News In the Doghouse

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id say daddy advised him to do that
I agree that his dad has got in his ear. He needs to get his form on the field right before he drags his manager into discussions. From what I’ve seen of him, he’s overrated and it will be a relief if he thinks he can leave and do better somewhere else - just go.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with you in some aspects. But I follow the mantra of never forget where you come from, we were are at the bottom and took a kid at his lowest... regardless of whats gone on behind the scenes the club needs to help the boy.
I hope they're helping him get his confidence back and getting his head right and staying positive. But even then, a lot of that is up to Flanagan and how he responds. If they find another club willing to take him, they shouldn't hesitate. It's in his best interests also if they offer him the opportunity to play FG.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He Has nothing bro, watch him in the reserves. Actually fucking worse performances than FG
I've been watching, the kids broken on confidence but blinded by a life of being coddled. He needs to be stripped back and built up. I originally wanted Clifford, but if Flanno is dumped then I'll be on the Biondi Odo train

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
doghouse to shithouse

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He didnt run once today. Really very ordinary. Think he is frightened to get tackled. He is exactly whete he belongs. Pity he is on good money.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It's looking like we'd be better off moving Flanagan on paying all of his wage besides minimum wage (can't see anyone else taking him not under these conditions at this stage) and using the NSW Cup/top 30 spot on someone else. Anyone that's not good enough for reserve grade needs to go regardless what we have to contribute imo.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Based on the idea that this supposed meeting actualy took place and that this wasn't just a lie from Wideload.

I've seen a couple of parts of his game that are ok. He throws a very good long cut out pass, he's adequate in defense for a half, he has the foresite to support well on kicks now and then. I haven't seen much of a short kicking game from him and as others have mentioned he doesn't take on the line much either. I would say that most of the articles where he was very much hyped up, the hype came from himself saying how he was going to take control of the team. He got plenty of chances to do that and now that he's been demoted due to failing at that he needs to realise that the ball is in his court with regards to earning that promotion again. I'm certain that he's been given a list of things to improve. Nobody but him can do the work to make his career a success.

I agree that we need to look after the mental health of our players. But that doesn't include giving them a starting NRL spot because they're upset. If there's truth to the suggestion that flanagan is exploring his options after not getting promoted after a week in reggies, he's obviously not of the opinion that he needs to improve and therefore unlikely to be working on the areas that the coaching staff have highlighted.
That's what I like about him the cut out pass that he found Joey Manu with often. In pre season I was excited at the thought of him laying those on for Cotric who I thought would have started as our right centre... Time will tell how this plays out, with his dad's input I'll think it'll end ugly, but hopefully the kid strips it back and fights for the right to play first grade with us throughout his contract.

Kandos ‘67

New Pup
Reaction score
I agree that his dad has got in his ear. He needs to get his form on the field right before he drags his manager into discussions. From what I’ve seen of him, he’s overrated and it will be a relief if he thinks he can leave and do better somewhere else - just go.
Mistakes all round made around Kyle. This signing is all on Barrett, he should have done better due diligence, it’s no secret that Shane isn’t just Kyle’s dad he’s his 24/7 personal coach. It’s why Kyle is mentally so flaky. I expected Barrett & his coaching staff improve Kyle not just as a player but as person. Very poor reflection on the Club. Right now Flanno is an ordinary player struggling to impress at NSW Cup level. The objective of the coach & his staff is to make each player better under his tutelage.
There was a recruitment committee meeting held prior to the Barrett/Beavis/Flanagan meeting to discuss Flanagan moving forward…& the consequences of signing Johnson- a 30year old half 12months after Achilles’ tendon injury……talk about panic buys & band aid solutions!

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading the articles about the way he’s carried on at the roosters and now us which club in their right mind takes him on. I’d say we’re stuck with him now.
He was a dud HB at the Chooks so no surprise he's a dud HB here as well. If I was the coach the only reason I would eventually put him back to first grade this year would be to make use of the 450k he takes up in the cap and he's with us for the next 2 years provided he massively improves. If he rots away in reserve grade his value goes way down and no other club will take him off our hands unless we pay massive freight. If he pulls the finger out and re-builds his whole game he may have a future in first grade somewhere.
L + W have shown they are duds for years and as they're off contract sooner they have no future with us. The dogs would be absolute idiots to re-sign them.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still believe in not giving up on anyone even if they give up themselves...
I know it is a mutual responsibility but great clubs can make diamonds out of rocks...Sometimes :grinning:
We should give Flanno the benefit of the doubt and time since he's on 450k for 3 years. But first he has to learn how to run the ball, engage the defence, commit and isolate defenders, how to throw money balls to put players into gaps, learn how/when/where to kick etc. Basically he needs to learn all the fundamentals of a HB because he currently has very little of those skills.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Head Down, Bum Up, Work Hard & You'll Be Right!!!

I thought I gave this advise earlier when you were dropped, but this is really as simple as life gets - not just footy.
Exactly - especially when you're only young and being grossly overpaid.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Now I know how roosters fans felt when flanno kept talking to the media about them.
Toughen up sis

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's what I like about him the cut out pass that he found Joey Manu with often. In pre season I was excited at the thought of him laying those on for Cotric who I thought would have started as our right centre... Time will tell how this plays out, with his dad's input I'll think it'll end ugly, but hopefully the kid strips it back and fights for the right to play first grade with us throughout his contract.
It's better for Flanagan in the long run if he takes this demotion as a wake up call that he's got plenty to learn and actually takes any advice on board. I don't doubt that he'll probably get another opportunity elsewhere if we let him go and pay some freight. But to be close to a good starting #7 he's got to ensure he has some kicking options other than the bomb (which is about the only kick I've seen him do) and makes the defense commit to tackling him rather than just waiting for his pass.

I'm just not encouraged by the external signs that he's feeling hard done by to be back in the lower grades. Take your medicine, get better and let your footy do the talking.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn’t be behind Avo after that game

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Skipping through most of his touches in reggies, very unremarkable you can just tell what he's going to do with the ball before it gets to him. 1 or 2 okay touches that could've led to something but didn't, a lot of dropped ball from players around him. Still don't know why he is still kicking in play he's one of the worst kickers I've seen in the game and STILL shows no signs of improvement on that part of his game.