Like Thompson staggering deal revealed

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing which is accurate in the article is he'd take up 20-25% of the super league cap based on his current wage, so there's no point him going home unless we tear up his deal and as if he is going to agree to that. We're going to have to look to an NRL club to take him and we'd have to tip in big dollars. Either way it's a lose/lose situation for us.

I get it's easy to talk about things after the event but Luke Thompson wasn't an NRL player and he wasn't going to attract anyone to come over based on his signing. We should have looked for a far better marquee signing at that time.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes we had to pay more to entice star players to sign with us but the unnecessary gamble was,
1. Thompson was unproven player in the NRL,
2. Cotric failed all his efforts to play centre at Canberra.
Both players were way over their realistic value !
That’s fair, but given we were struggling to attract talent at the time, is what it is. There’s also Barrett signings that flopped too. It’s not a perfect science.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I thought his first stint last week was one of his best for us

But

His second shift was a disaster …we were coming to get the Dragons late and he made an inexcusable handling error in attacking position

Then doubles down on that error with his failure to prevent the winning try (Barge over)
That was my favourite part, the crowd started going crazy and then Thompson drops the ball about 10 seconds later and then let's the fat fuck Lawrie score his first try the following set LOL. Crowd went silent.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious About RL are pretty hit and miss with most stuff.

His main problem is that he is paranoid about getting sin-binned/sent off/suspended - refer to Shoop getting binned recently which turned the game. This has tamed his aggression, same with TPJ. It's a pity they can't learn from someone like Fish at Panther, controlled aggression in defence and hard running in attack.
With the new judiciary rules all players previous incidents were wiped.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s fair, but given we were struggling to attract talent at the time, is what it is. There’s also Barrett signings that flopped too. It’s not a perfect science.
I agree, there are no guarantees in whom ever we sign but some are less risky than others.
I wish I could say water under the bridge, unfortunately we are still effected by these decisions who ever had made them. Lets hope we are making better decisions now !

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
More speculation.

I agree we’re probably paying too much for the return we get but I doubt it’s the amount quoted.

Also when we signed him, we were trying to entice players so we had to pay more to get the likes of Thompson and Cotric to sign. Of course it’s a different argument as to how that strategy worked out but everyone has 20/20 hindsight, don’t they.
He was a panic buy in the middle of the Pt Macquarie saga. We paid overs as the Titans were keen on him
He was touted as the “Best prop in the world!”….until he played in the NRL

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was a panic buy in the middle of the Pt Macquarie saga. We paid overs as the Titans were keen on him
You mean untill he played at the bulldogs.
Any other team would have played to hia strengths.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not quite. The Thompson deal was done and announced on 4 Feb 2020. Port Mac happened the weekend of 29 Feb (I remember because I have a mate who only has a birthday every 4 years). The scandal only emerged on 10 March, 2 days before season kick-off. So to suggest Thompson’s deal was somehow tangled in the PM saga is simply wrong.

That said, I agree he was untested in the NRL and of course Holbrook was a threat having coached him at St. Helens and was moving to the NRL himself then.

Should we have gotten into a bidding war?
Probably not, but again, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which administration allowed this atrocity?!

I will be at the buffet at Revesby Workers club to drown my sorrows

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In all honesty a hooker that can time a pass to perfection will allow him to hit the line at Pace and we'll have that in Mahoney. I didn't read what this latest opinion piece is saying he's on money wise. But unless it comes direct from the player, manager or club it's a guess.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not the smartest tool in the shed. He's just comes off confused when he makes the key error in a game.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's got one more year on his deal after this year doesn't he? So it shouldn't be too hard to move him on if we pay 250-300k to do it. If not, he'll be here next year and we get all 800k off the books for the 2024 season.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
$800k plop forward. Thanks Dean Pay and Lynette.
Hey at least Lynette gave us a nice story in the paper about how she and Andrew Hill flew over to the UK to offer this undersized flop huge money which made him choose us over other clubs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Which administration allowed this atrocity?!

I will be at the buffet at Revesby Workers club to drown my sorrows
Careful former Godfather demoted to Boss - as I recall you ran into some trouble at RWC previously :-):

92CCA42B-15DF-4A45-B2F8-4CFD2ACFDD42.jpeg

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my favourite part, the crowd started going crazy and then Thompson drops the ball about 10 seconds later and then let's the fat fuck Lawrie score his first try the following set LOL. Crowd went silent.
Wasn’t that waddell

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
WAS a big fan, and thought with a bit of help he could show us what he could really do.

Turns out thats all he has. Still find it strange he can play a game like last year against the Sharks, also the game against Penrith when he raked the eyes lol, but doesn't do it enough.

He showed awesome leg speed, foot work tackle busts. Even the first half of the recent game he looked damaging.

His defense is weak and not consistent enough, actually not consistent at all.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should of learnt our lessons on keeping the cap balanced from the Desaster Hasler period that saw Greg Feastpood and Aiden 4th tackle Tolman on $800k salaries . You pay overs
For forwards it less you can spend on a spine and support cast.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We had paid 800K for DWZ.. weve made too many dud decisions in recruitment for too long now..

Although TPJ JAC Burton Mahoney Kikau and Vaughan all good recruits..