Greg Inglis caught speeding and mid range drink driving

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greenbergs statement reeks of utter bullshit.

In the same statement, Greenberg said that Inglis "deserves full credit for being upfront" and "taking full ownership of his mistake".

"Greg is not just a great player, he is one of our best role models, but he made a poor decision on this occasion," he continued.

"It is a mark of the man that he has accepted responsibility for his actions and I have no doubt he will overcome this setback and retain his status as a true leader in our game."

Let's see -

Firstly - a role model? The same guy that punches his missus, and had to take a course in order to have his "misdemeanor" waved in court?

The same person who, in claiming redemption, became the captain of our national football team and in turn, spat in the face of the entire nation? What Mr Greenburg is saying here - is you can make an absolute public fool of yourself, not hurt a single soul (not even potentially do so) - and boy oh boy you're in for repercussions by the fearsome (in)consistent commission.

But what you can do is, make a comeback story from beating your missus, become the STATE and NATIONAL captain, spit on the faces of families who have lost innocent members to drink-driving, and all you get is a 2 game suspension? Don't give the BS of a monetary fine is not in play here, because he is missing out on the $ from playing 2 tests. HE IS AT NO LOSS.

I honestly was fully expecting Todd to play the race card, or bring up the sad act that happened at Penrith earlier this year as a point of reference to Greg's state of mind, and used that as a justification of his driving skills.

The media can blow Greenburg all they want. He is a DISGRACE to the game, and again is now making Dave Smith look like Jeff Bezos.

Fuck the NRL. Fuck the Telegraph. And most importantly - FUCK YOU GREENBURG
Well said!
The NRL is now beyond a joke!!!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wow. You get busted for breaking two serious driving laws, the media publicized it with no chance of denial and you are brave for accepting ownership. The NRL administration bring you a cup of tea and a box of tissues to cry into over the *cough* harsh penalty handed down. Perspective point here, speeding while having a mid-range blood alcohol reading endangers the lives of hundreds of random people. You get your gear off at a supposedly private function and cop it from the same administration. As we know, nudity killed more people last year than drink driving and speeding drivers.

But it's all forgiven since Inglis admitted he fucked up, unlike Elliott who publicly apologized as well, but didn't lose the national captaincy or cop an insignificant suspension.

Something needs to be done to remove Greenburg from his role.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
on another note, what ever came of the Jack Wighton case, or is it still going through court?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article makes some very good points and highlights the inconsistent standard of punishment handed down by the current NRL admin. Once again I say that this has to be the nail in the coffin of Greenburgs job. He has no concept of what is right or wrong.
So the sum total of his penalty from the nrl and souffs is he misses 2 games of footy? Or have I missed something where he got fined by them? Yes, that's a good article, not surprisingly from a paper that isn't the DT. I also enjoyed how the writer actually used the word 'pissed' in the article to describe Inglis :grinning:

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Souths more professional than Bulldogs? That column aged well
I wrote about the Bulldogsand how poorly they had handled their Mad Monday shenanigans, throwing a couple of drunk players under the bus and failing to take any action against senior staff, namely coach Dean Pay and team manager Gareth Holmes.

I also wrote about South Sydney and their new code of conduct, how they were hurtling towards a premiership at great speed, how they were a grown-up club and everything the Bulldogs were not.

“In just one week, Souths show Bulldogs how to be a professional footy club,” read the headline …

That column aged well, didn’t it?

GI blow: Souths captain Greg Inglis was charged with drink driving. Does that not hurt the image of the game?

Photo: Wolter Peeters
In just one week, Souths players, including co-captain Sam Burgess, were implicated in a lewd video chat with a 23-year-old woman who complained to the club.

Then, earlier this week, co-captain Greg Inglis was charged with drink driving and speeding … on the same day he was announced as Kangaroos captain.

The inbox has been pinging with emails from angry Bulldogs fans ever since.

“You may have jinxed the Pride of League with their professionalism,” claimed one a few days ago. “Greg Inglis, drink driving and speeding. Your thoughts on this professional club now after the Sam Burgess issue sweeped [sic] under the carpet by all involved.”

Usually, I stop quality racehorses with a single bet. Turns out I can also jinx an entire football club with a single column.

With tail between my legs, let’s unpack some of this.

Questions asked: Dean Pay was with his team during their end-of-season celebrations.

Photo: NRL Photos

The initial $250,000 fine the NRL handed to the Bulldogs for their Mad Monday silliness was grossly excessive for an incident we wouldn’t have known about if a news organisation hadn’t strategically placed photographers with telephoto lenses outside a pub in The Rocks for eight hours.

Where the club lacked “professionalism” was that the loose behaviour of some of their players happened with coach Pay and manager Holmes watching on – at a function organised by the club. The NRL has repeatedly warned clubs about Mad Monday for several years.

In my view, the way Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill publicly admonished and then fined players Adam Elliott, Asipeli Fine, Marcelo Montoya and Zac Woolford was disgraceful.

The club then failed to say what sanctions, if any, had been taken against the senior staff in attendance.

It took some crowbar work, but this column finally got it out of the club that senior staff have fronted the board and been “sanctioned”. The club won’t make those details public because an employment contract is different to a playing contract.

Half of the Bulldogs fine was suspended after chairwoman Lynne Anderson pointed out the lack of consistency in the penalties handed out to other clubs for off-field misbehaviour.

She pointed out no action was taken against Burgess nor Souths for the lewd video chat that made its way into the public domain. The NRL says her claims had no bearing on them suspending $125,000 of their fine.

Was the Souths’ investigation swept under the carpet?

Souths set up a panel to investigate the claims, which is standard protocol. It included Karyn Murphy from the NRL’s integrity unit.

Murphy has shown many times that she’s someone who is thorough, credible and follows the letter of the law.

She interviewed the 23-year-old woman and was satisfied that Burgess and no other player had breached the code of conduct, despite the woman’s previous claims – via anonymous emails to the club and then to News Corp – that she was exposed to unwanted nudity.

Some aren’t satisfied with this. They wouldn’t be satisfied with a Royal Commission because it doesn’t suit their narrative.

In not sanctioning Souths or their players, the NRL sent a clear message: it will not judge the effect of a players’ actions on personal relationships.

But the damage to the game’s reputation is something altogether different and this is where the NRL’s excessive punishment of Mitchell Pearce for his Australia Day poodle antics two years ago has come back to bite it.

Regardless of whether the video chat between Souths players and the woman were consensual – which hasn’t been confirmed either way – there’s an argument that images of naked footballers leaking into the public domain is a horrible look for a game.

Pearce was fined $125,000 and suspended for eight matches for having silly simulated sex with a dog. Regardless of Pearce's history of off-field behaviour, does the Souths incident not fall into the same category?

The Rabbitohs and the NRL have countered this by claiming the images were illegally captured by screenshot and distributed without the players’ permission. That’s a matter for lawyers and the police.

But wasn't the video of Pearce taken and not only distributed but sold to Channel Nine’s A Current Affair without his knowledge or consent?

Pearce had the book thrown at him because of the damage he'd done to the “image of the game”. Because of the weirdness of the video, it went viral and was picked up by news organisations around the world.

That’s dangerous territory for the NRL. It means a player is partly sanctioned depending on the news values of others, as well as the news cycle.

What damage has been done to the “image of the game” because of Inglis’ drink-driving and speeding charges?

One of the game’s biggest names – who is the Queensland and Souths captain and, for a few hours, the Australian skipper – broke the law and it was front-page news.

Inglis has been stood down for two Test matches, which equates to $23,000 in match payments.

“Consistency is a theme which often comes up around these issues, but it’s important to be clear on what is meant by consistency," NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said. "Our rules and processes are consistent in each case, but that doesn’t mean the outcome is always the same. That only happens where you have the same set of facts in two matters, but that is almost never the case.”

Fair enough. The issues involved around this stuff are complex.

I stand by my initial column. The fundamental difference between the Bulldogs' and Souths' indiscretions is that senior staff were present in one case, not in the other.

Like really mate if what I'm thinking is correct he thinks South's are still if they even were better than us lol

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew Webster if your reading this forum, your an idiot. I'll give you a souffs story... A Melbourne Woman has been in contact with the the Souths club over an alledged affair she has been having with a senior souffs player... Clubs execs are in overdrive to try and sweep it under the carpet as she has threatened to take it to the press.. Dig deeper Webster and maybe ring souffs ceo Blake Solly... If he denies it than take it as gospel he is lying

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Souths have been caught out multiple times over the last couple of years for sweeping things under the rug when their players screw up. Greenburg as our CEO also was guilty of this, so I understand that he might have some double standards about this given he himself used the SIUTR method in his tenure here. It's a very bad look for him to have attempted to sweep Barba's DV against his wife under the rug. Webster may regard the SIUTR (Sweep It Under The Rug) method as professionalism, but I for one think that it's more serious than having officials present when their players get naked in a supposedly private function. It looked bad that the images of Elliot and Fine were publicized without mercy. But the fine handed out for trying to sweep things under the rug should be comparable to having those officials present. In reality football players have spent many years where they probably shower weekly in change rooms alongside their team mates so getting nude for comedy purposes when a coach (A former player who has probably shared communal showers with team mates) & team manager (Who is also present in change rooms for 99% of matches) are present is probably no big deal for them.

The public for the most part saw it as no big deal with the exception of minority groups who didn't approve. Webster and the DT 'journalists' ambushed and crucified the club over this for the sole purpose of grabbing headlines. For them to be vocalizing as the moral police or commentating on the professionalism of one club over another is highly hypocritical, but pretty much expected from an organization with no morals. They were fine with Rothfield and others partaking in photo opportunities with nearly nude models at a function, yet alongside that have been critical about the lack of serious attention given to womens league etc. Overall it's prewtty clear they will shift their stance on morals as fits their sales targets.

It's sad that John Howard changed Australian laws which were set in place to give a balanced view in the media during his tenure as PM. It just means that it's harder to get perspective in the printed media. We've seen this translate into a media mogul that promotes useless turds like Abbott for PM and has also been pretty complicit in undermining both Rudd, Gillard, Rudd again and recently Turnbull in order to enhance his money making ability. The only upsdie to all of this is that it's apparent that younger generations don't seem to spend money buying their toilet paper. But we can't regard the print media as impartial anymore. One of my mates that is an avid follower of politics has pointed out thatthe QAustralian media gives almost zero balance in their opinions and that if you care to find a blanced opinion you need to follow media outlets from international sources and even then the discussions that take place within the comments section will point out a lot of inconsistencies. I'm completely over our agenda driven media. This probably isn't the thread to be talking about it, but financial experts from around the world have condemned the liberal governments adoption of trickle down economics (tax breaks etc for businesses which supposedly will lead to more employees being hired and better pay rates) as a poor move which has been proven not to work. Yet the Australian media constantly shove this down our throats as being a smart strategy. It took me till I was about 35 years old to start paying any attention to our politics and ignorance was bliss. I just get the shits with it all more often than not these days.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think most intelligent people would come to similar conclusions..Getting caught naked does not endanger anyone but driving on a public road and on a public holiday when families are out and about is far more serious....add speeding to that and a real recipe for disaster.

Twice as likely to have a crash when at .05 and on average to stay at the legal limit a male would be able to have 2 standard drinks in the first hour and one thereafter. To get to .08 it is four drinks in the first hour and the same every hour thereafter. If he stopped drinking at 1am and was caught at 2.15pm later that day...well someone is telling porkies.

Does not take courage to come out and speak about your guilt when it is apparent that you are guilty.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Holy FARK!!!!!

upload_2018-10-7_23-11-2.png

0.333 ...

Just to put this into perspective I grabbed this from another US website.

BAC Level Generalized Dose Specific Effects
0.020 - 0.039% No loss of coordination, slight euphoria, and loss of shyness. Relaxation, but depressant effects are not apparent.
0.040 - 0.059% Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, and sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of judgment and memory, lowering of caution.
0.060 - 0.099% Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Reduced judgment and self-control. Impaired reasoning and memory.
0.100 - 0.129% Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, peripheral vision, reaction time, and hearing will be impaired.
0.130 - 0.159% Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reducing and beginning dysphoria (a state of feeling unwell)
0.160 - 0.199% Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a sloppy drunk.
0.200 - 0.249% Needs assistance in walking; total mental confusion. Dysphoria with nausea and vomiting; possible blackout.
0.250 - 0.399% Alcohol poisoning. Loss of consciousness.
0.40% + Onset of coma, possible death due to respiratory arrest.

The highest on record is apparently 1.480 from a guy in Poland!!!!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This article posted today on Fox website.

It is easy to be remorseful when you have been caught and his admission to police of making a miscalculation in having a drink an hour prior to being tested doesn't wash with me because realistically he was that far over the limit that it did not really matter in the overall scheme of things. That was the thing that made the police believe he was remorseful..the fact he told them that he had had a drink an hour prior to being pulled up....
remorseful
/rɪˈmɔːsf(ʊ)l/
adjective
  1. filled with remorse; sorry.
    "the defendant was remorseful for what he had done"
    synonyms: sorry, full of regret, regretful, sad, contrite, repentant, penitent, guilt-ridden, conscience-stricken, guilty, ashamed, chastened, shamefaced, self-reproachful, rueful, apologetic;
    rarecompunctious
    "many parents feel very remorseful after punishing their children"
Maybe he should just not have driven at all.......that to me would have been the sensible thing....

• November 22, 2018 12:05pm
  • by AAP WITH STAFF WRITERS
  • Source: AAP

South Sydney star Greg Inglis has pleaded guilty to drink driving.Source: Getty Images
NRL star and South Sydney Rabbitohs captain Greg Inglis has pleaded guilty to drink-driving in regional NSW.
The 31-year-old was clocked by highway patrol police driving a black Mercedes-Benz E300 sedan at 99km/h in an 80km/h zone, on the Great Western Highway in South Bowenfels, on the afternoon of October 1.

“He (Inglis) was asked if he had consumed any alcohol recently and he replied: ‘We lost the football in Dubbo yesterday and I had alcohol last night’ and ‘I just finished one schooner at the club in Lithgow about 10 minutes ago’,” the police facts state.

Officers noticed Inglis had enlarged pupils and glassy eyes and he was taken to Lithgow police station where he returned a mid-range drink driving result of 0.085.

His lawyer, James Jordan, entered the guilty plea on Inglis’ behalf at Lithgow Local Court on Thursday. He asked for the matter to be adjourned to Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court for sentence on January 14.

Mr Jordan apologised to magistrate Cate Follent for the player’s “non- attendance” due to shoulder surgery.

“He does consider himself to be a role model and he hopes that in accepting full responsibility, he will be able to continue as a role model,” Mr Jordan told reporters outside court.

The lawyer said Inglis, who has already publicly addressed his personal disappointment over the offence, remains “extremely remorseful”.

Inglis was charged mere hours after he was announced as Australia’s rugby league captain. He was subsequently suspended for two international games and replaced by Boyd Cordner as Kangaroos skipper.

Inglis has no other drink-driving offences on his record but was issued an infringement notice for speeding over 10km/h.

The South Sydney player, who lives in Coogee, was noted in court documents as a “high profile professional athlete” who was “polite and professional at all times” during the incident.

“Police were of the opinion that he was remorseful for a miscalculation that led to this matter,” the documents state.

Greg Inglis speaks to the media at Redfern Oval after allegedly drink driving and speeding.Source: News Corp Australia
At the time Inglis admitted he was in the wrong, but refused to step down as Kangaroos’ captain, but the decision was ultimately taken out of his hands.

“I’m sincerely apologetic,” Inglis said at the time.

“My status in this game and where I am as a person around this community, it’s not good enough and if anything is to come out of this, it’s a lesson that everyone should learn and take away from this.”

Mal Meninga handed the captaincy to Boyd Cordner, but was hopeful Inglis would learn from his mistakes.

“I hope to see him back in a Kangaroos jersey next year,” Meninga said at the time.

“Greg has been an integral part of the team for many years and I expect him to be back.

“No one respects those values more than Greg and we look forward to him returning to the team next year.

“Greg was in fact an integral part of the creation of the RISE (Respect, Inspire, Selfless, Excellence) values (of the Kangaroos).

“As a result he’s accepted the penalty and I think he has shown real leadership by the way he has been accountable for his actions.”

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Dragging it on again I see...

I think he's sober enough to be sentenced now.

Last edited:

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dragging it on again I see...

I think he's sober enough to be sentenced now.
He will get the minimum penalty for the offense. So I guess a little fine and 6 months suspended license no doubt.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
And we have the media writing soft stories on the "tragedy" of Jarryd Hayne, and how his stellar career has been affected by accusations of aggravated rape. But they won't sermonise, or have the usual conga line of journalist outdo each other with how outraged they are over this disgraceful sexual assault, because it is only alleged, and the law must take its course before we comment. Go back to Coffs Harbour - how did we not receive the same respect? Why did we not receive the same respect at a private function in the Rocks where we were hidden from public view?

The media sit in wait for any sign of wrongdoing by the Bulldogs, and have a full set of excuses for every other team. Look at how Matty Johns was rewarded with his own show on TV, even though he was present at a multiple sexual assault of a poor woman in NZ. Where was the outrage? Where are the massive sanctions and fines from the NRL? Double standards abound.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
How could Inglis drink driving possibly be a miscalculation???? What in the Fk?

He had driven for 3 hours from Dubbo before he got pulled over. When he was eventually tested he blew 0.85.

I also understand his alcohol content was a result of drinking from the night before.

If he was still 0.85 3 hours (possibly more) after leaving Dubbo, then guess what his limit was when he started driving.

How the fk is he getting such a cruisy run in the media over this. Where is all the outrage and front page headlines?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
No NRL 100G fine?
The little kids are devastated GI is a lunatic, the country is disgusted.