News Mario Fenech endured Footy Show taunts despite the onset of early dementia

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Regardless of whether he was being paid or not, it would probably give someone low self esteem if he was treated like this week in, week out.

Looking back, fatty's just a prick who thought he was funny.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A little bit of help for us with older parents....

Get them to keep their minds busy IE crosswords, sudoku, adult colouring books and quiz shows, apparently it helps when they get older.

Just like muscles....Use it or lose it.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Regardless of whether he was being paid or not, it would probably give someone low self esteem if he was treated like this week in, week out.

Looking back, fatty's just a prick who thought he was funny.

Fatty is a racist redneck **** and isn't liked like they make it look like.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Get them to keep their minds busy IE crosswords, sudoku, adult colouring books and quiz shows, apparently it helps when they get older.

100%

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

it is a disease mate, nothing works. i had my grand father die of it 20 years ago, very bad disease. unfortunately no cure

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
it is a disease mate, nothing works. i had my grand father die of it 20 years ago, very bad disease. unfortunately no cure
Just going off what the doctors would tell the older patients in the wards.

Sorry about your grandfather.

My mate lost his dad to it too, it's a **** of a disease...

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If fatty and sterlo knew he had dementia I'm pretty sure they would not have made fun of him.
I also believe that, in fact I was under the impression sterlo left the show for such reasons. It was becoming too skit based and less footy based.

In fact if memory serves me correctly (hope it's not a hereditary disease) I think towards the end, Fatty was apologetic towards Mario and would send him best wishes without revealing any details.

I think the wife was having a go at the Footy show producers more than anything. Both in making him the scapegoat for the skits and also perhaps not recognising his deteriorating health. Reality is, it's not up to them to diagnose such things or label him as it can become a form of discrimination.

You can't hide something like this and then cry foul when no one notices it.....

All strength to Mario and his family though. They seem like lovely people and really shouldn't have to be going through this...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just going off what the doctors would tell the older patients in the wards.

Sorry about your grandfather.

My mate lost his dad to it too, it's a **** of a disease...
It is a disease but those mental stimulation exercises etc certainly can't hurt older folk, and it's worth helping parents and doing those little tasks together or showing an interest :grinning:

Any intellect from nuclear scientists etc down can get it, so it doesn't discriminate sadly :(

One day hopefully there will be answers.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't see the Mario special on 7. Will watch later.

But I can say from experience with my Mother, if it's the first experience you've had with a loved one with dementia, it can take a while to work out what the hell is going on.

My Mother's doctor told me that sufferers are very adept at covering it up in the early stages. You can ask a question and they pause in answering and you find yourself jumping in with the answer not realising there is a problem. Or you get an answer "oh yes that's right" etc.

If you have no experience of it you can get impatient with the sufferer bc you don't know why they aren't acting their usual same way.

My Mother got very frustrated and called herself silly bc she couldn't think thru simple processes like writing a cheque or xmas cards. It was very depressing for her and us.

Its all very perplexing if you know nothing of dementia.

Her doctor told me not to ask questions bc this rams home the mental anguish they feel and overloads the brain in making them upset at the thought processes they've lost.

It's an evil thing. For families it's terrible as your mum or dad fades away from you. We were lucky in the sense that Mum went to a happy place and the frustration and depression she felt stopped as her brain function eased off.

All I can offer is ...just hang in there. They may not act as tho they appreciate us caring for them...but in our hearts we know they do and would if they were physically ill and not suffering from dementia.

Our parents changed our nappies, toilet trained us, taught us how to eat, tie shoelaces, communicate etc. Do whatever you can to help and read up on this scurge so you have better acknowledge.

They were there for us so do what you can for them. They are a long time gone and regrets and guilt are hard to live with. There will come a time when a new phase of the illness for them goes from anger and aggression, into sadly a hollow shell. Be kind to yourself, take time out and know that you did all you could to make them as comfortable as possible whilst they were under your love and care xx
You are one beautiful daughter.. :kissingheart:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO: They took the piss out of him because he was a moron. And not for one moment do I think they knew. If he was an intelligent man as his wife states, he wouldn't have done this. Sad this has happened to him, but it happens to all walks of life.

He went home after show without the need to fill himself with grog; and he didn't gamble. Sounds like the others were the morons - especially as they made themselves look good by taking advantage of a man who was suffering early onset dementia.

That's just one more reason why I never watch those characters, or their show.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
My mum unfortunately has it and I can attest that it is a horrible disease. My mum has an aggressive personality which my sister's and I are struggling with. She won't let us take control of her meds and she isn't taking them properly herself.

She has managed to break me on numerous ocassions and I simply cannot cope with her anymore. To me, she is a different person.

I cant believe how this disease can change a person so much....
Saw it with my uncle; and where my late father in law was, sharing wards with dementia patients. They can become quite violent, and unreasonable; but that's not them, it's just the dementia. Very sad, and a terrible way to finish what were grand lives.

I feel for you.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Didn't see the Mario special on 7. Will watch later.

But I can say from experience with my Mother, if it's the first experience you've had with a loved one with dementia, it can take a while to work out what the hell is going on.

My Mother's doctor told me that sufferers are very adept at covering it up in the early stages. You can ask a question and they pause in answering and you find yourself jumping in with the answer not realising there is a problem. Or you get an answer "oh yes that's right" etc.

If you have no experience of it you can get impatient with the sufferer bc you don't know why they aren't acting their usual same way.

My Mother got very frustrated and called herself silly bc she couldn't think thru simple processes like writing a cheque or xmas cards. It was very depressing for her and us.

Its all very perplexing if you know nothing of dementia.

Her doctor told me not to ask questions bc this rams home the mental anguish they feel and overloads the brain in making them upset at the thought processes they've lost.

It's an evil thing. For families it's terrible as your mum or dad fades away from you. We were lucky in the sense that Mum went to a happy place and the frustration and depression she felt stopped as her brain function eased off.

All I can offer is ...just hang in there. They may not act as tho they appreciate us caring for them...but in our hearts we know they do and would if they were physically ill and not suffering from dementia.

Our parents changed our nappies, toilet trained us, taught us how to eat, tie shoelaces, communicate etc. Do whatever you can to help and read up on this scurge so you have better acknowledge.

They were there for us so do what you can for them. They are a long time gone and regrets and guilt are hard to live with. There will come a time when a new phase of the illness for them goes from anger and aggression, into sadly a hollow shell. Be kind to yourself, take time out and know that you did all you could to make them as comfortable as possible whilst they were under your love and care xx
Well said; and well done as you coped with it. The most frightening thing is if they wander off and can't be located. A late relative of mine was likely to do that if not watched closely. He even got out of the secured home he was in by watching people use the code on the door. At least we knew he would always be heading to the Belmore RSL Club, even though it was over 30 kilometres from where he was staying. Amazing how far an old fella in pyjamas, can travel.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fatty is a racist redneck **** and isn't liked like they make it look like.
I don't think he is racist. More a product of the 80's and 90's eras.

Fatty copped alot of shit when he had the brain issue in the stunt that went wrong. They took the absolute piss out of him.
Will his family will sue as well?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't think he is racist. More a product of the 80's and 90's eras.

Fatty copped alot of shit when he had the brain issue in the stunt that went wrong. They took the absolute piss out of him.
Will his family will sue as well?
Well Straya is another state of Murika so probably will sue.

And yes, the inbred **** is a racist. Fuck the unfunny ****. I've dealt with him on a few occasions through work.