News Mario Fenech endured Footy Show taunts despite the onset of early dementia

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mario Fenech endured Footy Show taunts despite the onset of early dementia

Rugby league legend Mario Fenech’s wife Rebecca has opened up about her husband’s battle with dementia and how hurt he was by remarks made on The Footy Show as his memory started to deteriorate.

Rugby league legend Mario Fenech would come home “pissed off” that The Footy Show was making him the butt of jokes while his memory was starting to deteriorate in front of the nation.
His wife Rebecca Fenech said the Channel 9 show regularly made fun of her husband, who was diagnosed with early onset dementia seven years ago, aged just 53.

“They took the mickey out of him where, really, he’s a very intelligent man – but that’s the way it rolled,” Mrs Fenech said of Nine’s rugby league variety program.

“He wasn’t a boy’s boy because he didn’t gamble, he didn’t go and have a beer after the show. So I suppose it isolated him a little bit from those people.”

Mrs Fenech said her husband’s parents “certainly weren’t” comfortable with the way Fenech was portrayed and while he loved being on the show and around footy people, “he used to come home pissed off sometimes”.

Mrs Fenech said everyone was aware of her husband’s deteriorating health.

“I mean, there’s been whispers around for a long time.

They know, they saw his decline obviously in The Footy Show as well,” she said.

“It just hasn’t been talked about, it’s silent.”

Mrs Fenech has spoken publicly for the first time about her husband’s early onset dementia, a disease she believes was caused by the numerous concussions and head knocks he suffered during his stellar career.

The 60-year-old’s irreversible condition has now deteriorated to the point where he has virtually no memory left and it won’t be long before he needs full-time care.

In a confronting interview on Channel 7’s Spotlight, to be shown tonight, Ms Fenech speaks about the diagnosis she calls the “silent, lonely killer” and reveals how she and their children, Bonnie and Joe, are coping with the loss of the old Mario.

Mrs Fenech said she went public for all other sufferers and families “and for future generations of children who love rugby league”.

“Our family loves it and Mario, it’s running through his veins, but how can we protect them from these fatal long-term injuries?” she said.

Spotlight 7pm Sunday on 7.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...a/news-story/8b2e5a17e4ba16040c40c7664f97043c

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO: They took the piss out of him because he was a moron. And not for one moment do I think they knew. If he was an intelligent man as his wife states, he wouldn't have done this. Sad this has happened to him, but it happens to all walks of life.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've known about Muzz's problems for a few years now. He's a lovely bloke that would always talk your ear off. The last few years especially his dementia has gotten a lot worse which is very sad to see..

My grandfather had dementia and I've seen others with it first hand.. It's a horrible illness which not only affects the person with it, but takes a huge toll on their family for years and years..

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
IMO: They took the piss out of him because he was a moron. And not for one moment do I think they knew. If he was an intelligent man as his wife states, he wouldn't have done this. Sad this has happened to him, but it happens to all walks of life.

I don't think he was a moron, he was a funny bugger on The Footy Show. The role he played on there was probably the only reason he got a gig on that show so I don't think his family could be too pissed off with that IMO.
And yep as you say, dementia (and the early onset form) happens to people from every walk of life. Still very sad to hear, Mario was an absolute warrior on the field.

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mario’s always been a moron.

It was pretty cruel though when they’d throw to the AFL Footy Show and unleash Sam Newman (a very intelligent man) on him. He would absolute feast on Mario

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Mario’s always been a moron.

It was pretty cruel though when they’d throw to the AFL Footy Show and unleash Sam Newman (a very intelligent man) on him. He would absolute feast on Mario
Should've evened the playing field a bit and thrown them in a room together. Mario would've punched 10 shades of shit out of him. Muzz was one tough hombre on the paddock.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also thought there was a racist bullying type undertone to him being the butt of all jokes.
Always dislike the need to belittle him.

In saying that. I am sure he was happy to cash the weekly wage from channel 9. Beats working for a living.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with above . Don’t think they knew he had dementia etc but the reason he had that role was I believe racist bullying which was supposedly “funny” back then . Don’t forget this was the era of mahatma cote .

also Mario’s generation there was real racism back then not like the plastic racism of today and he worked with people of his generation , says enough

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've known about Muzz's problems for a few years now. He's a lovely bloke that would always talk your ear off. The last few years especially his dementia has gotten a lot worse which is very sad to see..

My grandfather had dementia and I've seen others with it first hand.. It's a horrible illness which not only affects the person with it, but takes a huge toll on their family for years and years..
My mum unfortunately has it and I can attest that it is a horrible disease. My mum has an aggressive personality which my sister's and I are struggling with. She won't let us take control of her meds and she isn't taking them properly herself.

She has managed to break me on numerous ocassions and I simply cannot cope with her anymore. To me, she is a different person.

I cant believe how this disease can change a person so much....

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My mum unfortunately has it and I can attest that it is a horrible disease. My mum has an aggressive personality which my sister's and I are struggling with. She won't let us take control of her meds and she isn't taking them properly herself.

She has managed to break me on numerous ocassions and I simply cannot cope with her anymore. To me, she is a different person.

Many many great people have been broken trying to care for someone with this affliction, and many more will be. One of the tough things is seeing a loved one become a stranger.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Sorry to hear man. I've seen another family friends mother just be extremely nasty all of the time. It makes it hard when the children are caring for her like a baby at times for several years.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Oh gosh..so sorry..it must be so difficult for you and the family....just can’t comprehend your mum’s struggle.. Strength to you bud..