Opinion Fox for captaincy.?

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Fox is the natural leader and the only experienced player who can handle the pressure and won't let it affect his on field performance. Off field he might have to tone it down a tad...but...we want a new beginning. A new fresh approach. Relevancy in today's sporting market.

Burton could probably be next up. Although I do feel that he could work as vice captain to gain the experience and ease him into being more vocal and making his presence felt.

Fox will bring heaps of positive vibes in all areas.

But Ciro will be assessing the appointment and will have very valid reasons in choosing who he feels will best be our captain. Happy with that.
Yeh indeed. Well put.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Fox is the natural leader and the only experienced player who can handle the pressure and won't let it affect his on field performance. Off field he might have to tone it down a tad...but...we want a new beginning. A new fresh approach. Relevancy in today's sporting market.

Burton could probably be next up. Although I do feel that he could work as vice captain to gain the experience and ease him into being more vocal and making his presence felt.

Fox will bring heaps of positive vibes in all areas.

But Ciro will be assessing the appointment and will have very valid reasons in choosing who he feels will best be our captain. Happy with that.
he is but you just said what i think, you dont want him to curb his enthusiasm which he will have too as skipper. I got a feeling if fox gets it , it will be co captain. Burton is way too quiet and he has more important pressures on him this year. We dont really have a stand out, be interesting who steps up over the trials.
If thommo is staying, him and fox is a good combo, but if he not in our plans, then we look to the future imo.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
you obviously don't understand the game with some of your posts, turbo is 100% correct and jacko was a leader by his actions and all the players looked up to him.
You are doing your thing again. Not discussing the issue but attacking the writer.
Jackson is a favourite son at Belmore. He leads by example on the field. He is highly respected
as a person and a player. That is not, and has never been in dispute.
However, he is in the lower eschelon of skippers in the NRL. He does not organise the players,
or call them to do things. You cannot compare him to Lamb, Lockyer, Johns etc. He seemed to think his job was to chat to the referees.
Hopefully the incoming skipper has a better understanding of the role.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You are doing your thing again. Not discussing the issue but attacking the writer.
Jackson is a favourite son at Belmore. He leads by example on the field. He is highly respected
as a person and a player. That is not, and has never been in dispute.
However, he is in the lower eschelon of skippers in the NRL. He does not organise the players,
or call them to do things. You cannot compare him to Lamb, Lockyer, Johns etc. He seemed to think his job was to chat to the referees.
Hopefully the incoming skipper has a better understanding of the role.
what the fuck are you talking about, "doesnt organise the players" FMD.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
what the fuck are you talking about, "doesnt organise the players" FMD.
That is your opinion. I just don't agree with it.
You must accept that most posts on here are based on opinions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Because someone has an opinion, that doesn't mean it's correct.
In the past, the players were like headless chooks. Some of that belongs to the various failed coaches, and some must
be the responsibility of the skipper.

RabiedDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Chris Anderson captained Canterbury from the wing in 1983 and 1984

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Chris Anderson captained Canterbury from the wing in 1983 and 1984
We didn't have a captains challenge back then.
I want the Fox but because of the captains challenge we will need a vice captain in the middle.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That is your opinion. I just don't agree with it.
You must accept that most posts on here are based on opinions. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Because someone has an opinion, that doesn't mean it's correct.
In the past, the players were like headless chooks. Some of that belongs to the various failed coaches, and some must
be the responsibility of the skipper.
My view different to yours, my reasoning is as follows.

Even James Cook couldn't have navigated the way for many of the players that we have had to suffer through over the last 5 years.

Many simply weren't up to NRL standard.

There is a case to made that their fitness wasn't up to NRL standard and when fatigued they lost whatever ability they had.

Because we were always on the defensive, due to the lack of strike players, fatigue was always going to be an issue, regardless of fitness.

The Captain can't make up for deficiencies in the coaching staff and we sure as hell had that.

You (and I) aren't in the huddles on the field, we have no idea what Jackson was saying, asking, demanding that the players do. All we can say is that they weren't doing it.

I have never ever heard a single critical word from any player, coach, manager or staff about Jackson's captaincy, he was highly respected by everyone and we will miss him.

Always a Bulldog

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My view different to yours, my reasoning is as follows.

Even James Cook couldn't have navigated the way for many of the players that we have had to suffer through over the last 5 years.

Many simply weren't up to NRL standard.

There is a case to made that their fitness wasn't up to NRL standard and when fatigued they lost whatever ability they had.

Because we were always on the defensive, due to the lack of strike players, fatigue was always going to be an issue, regardless of fitness.

The Captain can't make up for deficiencies in the coaching staff and we sure as hell had that.

You (and I) aren't in the huddles on the field, we have no idea what Jackson was saying, asking, demanding that the players do. All we can say is that they weren't doing it.

I have never ever heard a single critical word from any player, coach, manager or staff about Jackson's captaincy, he was highly respected by everyone and we will miss him.

Always a Bulldog
I agree with most of your post. I have been a believer in the club not having the "right cattle" in the past.
This results in the right decisions not being made.
However, a good captain directs his players around the ground to put them in a position
where the game plan can be executed. Good captains do this. Sadly some do it better than a lot of others.
Players like Lewis, Lockyer, Lamb, were always talking. Jacko was to quiet.
I have the utmost respect for what Jackson has done, at Club, SOO and test level. He is a very good player, but not a great captain.
Just my opinion on what I have seen.
I wont enter any more discussions on this.

Last edited:

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
RFM, Mahoney should be one of them. If not, then Burton if Ciraldo picks him. Dont like wingers as captain. King too inexperienced, Thompson doesnt play enough games, Kikau?? TPJ is a loose cannon. Flanagan no, Averillo no and needs to conctrate on being an NRL fullback.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree with most of your post. I have been a believer in the club not having the "right cattle" in the past.
This results in the right decisions not being made.
However, a good captain directs his players around the ground to put them in a position
where the game plan can be executed. Good captains do this. Sadly some do it better than a lot of others.
Players like Lewis, Lockyer, Lamb, were always talking. Jacko was to quiet.
I have the utmost respect for what Jackson has done, at Club, SOO and test level. He is a very good player, but not a great captain.
Just my opinion on what I have seen.
I wont enter any more discussions on this.
Speedy, just so you know, a captain is not responsible for getting the team a position on the field LMAO.
It is the halves and hooker that run the game plan in getting the team to say the 40 or 60, not a second rower FMD. You mentioned Lamb and Lockyer as examples, well they played predominately 5/8 when they were skipper, so part of their role is initiate the game plan, a second rower/edge has never done this in the history of the game.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Captain is the team's onfield psychologist...
i cant believe someone thinks a second rower runs the game plan FMD. A good Halfback would tell them to shut the fuck up.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I had occasion last night to rewatch the game against the Chooks and with Jackson out on Covid leave the Co Captains were JAC and Thompson.

Always a Bulldog

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had occasion last night to rewatch the game against the Chooks and with Jackson out on Covid leave the Co Captains were JAC and Thompson.

Always a Bulldog
Foxy led us that game well to a great win against the chooks!
Rfm, no ..while I respect the guy alot , he is not even a confirmed starter.
Thompson no… why name him as captain especially when he will not be here in 24
King..no….well respected, a bit tough to captain from the bench
Mahoney or fox for me.
Id love to see the fox personally lead our team out every week, and talk after each game being a refreshing honest opinion, not line for line bable

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foxy led us that game well to a great win against the chooks!
Rfm, no ..while I respect the guy alot , he is not even a confirmed starter.
Thompson no… why name him as captain especially when he will not be here in 24
King..no….well respected, a bit tough to captain from the bench
Mahoney or fox for me.
Id love to see the fox personally lead our team out every week, and talk after each game being a refreshing honest opinion, not line for line bable
Yeah, Fox for me too bro. I’ve never seen a player buy into the culture so quickly. It was easy to be a Bulldog when you came into a side smashing everyone like the old days. Fox is a rare personality in the NRL, respected everywhere, a true leader in our squad, passionate about winning and is always talking on the field.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Should be burto. Bring him out of his shell let him run the team hopefully gives him a lot more confidence aswell

Reactions: obe