Social Media Luke Keary

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I actually thought Kyle played his best footy at Cronulla, but I am so confident in not only Cam's meticulous nature but his approach to getting to know players/having coffee with them, etc.. I think he and Kyle would have discussed what needs working on and that would be in progress now.. Reed's service will also come into play. I just think Trent was so far off the mark compared to what we're seeing this preseason.
I agree about Ciraldo and Mahoney's service making a difference but I'm unconvinced if Flanagan can or will be able to make those changes even with factoring that in.. We'll soon see when the season starts if he's improved in those areas or not..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The Chooks do get it wrong;

Exhibit A = RTS
Exhibit B = Silva (thank you Chooks for the one and only Rocket)
Exhibit C = Hannant (we should always be grateful that the stupid Chooks cut Ben in 2005 after 8 games)
Exhibit D = SPerrett (another, thank you Chooks)
Exhibit E = Dunn, (thank you Chooks, a vital ingredient for our 1988 Premiership)
Exhibit F = Maloney (handing the Sharks the missing ingredient for their first ever Premiership)
Others = The Sorenson Bros, Faamausili, Takairangi, Tetevano etc etc

Always a Bulldog
Dave Shillington and James Tamou also went on to better heights after leaving them.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree about Ciraldo and Mahoney's service making a difference but I'm unconvinced if Flanagan can or will be able to make those changes even with factoring that in.. We'll soon see when the season starts if he's improved in those areas or not..
fair. I just feel like he's got good foundations for NRL being a defence first game.. if he is working predominantly on his attack/work with ball in hand he is every chance of improving significantly in a better squad.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I suspect a newly confident Flanno, with additional support around him, might just show what warranted his signing this year.

He's a confidence player and relies on others to lead the team.

Mahoney can do that now, which will take pressure off him somewhat.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Before he'd played a game for us I'd heard from him how he'd make it his team and take control. He's played a couple of good games in attack, that's all I can recall. I don't have anything against him. I hope he finally clicks and performs at a higher level than he's done outside of one or two good games. But words are hollow. I know you are into this whole adopted persona thing. But if anything you draw more hostility towards Flanagan than he'd get if you didn't have the urge to sing undeserved praises in his name.
You are making his words out to be much more arrogant than they actually were and signposting your own angenda against him in the process. You forget what Barrett said about him in the press. Barrett paraded him in front of the media as a major signing, directed all this media attention his way and told him he wanted him to take control of the team. Can you really begrudge a kid for making his goal what the coach has asked of him? You need confidence to do well as an NRL half … young halves are SUPPOSED to want to take control of their teams and make them their own. Nobody had a problem with his words until he started struggling…and they fail to factor in the effect Barrett had on his struggles. If Burton said it, you’d all be praising him for his confidence. It’s also worth acknowledging that Kyle had just been cut loose by a club one year into a contact… is it any wonder he felt he had a point to prove (to himself as well as others)?

Flanagan actually did a really good job of controlling the team in his first game and his performances got less convincing as the weeks went on… a pattern with many players Barrett coached. It suggests his problem never was his confidence, but rather the gradual erosion of it. He also showed pretty continuous signs of improvement last year as his confidence slowly came back, which none of you give him credit for.

Maybe I do annoy people and attract a little more heat his way, but considering the amount of vitriol he was on the end of before I even started championing him, I don’t think it makes that much difference.

I have been a member of this forum for over a decade… long enough to see a common pattern. Players have always been singled out for more criticism than they deserve on here, and I’m sure that will always be the way moving forward in the future. Sorry Alan, but I am not taking the rap for this forum’s rather non constructive habit of shitcanning players. I can guarantee Kyle would still be copping it if I wasn’t calling myself the ‘gun… because he was copping it long before I started doing so. At the end of the day, people could just as easily take my act as a joke or ignore it, if they wanted to. They choose to fire up because they like turning players into scapegoats and any excuse to criticise them will do. That’s a fact.

Last edited:

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Flanagan, and although I never have been, I had hoped that the kid come good. If you check past posts I have never sh!tcanned him, but I have been critical at times. I admire your tenacity for sticking up for him but please don't ever blame coaches for his underperformance. A coach is not there to teach the players how to play their position, he is there to teach them his gameplan and how he wants the players to bring that gameplan into reality. Barrett was responsible for a poorly constructed and flawed gameplan which was not designed for the cattle he had, and everyone suffered not just Flanagan. I understand that Flanagan couldn't blossom in a role that was Cleary like in it's design, probably no-one but Cleary would have succeeded, but once Barrett departed, even though he played better under Potter, there was not enough significant improvement to convince me Flanagan is the No.7 we need going forward. We as fans have one more season to see if the "gun" is really a "gun" or just a talented cup player, destined to be moved on for 2024.

Ecca

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
bring back Lachlan Lewis!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Flanagan, and although I never have been, I had hoped that the kid come good. If you check past posts I have never sh!tcanned him, but I have been critical at times. I admire your tenacity for sticking up for him but please don't ever blame coaches for his underperformance. A coach is not there to teach the players how to play their position, he is there to teach them his gameplan and how he wants the players to bring that gameplan into reality. Barrett was responsible for a poorly constructed and flawed gameplan which was not designed for the cattle he had, and everyone suffered not just Flanagan. I understand that Flanagan couldn't blossom in a role that was Cleary like in it's design, probably no-one but Cleary would have succeeded, but once Barrett departed, even though he played better under Potter, there was not enough significant improvement to convince me Flanagan is the No.7 we need going forward. We as fans have one more season to see if the "gun" is really a "gun" or just a talented cup player, destined to be moved on for 2024.
I can’t really agree with the first part of your post. Coaches are directly responsible for helping to develop players… especially young and relatively inexperienced ones. Why do you think so many players have been written off at this club and have gone on to play much better at other clubs in recent years? Coaching definitely plays a role in the making or breaking of young players. That’s not to say players don’t hold responsibility for their own results, but if they don’t start off with the right building blocks, it’s hard to fault them.

I also don’t think it’s realistic to expect a player who has been so down on confidence to just flick a switch and start firing on all cylinders. It takes time to rebuild that confidence. Especially when a player was treated as irresponsibly as Flanno was by Barrett. The signs I saw from Kyle last year suggest to me that he is capable of doing a decent job for us and I’m betting we’ll see a lot more improvement after a full off season with a new (and hopefully much more competent) coach.

As to whether he is the best long term option for us, I’m not sure. But he’s the best we have for this year and I think it’s sad that people don’t support him more.

Having said that, you aren’t under any obligation to be a fan of his. We all get frustrated and criticise players sometimes. I just think some take it too far (with Flanno and others). I’m not suggesting you are one of those people. From the comments of yours that I’ve seen, you seem to be a pretty fair and level headed supporter. Even just now you’ve acknowledged some of the hurdles Kyle has faced (being asked to play like Cleary etc). That’s more than can be said for a lot of fans.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I suspect a newly confident Flanno, with additional support around him, might just show what warranted his signing this year.

He's a confidence player and relies on others to lead the team.

Mahoney can do that now, which will take pressure off him somewhat.
Exactly. His confidence has taken sone major hits in recent years. I think the off season will have done him a lot of good.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You are making his words out to be much more arrogant than they actually were and signposting your own angenda against him in the process. You forget what Barrett said about him in the press. Barrett paraded him in front of the media as a major signing, directed all this media attention his way and told him he wanted him to take control of the team. Can you really begrudge a kid for making his goal what the coach has asked of him? You need confidence to do well as an NRL half … young halves are SUPPOSED to want to take control of their teams and make them their own. Nobody had a problem with his words until he started struggling…and they fail to factor in the effect Barrett had on his struggles. If Burton said it, you’d all be praising him for his confidence. It’s also worth acknowledging that Kyle had just been cut loose by a club one year into a contact… is it any wonder he felt he had a point to prove (to himself as well as others)?

Flanagan actually did a really good job of controlling the team in his first game and his performances got less convincing as the weeks went on… a pattern with many players Barrett coached. It suggests his problem never was his confidence, but rather the gradual erosion of it. He also showed pretty continuous signs of improvement last year as his confidence slowly came back, which none of you give him credit for.

Maybe I do annoy people and attract a little more heat his way, but considering the amount of vitriol he was on the end of before I even started championing him, I don’t think it makes that much difference.

I have been a member of this forum for over a decade… long enough to see a common pattern. Players have always been singled out for more criticism than they deserve on here, and I’m sure that will always be the way moving forward in the future. Sorry Alan, but I am not taking the rap for this forum’s rstger non constructive habit of shitcanning players. I can guarantee Kyle would still be copping it if I wasn’t calling myself the ‘gun… because he was copping it long before I started doing so. At the end of the day, people could just as easily take my act as a joke or ignore it, if they wanted to. They choose to fire up because they like turning posters into scapegoats and any excuse to criticise them will do. That’s a fact.
I don't have an agenda against him. I just know that he didn't reach the heights we'd hoped for when he signed. I didn't watch that much of last season. So if he improved a lot under Potter I didn't see it. I'm not over critical of any player. But I also don't want to sugar coat it if someone has deficiencies in their game. I've pointed out what I think are his good points as well as the bad.

I'm not going into depth to respond to everything. I just don't have time. I know that certain players tend to cop flack mercilessly. But there's something that gets under people's skin when a player that needs to improve gets put forward as a champion. And you push the envelope with it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't have an agenda against him. I just know that he didn't reach the heights we'd hoped for when he signed. I didn't watch that much of last season. So if he improved a lot under Potter I didn't see it. I'm not over critical of any player. But I also don't want to sugar coat it if someone has deficiencies in their game. I've pointed out what I think are his good points as well as the bad.

I'm not going into depth to respond to everything. I just don't have time. I know that certain players tend to cop flack mercilessly. But there's something that gets under people's skin when a player that needs to improve gets put forward as a champion. And you push the envelope with it.
Sorry, but I’m not taking responsibility for this forum’s shitty behaviour, and not should I be expected to. This is not a chicken and egg type debate. The hating started long before I adopted the ‘gun persona. It’s a demonstrable fact. Not that I can be bothered digging through the archives to find the proof.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry, but I’m not taking responsibility for this forum’s shitty behaviour, and not should I be expected to. This is not a chicken and egg type debate. The hating started long before I adopted the ‘gun persona. It’s a demonstrable fact. Not that I can be bothered digging through the archives to find the proof.
You do you. Just seems like a form of trolling now to me. Not sure if that's your intention. But anyone that throws this place into a combative mood gets on my nerves.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pretty sure you have put him in the spotlight more though @Flanagun.

Anyway what I'd like to know is how much longer are ppl going to keep banging on about how he will go? It's never ending ffs.
The trials will give us a glimpse then 2 weeks later we will see from round 1 onwards how he fairs..hopefully goes ok.

If not...next!!!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Anyway what I'd like to know is how much longer are ppl going to keep banging on about how he will go? It's never ending ffs.
The trials will give us a glimpse then 2 weeks later we will see from round 1 onwards how he fairs..hopefully goes ok.

If not...next!!!
agree although i get some encouragement he score a try in the opposed session. he is fit and i know from experience you play your best footy when you are, so fingers crossed, we need him to step up this year

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You do you. Just seems like a form of trolling now to me. Not sure if that's your intention. But anyone that throws this place into a combative mood gets on my nerves.
This place is pretty much always in a combative mood.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

If not...next!!!
If people can’t take a joke, it ain’t my problem, Fam.

And I’d you’ll look at my ‘gun related interactions on here, you’ll find a good percentage of them are started by others, anyway. @Bulldogs09’s try hard rip off thread being a great case in point.