Opinion Fox for captaincy.?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I too was thinking JAC for captain now I'm thinking King would make a great captain.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The captain shouldnt be the person who talks the most or the loudest - it needs to be the player who gets listened to the most.

freQishDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
He's a great club ambassador, however I'm not sure about captain. Need someone who toes the line and a bit cheeky.
I think RFM is respectful, respected amongst his peers as already being a leader, and he seems like one of the cheekiest of them all.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too was thinking JAC for captain now I'm thinking King would make a great captain.
I am thinking it will be co-captains this year and I think it should be KING & JAC

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burto, Kingy, Foxx.

Andrew Ryan said in his recent podcast you don't need a c next to your name to be a leader. That is what I like about this squad right now there are plenty of leaders.

If you read into Kikau's comments Burton is Ciraldo's man.

Also if you are thinking long term stability 5 years + Burto is also the man.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't reckon it will be King.. not experienced enough and is always clowning around... not that there's anything wrong with having a bit of fun, but I just don't see him being captain material right now

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Off the top of my head the leadership group would be:

King, Thompson, Kikau, Pangai Jnr, Addo-Carr, Burton, Faitala-Mariner, Mahoney

I can even see guys like Davey, Sutton, Reynolds & Burns being good leaders in terms of training and game prep.

On field leaders has to be our key players, Kikau, King, Foxx, Burto, Ray & Pangai. If those guys are putting in 7+/10 performances most weeks everyone will follow their lead.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sure captaincy should be given to a player to bring them out of their shell. IMO, Burton is a future captain but nowhere near ready in 23 and it would hamper his development as a playmaker. We need him to focus on his development as a 6 and not worry about captaining the side
Who is to say giving him more responsibility and putting him out of his comfort zone won't help him develop?

Burton can handle it, I believe he is that good. He performed so well in a team low on confidence and was able to make his debut for the Blues that is leadership quality.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't reckon it will be King.. not experienced enough and is always clowning around... not that there's anything wrong with having a bit of fun, but I just don't see him being captain material right now
I disagree, he isn’t as experienced as some but everything about him is a leader. The way he handles himself on and off the field. He will be in the ear of the referees and leading the team around with everything he does. Something we have lacked for years Jacko.
King will be a great captain.

JAC would be good also but I don’t like wingers being captain they are too far away from the middle.

Definitely not Burton. He isn’t a natural leader and he just needs to concentrate on his game for a few years.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I disagree, he isn’t as experienced as some but everything about him is a leader. The way he handles himself on and off the field. He will be in the ear of the referees and leading the team around with everything he does. Something we have lacked for years Jacko.
King will be a great captain.

JAC would be good also but I don’t like wingers being captain they are too far away from the middle.

Definitely not Burton. He isn’t a natural leader and he just needs to concentrate on his game for a few years.
I dunno man every time I see footage of the team he's generally mucking about.. like I said nothing wrong with having a good time, but I think it needs to be somebody who is a bit more serious off the field.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno man every time I see footage of the team he's generally mucking about.. like I said nothing wrong with having a good time, but I think it needs to be somebody who is a bit more serious off the field.
We don’t have that player in our squad currently.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We don’t have that player in our squad currently.
I'm not saying they're always serious..

It's a shame Billy Tsikrikas is not a full time first grader (yet) because he would be a great candidate with his background.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not saying they're always serious..

It's a shame Billy Tsikrikas is not a full time first grader (yet) because he would be a great candidate with his background.
I’m saying we don’t have that natural leader in the squad.

The few we have all have things against them.

Thompson - Future not a given
RFM - to nice a guy not vocal
Reed - New to the club. Could be an option down the track.

That leaves the two class clowns.
KIng & JAC they are the two obvious leaders in the squad. They both have a laugh and a joke but I believe both are professional when it comes down to it.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m saying we don’t have that natural leader in the squad.

The few we have all have things against them.

Thompson - Future not a given
RFM - to nice a guy not vocal
Reed - New to the club. Could be an option down the track.

That leaves the two class clowns.
KIng & JAC they are the two obvious leaders in the squad. They both have a laugh and a joke but I believe both are professional when it comes down to it.
You don't reckon Burton is captain material? he always gives 110 and has a good head on his shoulders...I think he'd handle it

Reed might be new to first grade at the Dogs but he's not new to the club.. I think if he was going to be captain you make him captain now

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
You don't reckon Burton is captain material? he always gives 110 and has a good head on his shoulders...I think he'd handle it

Reed might be new to first grade at the Dogs but he's not new to the club.. I think if he was going to be captain you make him captain now
my first thoughts are he doesnt need the extra pressure as captain. I reckon the week away in camp would have thrown up some candidates

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Burton just needs to concentrate on his game.

He also doesn’t exude any leader vibes. He is quite. We have had a voiceless captain in Jacko we need someone with a voice both on and off the field.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing but I don't think it would hinder him if he got it, he's a confident bloke who backs himself and doesn't really get phased..

Anyway Ciraldo will make the right choice!

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I used to think the same thing but I don't think it would hinder him if he got it, he's a confident bloke who backs himself and doesn't really get phased..

Anyway Ciraldo will make the right choice!
Got to trust the process & Ciraldo's plan.