Opinion Fox for captaincy.?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's probably between Mahoney, Fox and RFM.

Mahoney would've been the favorite had he got a few bulldogs games under his belt. He does seem to be a leader.

RFM has done a lot of work in the community but his lack of game time will hurt him.

Fox is a natural leader. Always super competitive and was pretty much our best player last year but his position on the field is the issue.

Kikau could be a dark horse.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like he was destined for the role with how great a leader he is on the field and off it. I think the concerns of having a winger as captain are overblown.
It's not ideal, there is a reason there have not been many in the history of the game ... i can only remember three who have captained on a regular basis over the last fifty years.

Lional Williamson - Newtown.
Warren Boland - Wests.
Chris Anderson - Canterbury.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
fullback/captain.. I know it won't happen but dreams are free. In saying that we get plenty of value out of him on the wing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's not ideal, there is a reason there have not been many in the history of the game ... i can only remember three who have captained on a regular basis over the last fifty years.

Warren Boland - Wests.
I agree it's not ideal but I also don't think it's an impediment.. There have been a fair few centres as captains in recent years which isn't too much different.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Warren Boland - Wests.
And ALL many decades ago..

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox great, Mahoney - fantastic; King or even Burton…I’m happy…. Just never ever ever ever that co-captain rubbish!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mahoney captain, JAC will be a leader without the C next to his name. You can't really captain from the wing. King would be my next choice. No other candidates imo.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Foxy being the captain.

Logically it should be Burton but he needs to focus on his game.

My theory is that the captain should come from the spine or prop position.

PS Kingy is a captain in making.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Warren Boland - Wests.
Rod Wishart?

MachoMan

Waterboy
Reaction score
A captain needs to be someone who leads through the front either direction (EG - Burton, Mahoney or Flanagan) or or going forward with their runs (EG - King). This should rule out fox as he is a winger and can not direct the team.

FYI, I have played rugby league for a long time at club, rep level and even have 3.5 years of captain experience.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A captain needs to be someone who leads through the front either direction (EG - Burton, Mahoney or Flanagan) or or going forward with their runs (EG - King). This should rule out fox as he is a winger and can not direct the team.

FYI, I have played rugby league for a long time at club, rep level and even have 3.5 years of captain experience.
I don't think Flanagan knows which direction we're playing half the time and he probably won't be here in 2024, so that rules him out..

As I pointed out in my post above, plenty of centres have been captains in recent years without any issue, which is only one spot over from wingers..

Fox does make inspirational runs all of the time. The amount of times he made line breaks from deep inside our own half when we were going backwards were countless.. He's also very vocal on the field and talks a lot.. Whether he's made captain or not, he's shown great leadership on and off the field and embraced becoming a Bulldog and the community.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Quite a simple answer. and common to that question.. do bears shit in the woods? Must be a YES for the fox !!!

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree it's not ideal but I also don't think it's an impediment.. There have been a fair few centres as captains in recent years which isn't too much different.
Yeah, good call about the centres.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Burton Kikau and Fox should rotate as captain. There’s no real standout but you could name a sole captain at the end of the year and see who wants it most. I think Burton should be our long term option and it will elevate his game and desire to win