Nathan Cleary Left ‘Paralysed’ By Troll Abuse

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wayne Bennett’s heartless Nathan Cleary sledge has been exposed in a devastating new Podcast.

The Panthers playmaker has bravely opened up about the trolling and public comments that took his football life to breaking point in a Podcast released Wednesday.

The 23-year-old features in the latest episode of high performance guru Hayden Knowles’ Get the Edge Podcast where he opens up about the mental demons that swallowed him in 2019.

Among the revelations in the episode is the moment Knowles confronted Bennett about public comments he made about Cleary ahead of the 2019 State of Origin series.

It was the hardest year of Cleary’s career and he has spoken previously about how online abuse got the better of him and left him with performance anxiety before every match.

Knowles, who is now head of performance at the Panthers, says in the episode Bennett laughed off the moment he was confronted with his declarations that Cleary and Roosters playmaker James Maloney should both be sacked for the 2019 State of Origin series.

Knowles says Bennett never cared about Cleary, and was only using him as a pawn to boost his own players with Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker both performing strongly that season.

“Wayne, at that time that Nathan’s reading s***, even you came out with s***,” Knowles said, with all due respect to the veteran coach.

“You were saying that you wouldn’t pick him as the NSW halfback. You wanted Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker.

"You don’t give a rats about Nathan Cleary. You don’t care about NSW. And he laughed and said, ‘You got me’.”

Cleary responded by saying it was the year he learned to shut out outside opinions, even from experts like Bennett.

Cleary says the torrent of online abuse left him “paralysed” that year, resulting in his form on the field being impacted.

It took over my mental state and it was affecting the way I was playing,” Cleary said.

“The most frustrating thing is I was reading all this stuff and it was just paralysing. It was affecting the way I was playing, which affected the team. I just wasn’t in the right state to perform well.

“It was the first time I acknowledged I had performance anxiety from reading all this stuff and putting all this pressure on myself.”

He says opening up about his problems was a turning point and it allowed him to discover how many teammates, officials and coaches were in his corner supporting him.

He says he first received online threats at the age of 18.

Since then, Cleary’s career has exploded after leading NSW to an Origin series wins in 2019 and the minor premiership with the Panthers last year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just when you think the Cleary's can't get any more irritating.. They're always the victims... Bennett suggests that his halves play Origin and that left Cleary "paralysed" and depressed? Could he be any softer?

What about the Tik-Tok lie? Who's fault was that? Plus what human being these days doesn't encounter some sort of online abuse, especially a celebrity? It comes with the territory. And this article paints him out as a victim and so brave.. What a joke!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder what @Oldpanther thinks of this soft cock diva behaviour.. I can't wait for Penrith to implode and the Cleary's to be put back in their rightful places..

I honestly think we signed the best of their halves and them losing Burton will be like us losing Thurston.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wonder what @Oldpanther thinks of this soft cock diva behaviour.. I can't wait for Penrith to implode and the Cleary's to be put back in their rightful places..

I honestly think we signed the best of their halves and them losing Burton will be like us losing Thurston.
He was getting threats etc. It wasn't Bennett that left him upset or whatever. People were messaging him saying they were going to bash him at Panthers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He was getting threats etc. It wasn't Bennett that left him upset or whatever. People were messaging him saying they were going to bash him at Panthers.
I'm still not going to feel sorry for him. He's no different to anyone else. Any school kid or adult these days cops similar shit online.

Tall poppy syndrome is also a part of being a professional athlete. He should know it's just all shit talking and that nothing would actually happen.

Everyone wants to constantly play the victim these days and whole generations of people are growing up soft. Imagine the abuse the players in the 70's-00's copped in person?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm still not going to feel sorry for him. He's no different to anyone else. Any school kid or adult these days cops similar shit online.

Tall poppy syndrome is also a part of being a professional athlete. He should know it's just all shit talking and that nothing would actually happen.

Everyone wants to constantly play the victim these days and whole generations of people are growing up soft. Imagine the abuse the players in the 70's-00's copped in person?
Footy players probably rather it in person than some bozo slob behind their keyboard.

I think its generally recognised that trolling, psychological abuse is far worse than ever before.

Its an issue fir a lot of the players these days.

Maybe this is just another media beat up as well, like all the other "quality" rugby league journslism we suffer :grinning:

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rather it in person than some bozo slob behind their keyboard.

I think its generally recognised that trolling, psychological abuse is far worse than ever before.

Its an issue fir a lot of the players these days.

Maybe this is just another media beat up as well, like all the other "quality" rugby league journslism we suffer :grinning:
Like I said though, it's not just footy players, it's everyone. The shit kids say to each other online is horrible. So Cleary can get fucked wanting some sympathy when 12 year olds who did nothing wrong cop worse abuse which would have a bigger impact.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Like I said though, it's not just footy players, it's everyone. The shit kids say to each other online is horrible. So Cleary can get fucked wanting some sympathy when 12 year olds who did nothing wrong cop worse abuse which would have a bigger impact.
Maybe the guy "supposedly" complaining to Bennett about it is using it as a message to those kids as well?.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe if he knew how to DANCE on Tic Toc like Wayne Bennett in the sheds, then people wouldn't be so cruel.
Would he even know who Roy Orbison is tho? :grinning: