Opinion Flanno v Tigers analysis

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No you can't because I've accepted what you said and countered it. You on the other hand have not, you're instead looking at one frame and refusing to acknowledge anything else. You've done this so many times in the past.

How can you continue to ignore something so blatantly obvious? Jake is literally telling Flanagan what he wants, he's setup for that play and our backs are setup up for it. We've then got 4 players all on the same page yet Flanagan decides to go against that and do his own thing. How on earth are you blaming anyone else other than the one bloke he went away from the actual play?
Jake was visibly pissed as well that he didn't get the ball, becuase he knew it was on

Malla

Reaction score
No you can't because I've accepted what you said and countered it. You on the other hand have not, you're instead looking at one frame and refusing to acknowledge anything else. You've done this so many times in the past.

How can you continue to ignore something so blatantly obvious? Jake is literally telling Flanagan what he wants, he's setup for that play and our backs are setup up for it. We've then got 4 players all on the same page yet Flanagan decides to go against that and do his own thing. How on earth are you blaming anyone else other than the one bloke that went away from the actual play?
Yes I can lol Our backs were set up for another dud attempt at a draw and pass that we have seen a million times before because they are standing way too flat. What has got us to scoring almost 100 points in 3 weeks? Playing whats in front. Pushing up into holes as they open (yum). Averillo missed the opportunity, that made Flanno hesitate. Opportunity gone.
I get it, you want to be acknowledged. And I acknowledge your opinion. I just disagree. I think its bad footy.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bbo is not the answer at halfback, good for lower grades but not good enough for top grade, he just stands out cause our number 7 for years have been hopeless and along came bbo with a bit of speed
Yep that’s your opinion mate. And it was mine too before I have seen him play the past month.

But he has improved out of sight with consistent footy at number 7. A lot of these lower graders haven’t had much footy the past few years. Don’t rule him out just yet …

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Yep that’s your opinion mate. And it was mine too before I have seen him play the past month.

But he has improved out of sight with consistent footy at number 7. A lot of these lower graders haven’t had much footy the past few years. Don’t rule him out just yet …
He Is pushing for FG every game.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanno sucks and is being masked by a rejuvenated team with 3/4 spine players doing well atm, as soon as we hit some adversity his deficiencies will cost us again

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to do this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?
I absolutely agree every player looks better in a winning side, hence our team all looked shit! Glange has been solid the past couple of weeks, and is obviously a confidence player. Good to see him contributing. I also agree he is not an amazing game breaking hb, but given the lack of quality halves on the market for 2023, and the fact that he looks to be on the improve, im happy to let him see out his contract.
All this being said, id much rather see BBO or Bailey stand up and own this spot moving forward. But this may still be a way off. So Flange can mind the spot in the meantime if he continues to improve.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Could have scored more if he wasn't there
That a big call cause your putting someone like bbo into the tean which changes the whole dynamic and a different player has a different skill set. Bbo isn’t as good a defender, nor have I seen him follow the play like Flanagan does with his extra effort plays.

I think we keep Flanagan for the rest of the season or unless he plays himself out of the team. He has his opportunity and he is just hitting the amount of games when the game starts slowing down. Why you would mess with that I don’t know.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I absolutely agree every player looks better in a winning side, hence our team all looked shit! Glange has been solid the past couple of weeks, and is obviously a confidence player. Good to see him contributing. I also agree he is not an amazing game breaking hb, but given the lack of quality halves on the market for 2023, and the fact that he looks to be on the improve, im happy to let him see out his contract.
All this being said, id much rather see BBO or Bailey stand up and own this spot moving forward. But this may still be a way off. So Flange can mind the spot in the meantime if he continues to improve.
The season is over, so I agree let BBO learn in a winning reserve grade team, if he keeps getting MOM performances then he will earn his spot in first grade. I would imagine they would qualify him for reserve grade finals first

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That a big call cause your putting someone like bbo into the tean which changes the whole dynamic and a different player has a different skill set. Bbo isn’t as good a defender, nor have I seen him follow the play like Flanagan does with his extra effort plays.

I think we keep Flanagan for the rest of the season or unless he plays himself out of the team. He has his opportunity and he is just hitting the amount of games when the game starts slowing down. Why you would mess with that I don’t know.
I'm not saying BBO mate.

At the current moment, current circumstances and reality, Kyle is probably the best option we have at halfback.

I'm saying that he's plain not good enough and we need to find a solution to that position

My hypothesis of we would have scored more had Kyle not been there is based upon us finding a correct solution for halfback, not the current options

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I'm not saying BBO mate.

At the current moment, current circumstances and reality, Kyle is probably the best option we have at halfback.

I'm saying that he's plain not good enough and we need to find a solution to that position

My hypothesis of we would have scored more had Kyle not been there is based upon us finding a correct solution for halfback, not the current options
We can only talk about the reality of what we have. There is no one to buy. So unless we produce someone ourselves which will take another season at least. We are all in on Flanagan.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We can only talk about the reality of what we have. There is no one to buy. So unless we produce someone ourselves which will take another season at least. We are all in on Flanagan.
Thats great and accepted, doesn't change the fact that we need to get rid of Flanagan and that Gus is most likely wheeling and dealing in the background to make that happen

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The season is over, so I agree let BBO learn in a winning reserve grade team, if he keeps getting MOM performances then he will earn his spot in first grade. I would imagine they would qualify him for reserve grade finals first
Great to see our cup side winning too! Equal first. Giddy up!

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Thats great and accepted, doesn't change the fact that we need to get rid of Flanagan and that Gus is most likely wheeling and dealing in the background to make that happen
I think you will find you will be disappointed. The cupboard is bare. Best case we end up with Luke brooks with the tigers throwing in most of the cash. And that’s only if Flanagan fails. At this point it’s best most of us support him and hope he succeeds.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to do this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?
Watch a video of Chad Townsend the other night micred up, talking directing and motivating, if he was our half we'd be flying , so obviously we need similar

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
To summarise… firstly I don’t like the quote 450k for a halfback is minimum wage these days… your spine should be your most invested area - all the successful teams have this… secondly he played average against a mediocre team… disjointed spines don’t win you comps, top spines do.
Storm are in the middle of forwards reshuffle, why cause they know their forwards are not what win you comps so they have locked in their spine and in the next three to four years time these young forwards that fit into their system
Will be their new Solomonas, bromwiches, finucanes.
To maybe clarify, my comment that 450k was minimum wage is based on the HB as you said being the highest usually paid player in the team. So due to some on the 1.2 mil mark, I would put the 450kish mark as the somewhat min wage for that position. So therefor if you're paying a HB that much he's either very young and improving OR he's a HB just doing the basics of the role. I would class Flanno as the basics of the role. Luckily we have Burto who can take it from there. If we have other players that can contribute to the attack like Kikau, Avo, Mahoney, RFM and maybe our youngsters. Maybe someone organising like Flanno has been is ok. The other 800k can be used on 2 guns or 4 solid players? Really the Coach is the one to decide if he has enough in the team to carry this out.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Watch a video of Chad Townsend the other night micred up, talking directing and motivating, if he was our half we'd be flying , so obviously we need similar
Seen a few things on it, not the whole thing. Obviously Chad is way better then Flanno. That said Chad obviously mic'd up gave us that insight. Flanno was doing heaps of organising the other day, we don't have the same luxury of hearing what he was saying. Yep we would be doing better with him, I thought we should of grabbed Reynolds when he was there. We would be top 8.