How long will Wakeham last at 7?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wakeham was a 10 compared to Averillo. If Wakeham had been the half with the effort shown in Round 1 and 2 we would have won both games by 20.
bahaha

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
i think we looked better against Brisbane imo. But anyway, the decision has been made, so we just need to support wakeham and hopefully we can improve from last night.
Be nice to get a dry track, the wet doesnt help anyone
We all know its a case of 6 of one, and half a dozen the other. All 7 options are pretty much not adequate.

Agree we just have to stick with Wakes for a few weeks although with the tough games we have coming up, probably these structural problems with 9 and the 13 plays will be the main determining factors.....unless Burton and Fox can absolutely dominate they are our only hope with individual brilliance (if they can pull it off).

The main problem is Barrett's ideas and structures which aren't suitable for our players in their current form and abilities.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It didn't work, clear as day. Posters on here are just letting their hate boners run wild and are ignoring the obvious. The team and Burton were FAR better with Averillo in the side. I'm not saying we were great before but the bit of control and organisation we had during the first two rounds wasn't there. Apparently it's all just a coincidence and had nothing to do with Jake being out, it was because of the conditions, the forwards all of a sudden losing direction, us being unlucky, etc....basically a big LOL. Manly were there for the taking and we bottled it, they aren't anywhere near the same team that flogged us last season. Meanwhile Cowboys are second, you know the cowboys we beat. ha.
You're on drugs. We scored 3 tries in 2 games with Averillo in the team and none of them were because of him. 1 of the 3 tries was because of a miracle pass by Braidan Burns.

Wakeham is not the long term answer either but at least he contributed to us scoring tries. He started the game on fire before being taken off for a head knock.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We all know its a case of 6 of one, and half a dozen the other. All 7 options are pretty much not adequate.

Agree we just have to stick with Wakes for a few weeks although with the tough games we have coming up, probably these structural problems with 9 and the 13 plays will be the main determining factors.....unless Burton and Fox and absolutely dominate they are our only hope with individual brilliance (if they can pull it off).

The main problem is Barrett's ideas and structures which aren't suitable for our players in their current form and abilities.
one very important structural point that to me was glaring. Inside the last 10 minutes i think it was, we had 2 attacking scrums. We put on zero moves.
Scrums is where we can use Fox speed and set something up, we offered nothing. And that comes back to Baz.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're having a really emotional reaction to this.

I don't have a hate boner for Averillo, I supported him all last year, I've defended him when I thought it was fair, you know all that but this Wakeham narrative you're pushing is ridiculous.

We had a 12% possession swing from last week to this week, that's not Wakeham's fault.

We had a 500m TMG drop, not Wakeham's fault.

We had a 12m decrease in Average Set Distance, not Wakeham's fault.

We had 13 less offloads, not Wakeham's fault.

We conceded more than twice the amount of penalties, and five times the amount of ruck infringements. Wakeham had zero of both.

The same amount of errors, Wakeham had none.
Perfectly said !

I’m no Wakeham fan but this is spot on.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You're on drugs. We scored 3 tries in 2 games with Averillo in the team and none of them were because of him. 1 of the 3 tries was because of a miracle pass by Braidan Burns.

Wakeham is not the long term answer either but at least he contributed to us scoring tries. He started the game on fire before being taken off for a head knock.
I was stunned he made it back. Looked like he was in Wonderland

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

^^^^^^ FACTS!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Wrong

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I was stunned he made it back. Looked like he was in Wonderland
Agreed, I thought he was going to fail the HIA for sure.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
one very important structural point that to me was glaring. Inside the last 10 minutes i think it was, we had 2 attacking scrums. We put on zero moves.
Scrums is where we can use Fox speed and set something up, we offered nothing. And that comes back to Baz.
And the captaincy tbf and probably halves. Burton needs to step up with our 7 dilemma and start being more vocal and organising.

Look at Hynes. Never shuts up.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am because i'm angry and i wasn't angry after round 1 and 2. Their were small positives and we threw it all away, simple as that. He could've picked fucking Flanagan to start the year and i would absolutely whinge at the time but still accept that you need to give him more than just 2 fucking games. It was a ridiculous decision, even more ridiculous when you actually look at our draw and who we have coming.

Do the stats for round 1? Are you also confident ruling out the possibility that our forwards lacked direction because of the key change? It was not an issue in round 1 and 2. JMK also turned up the dial on his crap from dh...again, possibility or a lack of direction. Burton with an absolute disaster class of a performance, just a coincidence and nothing to do with the change? hmmmm
Nar I'm sure there was continuity hiccups and it wasn't the right game or conditions to make the change but it's grossly unfair to say it's exclusively Wakeham's fault.

I'd be interested to know when the decision was made and if Wakeham had trained there last week.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nar I'm sure there was continuity hiccups and it wasn't the right game or conditions to make the change but it's grossly unfair to say it's exclusively Wakeham's fault.

I'd be interested to know when the decision was made and if Wakeham had trained there last week.
I'm blaming the change rather than Wakeham directly. That was our worst performance all year, we were disorganised, lacked intensity and created fewer chances. That was not the same team i saw small wins from the last 2 weeks and i think the ridiculous decision Baz made was a massive factor in that. I think the change was made early, whispers were there but didn't have a good source confirm it.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The halves are a problem for sure. But Wakeham should stay as he offered more than Averillo.
The other huge problem was the lack of contribution by TPJ and the low quality work of JJ.
Patolo has to lift his work rate immensely to be considered for a start.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Wakeham will stay there for 2-3. Don't know why but our halves (Av, Wakes, BBO, Flanno etc) look so small compared to other teams, or maybe Burton just dwarfs them.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have been on the Wakeham hate train previously.
I think I may have argued with a few Wakeham fan boys last year perhaps.

And I wasn't excited when I found out he was replacing Avo for the manly game.

But, I was wrong.
The kid exceeded my expectations.
Still a lot of work to do, but I was pleased to see him have a red hot crack.

The far lip and head knock slowed him down a bit unfortunately.

Hope he take his opportunity with both hands
Good luck to him.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't help when we are getting pounded with penalties and 6 agains and the opposition are getting away with doing penalty worthy and 6 again infringements against us week in and week out.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im starting to think that way too
He is worth at least 4-6pts per game with his goal kicking alone. When you are scoring as little as we are every point counts. Question how many points his defence is worth?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

The try he scored was no skill, was literally a terrible play, almost completely missed the ball. Just extremely lucky that we had some clumsy second rower there to spill the ball in pissing wet grass. The other try was all dufty. We scored 3 tries because up until the cowboys vs broncos game on sunday, brisbane and cowboys were both in equal with us for the top 3 in the best defensive teams.