News Mario Fenech endured Footy Show taunts despite the onset of early dementia

Malla

Reaction score
it is a disease mate, nothing works. i had my grand father die of it 20 years ago, very bad disease. unfortunately no cure
While there is no cure, I think surely there would be some way to identify it early and slow it down. Obviously more needs to be done in research. It's heartbreaking mate and sorry to hear about your pop.

Malla

Reaction score
Regardless of whether he was being paid or not, it would probably give someone low self esteem if he was treated like this week in, week out.

Looking back, fatty's just a prick who thought he was funny.

This makes my blood boil now looking back at it.

Fatty is a gronk, but the producers of the show are worst of the worst. I feel really guilty now that I used to find this stuff funny on the footy show.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Well said; and well done as you coped with it. The most frightening thing is if they wander off and can't be located. A late relative of mine was likely to do that if not watched closely. He even got out of the secured home he was in by watching people use the code on the door. At least we knew he would always be heading to the Belmore RSL Club, even though it was over 30 kilometres from where he was staying. Amazing how far an old fella in pyjamas, can travel.
Oh yes the wandering off part is shockingly hard. We were exhausted and didn't want to do nursing home but decided to try a weeks respite care to see how she would cope. She loved it but the place wouldn't have her back bc she was too curious about the surroundings and she was classified "a wanderer". There's no personal supervision to cater for these people who are only slightly effected yet are still physically ok.

The system actually latently encourages folk to be incarcerated and (possibly) drugged into compliance so they can "manage" them. Wanderers are very restricted in their movements and environment.

For all that care costs, the afflicted person gets very little other than a place to be corralled in far too many instances.

There's sadness all round in all aspects of this illness :(

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fatty is a gronk, but the producers of the show are worst of the worst. I feel really guilty now that I used to find this stuff funny on the footy show.
Dont feel guilty the show was scripted. Mario knew what was going to happen before it happened.

Instead of looking at him as a victim. Look at him as a professional playing his part in the show. And what a great part of the show he was

Malla

Reaction score
Dont feel guilty the show was scripted. Mario knew what was going to happen before it happened.

Instead of looking at him as a victim. Look at him as a professional playing his part in the show. And what a great part of the show he was
Colossal OK

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

They didnt know while he was in the show, and he was just playing a role. He got paid. Without the role he had, he probably wouldn't have been on at all. It's sad if he has dementia now, but telecrap are just sensationalising it. Nobody forced him to show up on the set.

Malla

Reaction score
They didnt know while he was in the show, and he was just playing a role. He got paid. Without the role he had, he probably wouldn't have been on at all. It's sad if he has dementia now, but telecrap are just sensationalising it. Nobody forced him to show up on the set.
Yeah, I still feel guilty though.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Murdoch/Fox putting crap on Nine and buzz being a flop beating it up with no care for Mario.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There’s always three sides to a story.

Blaming Rupert Murdoch? haha talk about a broken record haha

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When was Mario's last appearance on the footy show? Thought it be close to 10 years ago.
Was Mario exhibiting symptoms back then or diagnosed of having dementia then?
Had an ex that had an experience with Fatty. Nothing full on but yeah I wouldnt give him the time of day so Im in no way making excuse for him.
Sterlo doesnt come accross the type to lay the boot in when someones down.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My grandmother died of it. Absolutely horrible way to go, always being lost and confused.

Imagine how bad the players of this era are going to suffer. Bigger bodies and faster collisions.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
fattys come out swinging today
Been updated. Vautin has personal experience with dementia, with the disease claiming the life of his mother, and he recalled her final days. "I watched my mother pass away from dementia, it's not much fun," he said. "I went up and fed my mother lunch the day before she passed. She'd had dementia for 10 years so feeding her was sort of mechanical, it was spoon to the food to the mouth.

I can't see him taking the piss if he knew Mario had 'early' stages of dementia.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Clap clap. Most commonsense post in this debate.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprised Benny Elias hasn't been mentioned when talking about Mario. They had a huge rivalry as opposing hookers for Balmain and Souths.

Even Benny took advantage of Mario back in the day when they packed into a scrum in a semi-final and Benny wanted Blocker to land one on the opposing forwards in the scrum, which Block had no trouble doing, yes it was a different era then.

All hell broke loose, and Benny decided he'd bite down on his own hand hard while fists were flying everywhere and then went to the ref to show him what MARIO had done to him. Ref said I saw it all, "Mario, you're off!" He couldn't believe it but had to go.

Mario played the game hard and wore his heart on his sleeve, but he could be very easily baited.