Movie Discussion

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone find Dune 2 reviews ludicrous? Wasn’t a bad film by any measure but the carry on is unbelievable. 6/10 at best for me

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These Monarchverse Zilla/Kong movies have been pretty terrible. With exception of the first Kong one 'cause if had Samuel L Jackson.

Apparently Godzilla Minus One is brilliant. Didn't get to see it at the cinemas, but apparently it's rated as the best Godzilla movie ever made. It has no links to the Monarchverse movies though.
It’s not available here to stream until the end I year sadly, I missed it in the cinemas too.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Asians still commit genocides today and have a long list in the past so I’m not sure how they got those two sides mixed up .
Probably because "Asia" isn't a single country. It encompasses 48 countries. Most of this have never committed genocide. USA only encompasses 1 country.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Probably because "Asia" isn't a single country. It encompasses 48 countries. Most of this have never committed genocide. USA only encompasses 1 country.
It’s an Asian Alliance…… and genocides have been committed and still are committed by said Asian Alliance…

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone find Dune 2 reviews ludicrous? Wasn’t a bad film by any measure but the carry on is unbelievable. 6/10 at best for me
Haven't seen it yet but that was pretty much my thoughts on the first film. I love the Dune series. Read all the books. And I think the first movie captured the books well. But it was also slow and boring. It was designed to test two things:

1) the bass in your stereo

2) your patience

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet but that was pretty much my thoughts on the first film. I love the Dune series. Read all the books. And I think the first movie captured the books well. But it was also slow and boring. It was designed to test two things:

1) the bass in your stereo

2) your patience
Always thought Dune wouldn’t make a good movie due to the fact it’s pure space politics with some tribal prophecy drama. Not sure what people were expecting war scenes wise. How’s the soundtrack just smashing Dun Dun for 3 hours haha

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s an Asian Alliance…… and genocides have been committed and still are committed by said Asian Alliance…
It's a mythical Asian alliance in an alternate universe. And it never says it's an alliance of all Asian countries.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You never said it was mythical in the original post, carry on.
Pretty much. I said, "It's set in the near future in an alternate timeline"

Suggesting that it's mythical.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also watched "Knock at the Cabin". It's a movie that exists. That's all you need to know. You don't need to watch it.

It's an M Night Shamalamanamanaman movie. And pretty much plays out like every recent movie he has made. He makes it extremely predictable then pretends the ending is a twist, even though it's exactly what you expected to happen.

Great acting performances in the movie though. Possibly worth watching it for the performances. But the story isn't great. It's not terrible. Just a bit boring and predictable.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also watched "Knock at the Cabin". It's a movie that exists. That's all you need to know. You don't need to watch it.

It's an M Night Shamalamanamanaman movie. And pretty much plays out like every recent movie he has made. He makes it extremely predictable then pretends the ending is a twist, even though it's exactly what you expected to happen.

Great acting performances in the movie though. Possibly worth watching it for the performances. But the story isn't great. It's not terrible. Just a bit boring and predictable.
Honestly thought he'd peaked very early. As you said, he's got his formula and he'll be using it until they stop funding his movies.

6th sense was great. I didn't pick it despite the clues. I liked unbreakable. Again, didn't pick the ending. But signs was rubbish. The village was shit. None of his others movies are popping up in my memory. But if you know it's an M Night shalamabamadingdong movie there's going to be a twist.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ouch... I wasn't going to watch it anyway because the trailer looked boring but... Ouch

Screenshot_20240309_152034_Facebook.jpg

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Looks boring a batshit to me. A mate who loves this shit thought it was the greatest thing he'd ever seen.
The books are some of my favourite books of all time. And I didn't mind the first movie. It captured the books well. But it was also boring.

That said, many of my friends that also love the books, have told me that Dune part 2 is one of the greatest movies ever made. I'll watch it eventually.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meh, who cares what ign says about a movie
I generally encourage people to ignore reviews and just enjoy stuff. But when the reviews come out of 3/10, it's probably not worth wasting your time on it.

In the case of this movie, IGN isn't alone. The movie is being blasted by most critics.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

I'm far from a movie buff, would watch less than 10 movies a year. Watched Knock At The Cabin and would rate it as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Had to watch it in about 3 stints, hoping it would improve, but alas lol.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watched a few this past week

Reptile with benicio tel Toro and Justine Timberlake,
reptile-movie-poster.jpg
found that it started well but spiraled a bit over an hour in. One of the better Netflix originals I've seen though.

3/5
reptile-movie-poster.jpg
Ricky-Stanicky.jpg

Three live long friends invent a person to get out of various activities throughout life. who just might become their new best friend when they actually meet him.

Very predictable but expected with the premise. Cena proves he can be a very competent comedy actor with the right material, even though he's similar to effron who basically plays the same guy in each role, Cena does it well imo, plus it's always good to see William H Macy
3/5

Saltburn
saltburn-173552.jpg

A social outcast befriends a popular oxford colleague and manipulates his way into the family.

Found this to be an odd one, enjoyed the premise but found the execution overall slightly & clunky. Acting aside, Scenes that were presented for shock value came across as funny and mild and it could have been a lot better

2/5

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm far from a movie buff, would watch less than 10 movies a year. Watched Knock At The Cabin and would rate it as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Had to watch it in about 3 stints, hoping it would improve, but alas lol.
It's not quite as bad as M Night's last movie (Old), but still really bad.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched a few this past week

Reptile with benicio tel Toro and Justine Timberlake,
View attachment 104022 found that it started well but spiraled a bit over an hour in. One of the better Netflix originals I've seen though.

3/5
View attachment 104022View attachment 104023
Three live long friends invent a person to get out of various activities throughout life. who just might become their new best friend when they actually meet him.

Very predictable but expected with the premise. Cena proves he can be a very competent comedy actor with the right material, even though he's similar to effron who basically plays the same guy in each role, Cena does it well imo, plus it's always good to see William H Macy
3/5

Saltburn
View attachment 104024
A social outcast befriends a popular oxford colleague and manipulates his way into the family.

Found this to be an odd one, enjoyed the premise but found the execution overall slightly & clunky. Acting aside, Scenes that were presented for shock value came across as funny and mild and it could have been a lot better

2/5
Saltburn was highly rated by many. So I watched it, and I completely agree. It wasn't great. I liked how they shot the whole thing like it was shot in the early 90s, but everything else was either just random stuff for shock value. And the story was highly predictable. They made it predictable, but then tried to throw in stuff to throw you off which made no sense for the story or the character. Like the bath scene or grave scene. No one was watching him, so it made no sense with the ending.