Nathan Cleary Left ‘Paralysed’ By Troll Abuse

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A friends boy has changed schools and is now a lot happier.

Society has degenerated so much. Bullying should not be tolerated in any context anywhere.

People have lost their decency and feel they can do, and say, whatever they like with no filter to the effects on others.

It's their fault if they can't take it apparently.
My daughter changed schools for similar reasons. She has learnt from it & is now much much happier.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was getting threats etc. It wasn't Bennett that left him upset or whatever. People were messaging him saying they were going to bash him at Panthers.
Yeah pretty crap. People got to remember these players are still kids. They need to be protected.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Fucken sook. When you take into account what a lowlife piece of shit his old man is it is no surprise Nathan is a grovelling tosser. Get back to Tiktock you fucken cockgoblin. DWZ knocking him out has undoubtedly been the highlight of the footy year so far.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I'm still not going to feel sorry for him. He's no different to anyone else. Any school kid or adult these days cops similar shit online.

Tall poppy syndrome is also a part of being a professional athlete. He should know it's just all shit talking and that nothing would actually happen.

Everyone wants to constantly play the victim these days and whole generations of people are growing up soft. Imagine the abuse the players in the 70's-00's copped in person?
Sounds to me like he's fishing for an excuse for belly flopping in the grand final and playing like utter shit on the biggest stage.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some of you haters are fucking shocking seriously..."only" chit chat online but nasty as and no surprise to see the serial narc Motorhead at the forefront.

I don't like the old man much he probably is a right arsehole but the boy can play and any of you lot would take him as our 7 any day of the week..and if you wouldn't your misguided hatred is consuming you, take the blinkers off!

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When did he become paralysed, after his tiktok dancing. Wish he thought of people who are actually paralysed before saying he was paralysed over some stupid comments said about him.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Some of you haters are fucking shocking seriously..."only" chit chat online but nasty as and no surprise to see the serial narc Motorhead at the forefront.

I don't like the old man much he probably is a right arsehole but the boy can play and any of you lot would take him as our 7 any day of the week..and if you wouldn't your misguided hatred is consuming you, take the blinkers off!
You're as big of a sook as him old mate. Who said he was a shit player? You're fucken making shit up as you go now. **** played like a busted franger in the GF, no skipping around that fact.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
When did he become paralysed, after his tiktok dancing. Wish he thought of people who are actually paralysed before saying he was paralysed over some stupid comments said about him.
Careful that the bloke who posted before you doesn't have a hissyfit about what you've said.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Paralysed but still plays better than our whole team put together lmao

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Im sure Cleary can fight his own fights.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett’s heartless Nathan Cleary sledge has been exposed in a devastating new Podcast.

The Panthers playmaker has bravely opened up about the trolling and public comments that took his football life to breaking point in a Podcast released Wednesday.

The 23-year-old features in the latest episode of high performance guru Hayden Knowles’ Get the Edge Podcast where he opens up about the mental demons that swallowed him in 2019.

Among the revelations in the episode is the moment Knowles confronted Bennett about public comments he made about Cleary ahead of the 2019 State of Origin series.

It was the hardest year of Cleary’s career and he has spoken previously about how online abuse got the better of him and left him with performance anxiety before every match.

Knowles, who is now head of performance at the Panthers, says in the episode Bennett laughed off the moment he was confronted with his declarations that Cleary and Roosters playmaker James Maloney should both be sacked for the 2019 State of Origin series.

Knowles says Bennett never cared about Cleary, and was only using him as a pawn to boost his own players with Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker both performing strongly that season.

“Wayne, at that time that Nathan’s reading s***, even you came out with s***,” Knowles said, with all due respect to the veteran coach.

“You were saying that you wouldn’t pick him as the NSW halfback. You wanted Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker.

"You don’t give a rats about Nathan Cleary. You don’t care about NSW. And he laughed and said, ‘You got me’.”

Cleary responded by saying it was the year he learned to shut out outside opinions, even from experts like Bennett.

Cleary says the torrent of online abuse left him “paralysed” that year, resulting in his form on the field being impacted.

It took over my mental state and it was affecting the way I was playing,” Cleary said.

“The most frustrating thing is I was reading all this stuff and it was just paralysing. It was affecting the way I was playing, which affected the team. I just wasn’t in the right state to perform well.

“It was the first time I acknowledged I had performance anxiety from reading all this stuff and putting all this pressure on myself.”

He says opening up about his problems was a turning point and it allowed him to discover how many teammates, officials and coaches were in his corner supporting him.

He says he first received online threats at the age of 18.

Since then, Cleary’s career has exploded after leading NSW to an Origin series wins in 2019 and the minor premiership with the Panthers last year.
There would be a good story about how Elliott was stalked by the media for a telephoto op of a nude stunt at a private party, then trolled by their journalists mercilessly for weeks. He must have also suffered from on line trolls the same as Cleary.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It comes with the territory??? Thats a poor option to tolerate trolls. I think we all should behave better and not condone the behaviour. I have seen my kids friends and families destroyed by it with suicide and mental health.
Hoping coming out more is good to see tbh.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It comes with the territory??? Thats a poor option to tolerate trolls. I think we all should behave better and not condone the behaviour. I have seen my kids friends and families destroyed by it with suicide and mental health.
Hoping coming out more is good to see tbh.
The Cowards Castle of social media allows anonymous idiots to have fun at the pain they inflict on people who can't hide behind a nom de plume.

It's why I use my real name, because I'm prepared to stand by my comments.

What I say on the Kennel, is what I'd say to someone's face.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like I said though, it's not just footy players, it's everyone. The shit kids say to each other online is horrible. So Cleary can get fucked wanting some sympathy when 12 year olds who did nothing wrong cop worse abuse which would have a bigger impact.
Is it any wonder that social media giants don't let THEIR kids on social media or on the devices?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't worry about on line antics. I see bullying at school every single day and some of it is so damned cruel.

Teachers can only 'talk to the kids" and suspension as punishment for the little grubs is welcomed as a holiday. Spare the rod and spoil the child is so true. Might I add that it is always the same suspects time after time and the threats of calling parents etc. ......well they just laugh and say things like I don't care or my parents are dogs anyway...gospel truth...Particular parts of society are the ones that I am talking about too and I don't say that to sound racist.....
Bullying at school has been going on for years, the only thing that has changed is that it goes online as well. When I was at school many, many, many (etc) years ago, teachers would watch it & do nothing. When it was reported to the Principal they would later deny it. Then you would get beaten up for dobbing them in.