Opinion Flanno v Tigers analysis

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to do this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

* So I decided to this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
70th min -
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thoughts?
I've noticed his improvement since being back in first grade too. Whilst he might'nt be flashy like Cleary, He is now taking some pressure off Burto and it is showing in Burton's game and our team performance.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Good analysis. Agree he has improved steadily this season and good to see him running the ball a bit more. It’s still the area he needs to improve most imo and will free up the rest of his game

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While it's easy to jump on the hate train for flanno I do think he's trying his best but he simply lacks the ability that we all expect someone to have.

He's shown improvement and a "want" to improve and that's a positive imo as wanting to improve is better than someone with all the talent that's lazy and doesn't perform.

He was better than normal yesterday and with the right people I can see better value with him and it makes sense to try and get the best out of him while he's with us.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

12th min
28th min
29th min -
31st min
41st min
50th min -
70th min -
79th min

Thoughts?
Pretty fair assessment but he does some dumb stuff as well..or at least looks like he doesn't give 100% or have the natural ability. It looks hard and not free flowing for him.

But can def see that if he picks up his game 20%? he can do the job for us and may develop a bit more.

Wakeham doesn't look like he will be re-signed so that leaves BBO and Hayward to take it off him if they are good enough....(and get the opportunity they probably deserve).

Between the 3 of them we might be ok for 2023 whilst still looking for an established 7 if there is any available.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

12th min
28th min
29th min -
31st min
41st min
50th min -
70th min -
79th min

Thoughts?
Improving..I think it’s a lot to do with confidence too.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Pretty fair assessment but he does some dumb stuff as well..or at least looks like he doesn't give 100% or have the natural ability. It looks hard and not free flowing for him.

But can def see that if he picks up his game 20%? he can do the job for us and may develop a bit more.

Wakeham doesn't look like he will be re-signed so that leaves BBO and Hayward to take it off him if they are good enough....(and get the opportunity they probably deserve).

Between the 3 of them we might be ok for 2023 whilst still looking for an established 7 if there is any available.
Traditionally teams have a dominant 7 taking all the salary cap but we are the opposite in that our 5/8 will be the one. That's ok these days as it doesn't really matter. Do you drop a mil on a HB to add to the SC stress?

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont know bro. I think he slightly improved in the last few weeks but i think we need more from a half even with a dominant five eighth. His kicking game is hit and miss - mainly miss. He throws the odd good pass but also can look very robotic in his play and incapable of playing eyes up footy. He has no running game and is not a threat to the line at all. His defence is probably his best attribute.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I dont know bro. I think he slightly improved in the last few weeks but i think we need more from a half even with a dominant five eighth. His kicking game is hit and miss - mainly miss. He throws the odd good pass but also can look very robotic in his play and incapable of playing eyes up footy. He has no running game and is not a threat to the line at all. His defence is probably his best attribute.
Should do what I did today mate and just focus on him, might be surprised to be honest. I'm not advocating for him to stay, just wanted to get a good visual on his game.

Malla

Reaction score

12th min
28th min
29th min -
31st min
41st min
50th min -
70th min -
79th min

Thoughts?
Good analysis and appreciate the time you took to get this together.

I think it shows how much Flanno has improved.

What is working well for Flanno is having Burton on the team who is getting all the media attention. Nobody is really noticing what Flanno is doing and thats helping him going under the radar.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Good analysis and appreciate the time you took to get this together.

I think it shows how much Flanno has improved.

What is working well for Flanno is having Burton on the team who is getting all the media attention. Nobody is really noticing what Flanno is doing and thats helping him going under the radar.
Welcome. Symbiotic relationship, Burton needed someone too to do some organising and free up time for him. Now he's in the Origin from what was last placed team.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He dead set deserved the hook after his first half performance, only thing that saved him was his defence. He can not play when he has time, slows the tempo down way too much and frustrates the backs and throws the timing off for the entire set. The best bits of his play in recent weeks have come when he's received the ball under pressure and is forced to make a quick decision like we saw in the lead up to both of Kiraz's tries the last two weeks.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was some good and some not so good from Flanagan vs the Tigers and I appreciate your breakdown

my problem with Flanagan isn't so much about any one performance or his fitness or his effort... it's more about what he can and cannot do

Flanagan doesn't get a lot of height on his bombs to trouble opposing back 3s and the timing is going to have to be spot on in order for our chasers to get there in time to contest... he doesn't have a long kick either and so, when we are struggling to get out of our own end, the opposing team knows that the ball is going to go to Burton and the quality of Burton's kicks thus far drops a little too much when under pressure... Flanagan was able to get a six again with a grubber against the Tigers but it was a simple enough kick and I just don't see any variety in his attacking kicks either... if we are to persist with him though, I'd give him the goal kicking duties --> an important role for the team which he is good at

his passing is okay (although I think his spiral needs work) but again it is limited... I was initially encouraged following his first game for us vs the Knights last year but there has been at least no progression if not an outright regression in his passing game... he seems to play to patterns without playing what is in front of him and as such, I think he lacks judgement as to when and to whom to pass to and when to run

Flanagan is not particularly athletic or fast and so, he doesn't represent a running threat and that probably hampers his support play

maybe I am being harsh and Flanagan has been dropped into a terrible situation and has suffered as a result... but we are his third club already

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno is still young but he’s playing a lot better now with stability in the team and watching him yesterday he was pretty good

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not good enough and this is probably his ceiling (from an ability perspective)

Don't forget we played the Tigers, who are a sham club/team, no kick pressure, so this performance is nothing to crow about and he's again done the bare minimum one would expect from a 1st grade half back.

His dad had to hook Chad Townsend in their semi against the raiders, Kyle is a lesser version than Chad. I think that alone shows if we want a premiership he needs to be replaced

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

12th min
28th min
29th min -
31st min
41st min
50th min -
70th min -
79th min

Thoughts?
Thanks GrogDog, appreciate the insight

7/10 is fair rating and I think we need to accept with flanno that if he plays to the absolute best of his ability he will be rated around 8/10. That is no disrespect to him because as you say he is one of the lowest paid number 7's in the game and that allows us to surround him with match winners / players that can play a 9 or 10/10 game like Burton Mahoney or Kikau

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Steady improvement, overall tempo needs to increase and pass selection needs to be better. Flanno / Averillo combination on the right edge will get better the more they play together.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Traditionally teams have a dominant 7 taking all the salary cap but we are the opposite in that our 5/8 will be the one. That's ok these days as it doesn't really matter. Do you drop a mil on a HB to add to the SC stress?
Traditionally maybe, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary these days;
Hynes is the dominant half at Cronulla and he's a 5/8
Munster is the dominant half at Melbourne and he plays at 5/8
Wighton is the dominant half at Canbra and he plays at 5/8
Walker is the dominant half at Souths and he plays at 5/8

Always a Bulldog