News Matt Burton wants out

Malla

Reaction score
Yes it is. Penrith won't release him even if he tanks so why would you want him to play badly? For our sake hopefully he gets a few more games in the halves because we need him to be able to recruit other players. The way we're playing now is going to make it very hard to attract players without paying stupid overs. I actually enjoyed watching Penrith play more than I did watching us and it was because of Burton. He's the one shining light we have for the future
I just want him to fuck Penriths season up tbh

They've kept him because he will apparently help them win, would be bitter sweet for me if he was the reason why they lost.

But yeah, only wishing the best for the kid

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want him to fuck Penriths season up tbh

They've kept him because he will apparently help them win, would be bitter sweet for me if he was the reason why they lost.

But yeah, only wishing the best for the kid
Yeah mate I know you were joking. I hope Penrith get to the prelim or GF (with Burton in the 17) and then get knocked out as I want him to still have that hunger for a premiership. The last thing I want is for Penrith to win the comp and then have to see a smug Clearly taking credit for it (sorry Oldpanther)

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah mate I know you were joking. I hope Penrith get to the prelim or GF (with Burton in the 17) and then get knocked out as I want him to still have that hunger for a premiership. The last thing I want is for Penrith to win the comp and then have to see a smug Clearly taking credit for it (sorry Oldpanther)
Same.. and yeah sorry old panther lol

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is playing FG that's what counts and i enjoyed that game he played in more than any of the others in 3 rounds so far because he played and was excellent and knowing we get him next year.I'm done with the real and perceived animosity and hate we have bigger fn problems atm, let the kid put on a show and enjoy it.
More experience and development = win
Not playing for the shitfight we are at the moment = win also
Not happening anyway but he would regress coming here right now.
100% YES!!

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Dogs put Smith, Napa on the table

The Bulldogs continue in their attempts to convince Penrith to grant Matt Burton an early release from his deal, but they actually almost had their man in the off-season.

I’m told that at one stage, Canterbury offered forward Chris Smith as part of a swap deal for Burton – an offer quickly rejected by Penrith, who then hinted that if Dylan Napa’s name was part of the deal, they could be interested. The Bulldogs rejected the proposition, but have since returned, hinting they’d be willing to let Napa go. The Panthers have since gone cold on the idea and will hold on to Burton.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wish the club would just announce that they've stopped negotiations and look forward to him arriving in 22. It's getting embarrassing..

Penrith won't let him go and it's best for his development to stay there this season (especially now that he's playing centre) considering how bad we're going.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
All good. I'll console myself with a 60 point win against Manly.
I see J'maine Hopgood No.20 in your squad.

Played hooker in juniors. Know much about him OP?

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I see J'maine Hopgood No.20 in your squad.

Played hooker in juniors. Know much about him OP?
I don't know much about him really other than he'll be one to keep an eye on for the future.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish the club would just announce that they've stopped negotiations and look forward to him arriving in 22. It's getting embarrassing..

Penrith won't let him go and it's best for his development to stay there this season (especially now that he's playing centre) considering how bad we're going.
agreed... we are going to look bad enough as it is this year with our on field performances, no need to keep reviving this story for the media to batter us with as well

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Be careful saying the word poach. Legend has it that using it attracts Nick Politis.
It's ok there are warning signs that he's about. You'll see brown paper bags start piling up in the area, usually a new car and a pile of bullshit with the media nearby writing down something about taking unders. Generally there's time to get away.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

How is it embarrassing? I want the club to keep pursing while there is hope. When you have Lewis back in your team now that is embarrassing!! Going hard after a player we have signed and can start building around is not embarrassing..

they should not stop but just don’t make it public.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How is it embarrassing? I want the club to keep pursing while there is hope. When you have Lewis back in your team now that is embarrassing!! Going hard after a player we have signed and can start building around is not embarrassing..

There is no hope, they're not releasing him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
agreed... we are going to look bad enough as it is this year with our on field performances, no need to keep reviving this story for the media to batter us with as well
What the media will do then is bag us for not trying to get him :grinning:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

But there is no hope. They're not letting him go and they don't want the scraps we have to offer.

Burton is vital for them when Cleary plays Origin and they're competing for a premiership. Burton is far more valuable than Napa or some of our other rejects. We should have given them Napa and paid his whole deal when they initially offered it. Now they realise just how crap he is and how important Burton is, that ship has sailed.

Reactions: DT

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the media will do then is bag us for not trying to get him :grinning:
I know... and they have already done stories that our failure to bring across Burton early was our greatest mistake of 2021

you cop it either way but at least there is a certain closure in dismissing bringing Burton over in 2021

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I know... and they have already done stories that our failure to bring across Burton early was our greatest mistake of 2021

you cop it either way but at least there is a certain closure in dismissing bringing Burton over in 2021
Now there's the Benji "saga" *smh*

We'll all be so glad when we get back to being a top club again and can thumb our noses at them all again.