Have we forgotten one important factor ... ?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What do you regard as attracting talent?

1. A talented player who has already established himself in first grade

or

2. A young "talented/potential" player coming through the ranks?
We can only sign opportunist and reject players that no one else wants or can fit in without being successful or using money (paying overs). That's our current/previous method (I can't see the Board sticking to this). We're not going to be able to sign established, top players or the best talent coming through as they'd rather play for other clubs if we can't offer expected success or more money (it isn't reasonable to think that we're the only club going for these types of players). I don't know if that answers your question.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters finished 2nd the year before Tedesco joined actually. We were another club interested.

Hoffman returned to finish his career at the Storm. It'd be similar if Josh Morris came back to our club for one more year. Also Storm is a successful club.

A good/successful team has a good coach. They're tangible. You're not giving me enough to change my mind or make it a separate factor.

Expected success (upcoming season) and money are the only attractions that matter. We're not going to sign top talent or players on a "wish list" without having or using one of those.

Why do you fools always resort to conspiracy theories?
When Hoffman first came back from overseas he had a few options Storm were not paying him the most dollars... they actually forced him out due to salary cap restrictions initially he could have gone elsewhere for more $$ you keep talking about success but a coach is a huge part of that..nobody said teddy went there the year after they finished 2nd last but I did say that the coach helped spark the revival and part of that is recruitment. They have have been down the bottom of the ladder before... not sure where you got the conspiracy theory rubbish from but my comment was more of a joke around the flaw with polls is people can potentially vote more then once. But even if it were a land slide unanimously voting that a coach is a factor in recruitment I don’t think it would make any difference cause in my time in the kennel I’ve never seen you accept anyone’s point no matter how strong they made it so don’t worry about the poll.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
When Hoffman first came back from overseas he had a few options Storm were not paying him the most dollars... they actually forced him out due to salary cap restrictions initially he could have gone elsewhere for more $$ you keep talking about success but a coach is a huge part of that..nobody said teddy went there the year after they finished 2nd last but I did say that the coach helped spark the revival and part of that is recruitment. They have have been down the bottom of the ladder before... not sure where you got the conspiracy theory rubbish from but my comment was more of a joke around the flaw with polls is people can potentially vote more then once. But even if it were a land slide unanimously voting that a coach is a factor in recruitment I don’t think it would make any difference cause in my time in the kennel I’ve never seen you accept anyone’s point no matter how strong they made it so don’t worry about the poll.
I think I'm right more then not. I acknowledge that you're writing/replying to me just I'm not going to lie to you and think I believe or agree with what you're saying when I don't. My point that success/coach is tangible hasn't been persuaded from what you've said. You don't see a good coach at a struggling club. Loyalty doesn't exist in the game anymore, it's success or money.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think I'm right more then not. I acknowledge that you're writing/replying to me just I'm not going to lie to you and think I believe or agree with what you're saying when I don't. My point that success/coach is tangible hasn't been persuaded from what you've said. You don't see a good coach at a struggling club. Loyalty doesn't exist in the game anymore, it's success or money.
Your comment originally was the coach isn’t a factor and I have given numerous examples of when they are you even gave one yourself with Darius Boyd (Supporting my comment) another one is Alex McKinnon followed Wayne from the dragons.

And to your last point I think I just mentioned Robbo coaching roosters when they finished 2nd last which is a good coach at a struggling club but they turned it around pretty quickly cause after all he is a good coach.

nobody asking you to lie..maybe just open up your mind a bit but tbh If you continue to be stubborn and blindly argue all the time it doesn’t really matter either.. after all it’s a fan forum everyone is entitled to their opinion.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Your comment originally was the coach isn’t a factor and I have given numerous examples of when they are you even gave one yourself with Darius Boyd (Supporting my comment) another one is Alex McKinnon followed Wayne from the dragons.

And to your last point I think I just mentioned Robbo coaching roosters when they finished 2nd last which is a good coach at a struggling club but they turned it around pretty quickly cause after all he is a good coach.

nobody asking you to lie..maybe just open up your mind a bit but tbh If you continue to be stubborn and blindly argue all the time it doesn’t really matter either.. after all it’s a fan forum everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Okay but at the end of the day money and success are the main attractions/incentive to recruit. There are always going to be outliers but I don't use them when giving my opinion. I also understand that everything isn't 100% but I'd rather run with what's more realistic/likely. If you're a successful/good club you're going to have a good coach (or at least that's what other people will think). Can we agree on those? If a coach has connections and everything is equal: money, where the clubs competing against each other are situated then coach is a factor. I just don't think it's important or as much as you at least. You'll hear everyone on broadcasts (that know more then I do) say loyalty doesn't exist in today's game. Players are either playing for more money or to have the biggest chance of success. It's easy to retain but recruiting is what I'm telling you.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Okay but at the end of the day money and success are the main attractions/incentive to recruit. There are always going to be outliers but I don't use them when giving my opinion. I also understand that everything isn't 100% but I'd rather run with what's more realistic/likely. If you're a successful/good club you're going to have a good coach (or at least that's what other people will think). Can we agree on those?
Yes I am not disputing that money and success are important, it is for any job. My comment and whole argument was around you writing a coach isn’t really a factor. A good coach is a key ingredient in the success of a team that includes recruitment. I think Ricky Stuart is a good example of this with his recruitment of all these English lads.. I think if you are soon to retire yeah just go for the $$$ but earlier in your career the coach is important. Look at Gold Coast few players went for the money and their career has gone backwards will actually cost them money now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes I am not disputing that money and success are important, it is for any job. My comment and whole argument was around you writing a coach isn’t really a factor. A good coach is a key ingredient in the success of a team that includes recruitment. I think Ricky Stuart is a good example of this with his recruitment of all these English lads.. I think if you are soon to retire yeah just go for the $$$ but earlier in your career the coach is important. Look at Gold Coast few players went for the money and their career has gone backwards will actually cost them money now.
I know. A lot of players ruin their careers going to the Titans (and lesser clubs). They're on massive deals because that's what the clubs have to pay to attract talent (overs). They also are forced to sign longer deals then they'd like unless the player is at the end of their career (and even then). The Titans have it worse then anyone, we're nowhere near their situation but there are things that we need to take and accept from theirs that we're going to have to deal with. We can't recruit like a top club at the moment. Imports are a good way to get some quality for value either from England or Fiji. Other clubs are doing the same thing tho. If we use Thompson as an example he's also linked with other clubs.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking stupid thread..... Coach bashing already as soon as pre season starts.....