too skilful a player to put on the wing. He needs his hands on the ball to assist spark our attack. Every time he touches the ball inside opposition 20 he is dangerous. No other Fullback for us including Meaney could offer that.

Were not blessed with overflowing attacking ability within the team so we need to take advantage of what we have, rather than stifling it by moving one of our very few attacking players to the wing.
At this point of Hopoate's we have seen exactly how much he can offer to a team, so with knowing that do you think he is good enough to be a starting fullback for a premiership winning team?

Keeping in mind that we don't know how good Meaney can be with a full years of first grade under his belt.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he will go well and be our long term fullback and he seems to step up and get better each game

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Expert arm grabber please.
This seems to be your standard line for all full backs that aren’t names Hopoate.
How many games of Meaney’s have you actually watched.
I bet you only watched a few first grade games of his televised on tv where he played behind the worst defensive side in the comp , and are making your assumptions of his defensive deficiencies off that.

Having watched him play quite a few lower grade games up here in Newcastle I can confirm that he is quite good defensively . Always well positioned, safe under the bomb and a good last line of defence.
I value the opinion of a Knights great (Buders) on Meaney over yours. They didn't try to retain him (and were happy to release him), because they have a few REALLY good options coming through at fullback.

If he's so good defensively, why can't he tackle with his arms? He either shirt grabs or tries to bump the player with his body.

He had one of the highest try cause numbers for Knights last year in NSW Cup.

People are blowing smoke up his arse.

Yes he had potential, but as displayed in his first grade games this year, he still needs another year in NSW Cup in my opinion.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He needs 2-3 years to mature and become a really solid first grader. Since we are re-building, I say fuck it, just pick all these youngsters coming through and the ones we have picked up and let them form combinations over the next 2-3 years and build a solid team for the next 5 - 8 years or so. This is how dynasties are created, and we should start our own as of next year. When we have salary cap room, we just need to add that 1 or 2 stars that will have that x factor and experience that he will help guide these youngsters into the future.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Play him as our fullback straight away. Hoppa is no good - lazy and can't defend the line. I'm sick of the ex-Manly duds that and neither of the remaining two are going to feature in the club's future.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Play him as our fullback straight away. Hoppa is no good - lazy and can't defend the line. I'm sick of the ex-Manly duds that and neither of the remaining two are going to feature in the club's future.
How is Hopa no good? He had a pretty below par game last night but it was his first game in months. Not match fit.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have great hopes for Meaney. I like the idea of signing young players with potential. Not all will work out but way better than signing guys like Mitch Brown and Jono Wright

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Meaney has a very good short kicking game and also very good at sniffing out a try from a kick.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point of Hopoate's we have seen exactly how much he can offer to a team, so with knowing that do you think he is good enough to be a starting fullback for a premiership winning team?

Keeping in mind that we don't know how good Meaney can be with a full years of first grade under his belt.
I think Hopa is, do u?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Hopa is, do u?
Personally no, I've never seen him take over a game and lead his side to victory like premiership fullbacks do, they only way he will win a premiership at fullback is if you have two other superstars in the spine that can create and score and that's a highly unlikely thing to occur anytime soon.