1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Have we forgotten one important factor ... ?

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by Slovenia Steve, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Slovenia Steve

Slovenia Steve Forum Regular

Another player choosing someone / anyone but us. Hard to take. Can understand the frustration. We all want big signings, so it's hard seeing so many players slip through our fingers for whatever reason.

Come on here day-in-day-out and every man and his dog is ripping into our recruitment team. Should be paying this much more. Not offering enough. Lacking negotiation skills. Etc. Etc.

Very very few have mentioned the biggest factor in all of this imo. Our coach.

Let's not forget it's his role to sell his vision of the team to potential new players. He's got to pitch our values and what it'd mean for a player to join us. Any player worth his grain of salt will be asking any coach about how they see that player fitting into the system. Standard imo.

So ... doesn't seem that many players are that attracted to playing with him it seems?

And that gets us to the BIGGEST factor. Are we all sold on him being the right coach for us anyway? We're talking about signing big players, but we need someone to inspire them also. Why aren't we talking more about our coach?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Bulldogs09

Bulldogs09 Immortal

Let’s be serious.

We have no recruitment team.

I’m not sold on our coach at all.

I think everyone seems to forget that up until the last month we where fighting the spoon with the titans and where down the bottom most of the year.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
  3. boggie23

boggie23 Kennel Addict

But because the club said we will struggle until 2021 that excuses their on field performances. Also I guess it excuses the reason we are one week into preseason with no major sponsor too.....

We are a basket case. And any fan or forum member that wants to deny it has something pulled over their eyes.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. KLil

KLil Immortal

Be patient grasshopper.. build it and they will come.

We are building nicely.. next two years will be great theatre and the 5-10 after that will be even better.

• Like Like x 8
    • Best Post Best Post x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bulldogs09

Bulldogs09 Immortal

Yep

6. Boxer

Boxer THE BOSS Gilded

I’m not sold on the coach either but just cause we haven’t made a big signing doesn’t mean it’s the end of the world.

people are forgetting that the team bonded and started to play with heart which dramatically strengthened our defence, we all most made the top 8
    Just relax have faith the club is on the rise.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. Typical dog

Typical dog Forum Regular

We are slowly getting there. Heres the team for round 1 last year.
    1 Moses Mbye
    2 Brett Morris
    3 Josh Morris
    4 Will Hopoate
    5 Marcelo Montoya
    6 Matthew Frawley
    7 Kieran Foran
    8 Aaron Woods
    9 Michael Lichaa
    10 David Klemmer
    11 Joshua Jackson (c)
    12 Raymond Faitala-Mariner
    13 Danny Fualalo

14 Adam Elliott
    15 Aiden Tolman
    16 Greg Eastwood
    17 Jeremy Marshall-King

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Harding

Chris Harding Steam Powered Dog Premium Member

When has the Kennel ever shut up about the coach?

Every successful coach started as a nobody, and built their reputation with the team. Maybe in another year or two we'll have the right combination of players with our coach; then we might see other clubs' stars lining up to sign with us - or we might just breed the next generation of NRL reps.

I've been around for over 70 years; supporting this team most of my life, and I can assure you it's worth the wait for success. Not all gratification is instant.

• Best Post Best Post x 8
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  9. Bulldogs09

Bulldogs09 Immortal

That’s one way to put a positive outlook with it.

I also want to point out I’m not bagging you at all voxer your posts are always pretty reasonable.

Though the other view is we where last most of the year and the last few weeks we had nothing to lose, threw the ball around and a few teams took us lightly and we jagged a few wins to get up to 12th and got more wins in the last month then we did for the first three or four which seems to patch the cracks for a few.

The other teams have improved by recruiting and returned of injured players too.

10. Boxer

Boxer THE BOSS Gilded

If we start the way we finished last year what would you think then?

11. Bulldogs09

Bulldogs09 Immortal

If we start the year the same as we did last year then what?

If we have the second worst for and against again ?

If we continue to struggle to score like a bum in a brothel?

If we play like we did for most of the year and lose ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. SPEARTAKVIDREFS

SPEARTAKVIDREFS Forum Regular

Its a catastrophe and no one one wants to talk about the real issue, the cleaners. If they did there job properly we wouldn't be in this mess.
    If we payed them say 7.6M for the next 6 years wed start attracting marque players and wouldn't have to pay overs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Previously AlphaPapaBravo

Nah I'm not the biggest pay fan (may be converted if we actually start well for once). But Des couldn't attract any talent either...besides family association the only real player he signed was Rona and arguably RFM which was a trade anyways. So case in point money is always the main factor, we are just looking for the right player for the right price

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Boxer

Boxer THE BOSS Gilded

That’s exactly what I’m saying it can go either way we have to wait and see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Where's Pea?

Where's Pea? Est. 1979

This is pretty much the crux of it. Yes we've been falling behind in recruitment and yes we haven't been competitive enough to make the Top 4 or even the 8 for that matter, but c'mon you gotta give the club some credit. Especially with signing of DWZ and how much of an impact he has had. And that back end of the season the boys were genuinely digging in for eachother and now we're going into the off season on a high note. That's surely a good thing? Even a negative Nelly like myself can see that.
    I'm not really a fan of Pay as a coach atm, but credit where credit is due.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Scoooby

Scoooby Immortal Premium Member Gilded

I’m not sold on the coach or the board at the moment, which is fair.. but it is what it is,and we have to try an have a little faith and see what 2020 brings an how it plays out..!! I’m hoping for something great to happen and will hold judgment until at least round 5.. gotta give em the benefit here lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SweetFA

SweetFA Forum Regular

Pay is a deer in the headlights.
    Who wants to come to an organisation where the coach’s future is unclear? How can Pay sell his plan moving forward to any prospect ?
    It appears at the moment that he has very little say in recruitment/retention. It’s a worry also for our youngsters coming through- (we lost Tommy Talau this time last year.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Kennel Addict Gilded x2 Premium Member Gilded

Pay has been here for two years... in that time he has had a lot of main stayers go, and has had a lot of young and inexperienced players to work with... and not to mention that his only experienced half has been missing for most of that time.... this year we finished the season as one of the form teams and were beating top 8 top teams who had much more to play for... haters can boot

• Like Like x 4
  19. SPEARTAKVIDREFS

SPEARTAKVIDREFS Forum Regular

The most important thing is that we start next season off well. There is no reason why we cant. If we play attractive footy and get a roll on, we will be an attractive prospect for potential signings. We all know contracts arent worth shit, that anything contract wise can come out of left field. Example DWZ. So called marque players have signed for lesser clubs in recent years ie Titans, Knights. We just need the off season to be better than the last 2 and we fire round 1 next year. The media and commentators will be lining up to lick Pays balls if we are top 4 six rounds in to next year. That will have an impact on potential signings.

20. The Big Issue

The Big Issue Participant

I’m glad we haven’t signed any of these “big names” and the huge salaries they are expecting. We don’t want to slip back into the days where Des Hasler messes our salary cap to the point where it has taken several seasons to get over and still a few to come. I know someone reading will straight away say “look what he’s done with manly and they have cap problems.” Well not huge cap problems and their money is tied up in their 7,1,10. Don’t forget where they came from .... they are just starting to recover from 2011 when Des Hasler left them in a nightmare state before a few good years with us that resulted in too many back ended deals.
    We should have an ideal dollar figure per portion and stick to it as a max . No exceptions. Build a balanced team .

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3