News In the Doghouse

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Watch his game last week & there were definite changes in his playing style. He took the line on more often, ran straighter lines, closed ok about 50% of end of sets. Still short of FG material but appears to be working on his game.
Destiny in his in hands now. Needs to work hard, more positive involvement & more energy. Never know what can happen.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
After reading the articles about the way he’s carried on at the roosters and now us which club in their right mind takes him on. I’d say we’re stuck with him now.
I know it seems improbable now but far more disruptive and troublesome players like BJ Leilua have been signed by three or four clubs so I still think Flanagan gets another chance. Especially considering there is a shortage of halves.

Our best bet is if Shane gets another coaching gig. Or if Canberra or the Tigers take a chance on him if we pay part of his contract. Either way, this is why you don't give fringe players three year deals because you're stuck with them if they don't work out.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know it seems improbable now but far more disruptive and troublesome players like BJ Leilua have been signed by three or four clubs so I still think Flanagan gets another chance. Especially considering there is a shortage of halves.

Our best bet is if Shane gets another coaching gig. Or if Canberra or the Tigers take a chance on him if we pay part of his contract. Either way, this is why you don't give fringe players three year deals because you're stuck with them if they don't work out.
Maybe Ricky takes him on (fingers crossed). I never understood why we offered 3 years considering the circumstances. Then we sign Burton to 2 years with the third in his favour.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch his game last week & there were definite changes in his playing style. He took the line on more often, ran straighter lines, closed ok about 50% of end of sets. Still short of FG material but appears to be working on his game.
Destiny in his in hands now. Needs to work hard, more positive involvement & more energy. Never know what can happen.
Exactly!
Having the old man in the media talking him up isn’t going to help him!
I’m sure Shane is talking to journos and his manager all the time about how he has been mis treated
He was brought here to do a job! He hasn’t done it
Fix himself up as above running and producing results or move on
League is a result business now

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Head Down, Bum Up, Work Hard & You'll Be Right!!!

I thought I gave this advise earlier when you were dropped, but this is really as simple as life gets - not just footy.
You wouldn't want to have your bum up with Donkey Dick Elliott and Big Papa lurking about. Flanno wouldn't be able to walk straight for weeks

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know if there's any truth to this or not. But if Flanno has sought a meeting with Barrett with their manager there in order to try pressuring the coach to select him he's deluded. Are we supposed to all start bleating about poor Flanagan and the fact that he is among the tens of thousands of footballers that dream of being NRL stars but aren't quite cutting it.

I have a cousin who was touted as a future NRL star and played in the Wests Tigers feeder system until he was 18. He played very hard and had a great skillset but it became clear by the time he was 18 that he wasn't going to get much bigger than he was at 17. He's an absolute tank at five foot five, but would still struggle to make much impact in the NRL. He was good enough to play for NSW cup sides for years but never made a dollar out of the game while still having played hard enough to have gone through about 17 different surgeries related to football injuries. Numerous times I spoke to him when he was injured and suggested that he might be better off dropping back to where the game was a bit less hardcore and he insisted that if he ever got to play a single game of NRL he'd have done himself really proud. My cousin isn't alone in this mindset. I'm sure that the vast majority of those on the fringes of the NRL would sacrifice a nut to be granted a paying contract and a chance to make an NRL position their own.

When I hear the journos insisting that we feel sorry for poor fucking Flanno I'd like to get them to go and speak to players like my cousin who aren't entitled ***** that think the game owes them chance after chance. If it's true that Flanagan is trying to rock the boat and pressure Barrett into selecting him I'd love for Flanno to meet my cousin and let my cousin tell him what a fucking sook he's sounding like. If he's not happy to be getting paid to play a game he should love and work his ass off to get back into the NRL, Flanno should seriously start looking at other career options because having a little cry about it wont magically get you back into the top 17.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I feel for the kid to an extent. He was paraded around as the saviour. The future and face of the clubs rebuild.

Is it all on him if that’s not within his capabilities? The club signed him. They are the supposed talent identifiers and developers.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he doesn't wanna fuck off then he can rot in Reggie's for another 2 years

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we should continue telling him he is part of our plans, while playing him in lower grade. With his attitude he will quit for an opportunity elsewhere, rather than us having to get rid of him and pay some of his freight.
Unfortunately with the way the Salary Cap works even if he quits and goes elsewhere. Unless the new club picks up the full contract amount, we are stuck with whatever he has signed for under the cap. For the duration of his contract term.

So either way we will pay some freight regardless.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Self entitlement- It’s a different world we live in these.days.

Even Steve Mortimer got dropped to reserve grade early in his career to work on his weaknesses and he went on to be our greatest ever player.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
2 things for me,

1. shut up and show if you can play or not,
2. If true it's a big signing fuk up by T-Baz.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately with the way the Salary Cap works even if he quits and goes elsewhere. Unless the new club picks up the full contract amount, we are stuck with whatever he has signed for under the cap. For the duration of his contract term.

So either way we will pay some freight regardless.
If he quits the contract we owe him nothing.. just like raiders English halfback. So long as its a mutual agreement we would be in the clear