Opinion Flanno v Tigers analysis

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Traditionally maybe, but there is plenty of evidence to the contrary these days;
Hynes is the dominant half at Cronulla and he's a 5/8
Munster is the dominant half at Melbourne and he plays at 5/8
Wighton is the dominant half at Canbra and he plays at 5/8
Walker is the dominant half at Souths and he plays at 5/8

Always a Bulldog
That's what I'm saying, it doesn't matter anymore.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
there was some good and some not so good from Flanagan vs the Tigers and I appreciate your breakdown

my problem with Flanagan isn't so much about any one performance or his fitness or his effort... it's more about what he can and cannot do

Flanagan doesn't get a lot of height on his bombs to trouble opposing back 3s and the timing is going to have to be spot on in order for our chasers to get there in time to contest... he doesn't have a long kick either and so, when we are struggling to get out of our own end, the opposing team knows that the ball is going to go to Burton and the quality of Burton's kicks thus far drops a little too much when under pressure... Flanagan was able to get a six again with a grubber against the Tigers but it was a simple enough kick and I just don't see any variety in his attacking kicks either... if we are to persist with him though, I'd give him the goal kicking duties --> an important role for the team which he is good at

his passing is okay (although I think his spiral needs work) but again it is limited... I was initially encouraged following his first game for us vs the Knights last year but there has been at least no progression if not an outright regression in his passing game... he seems to play to patterns without playing what is in front of him and as such, I think he lacks judgement as to when and to whom to pass to and when to run

Flanagan is not particularly athletic or fast and so, he doesn't represent a running threat and that probably hampers his support play

maybe I am being harsh and Flanagan has been dropped into a terrible situation and has suffered as a result... but we are his third club already
i think your spot on there, if we compare the 2 halves we have, Flannigan and BBO, BBO has a higher ceiling. All flanno is doing is catch and pass, what BBO offers is xfactor. he can score an individual try, like he did yesterday and in the previous weeks through a kick and chase. He through a beautiful ball yesterday for a try, flick pass back on the inside. Flanno cant do this.
Im happy for BBO to keep learning his trade in reserve grade this year and maybe at the backend of the year he gets a change in 1st grade in a team that is hopefully winning and has confidence.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think your spot on there, if we compare the 2 halves we have, Flannigan and BBO, BBO has a higher ceiling. All flanno is doing is catch and pass, what BBO offers is xfactor. he can score an individual try, like he did yesterday and in the previous weeks through a kick and chase. He through a beautiful ball yesterday for a try, flick pass back on the inside. Flanno cant do this.
Im happy for BBO to keep learning his trade in reserve grade this year and maybe at the backend of the year he gets a change in 1st grade in a team that is hopefully winning and has confidence.
I am hoping one of our juniors develops well enough and quick enough to provide a proper second option for us in the halves whether that be BBO, Rajab, Hayward etc... ultimately, though, I think BBO will be a '14' off the bench for us

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am hoping one of our juniors develops well enough and quick enough to provide a proper second option for us in the halves whether that be BBO, Rajab, Hayward etc... ultimately, though, I think BBO will be a '14' off the bench for us
Mahoney is genuine 80 minute dumnyhalf though

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think with Mahoney being an 80 minute hooker we won't be carrying a hooker cover on the bench unless it's a forward that could play there if there was an injury (or we just want to rest Mahoney with 10 minutes left, e.g. someone like Topine). I'd be carrying an outside back on the bench for HIA's or 4 forwards.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah there was a backline set out right and it opened up for Flanno, all Averillo had to do was push up and try was on - not Flanno's fault he took the right option.
It is Flanagan's fault, go back on Kayo and have a look if you have it. Jake wanted the ball the play before and came across from the left and created an overlap on the right yet Flanagan over called him and took the ball left. Jake was then screaming for the ball after that happened and instead of Flanagan getting the ball to him he then decided he wanted to carry the ball into the line for the first time all game when all that was required was a quick pass because the space and numbers already existed.

This is one of the big issues with Flanagan, his combination play with his halves and outside backs is awful. He plays very structured, so much so that we can have an entire set on the line and he handles the ball four times while his halves partners and backs don't touch the ball a single time.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Everyone has improved.
Flanno has had a good few weeks. As long as he keeps it up he keeps his spot. He's playing like he's finally getting his confidence back.

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Only question would be can he help us win a gf, if burton goes down can he carry the team. There’s no point in your halves only taking you so far up the ladder, the difference in two good halves and only having one dominant is we won’t see a gf we need a 7 to be adding to that score line. Flanno could get there, he’s young. Just need to know if burton will stay with us so we can build that combination

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think with Mahoney being an 80 minute hooker we won't be carrying a hooker cover on the bench unless it's a forward that could play there if there was an injury (or we just want to rest Mahoney with 10 minutes left, e.g. someone like Topine). I'd be carrying an outside back on the bench for HIA's or 4 forwards.
Mahoney is genuine 80 minute dumnyhalf though
fair point

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Only question would be can he help us win a gf, if burton goes down can he carry the team. There’s no point in your halves only taking you so far up the ladder, the difference in two good halves and only having one dominant is we won’t see a gf we need a 7 to be adding to that score line. Flanno could get there, he’s young. Just need to know if burton will stay with us so we can build that combination
Good point.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan needs to fk off in good ball territory (should be third playmaker option behind Burton and Avo)

His decision making in good ball is awful the majority of the time

Every ‘hit up’ is also an afterthought and not pre meditated /running with purpose

He’s probably playing to his potential but stifling the attack yesterday in the first half cos he thinks touching the ball 4 times a set translates to helping

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
we would probably carry an edge that can also play centre

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan needs to fk off in good ball territory (should be third playmaker option behind Burton and Avo)

His decision making in good ball is awful the majority of the time

Every ‘hit up’ is also an afterthought and not pre meditated /running with purpose

He’s probably playing to his potential but stifling the attack yesterday in the first half cos he thinks touching the ball 4 times a set translates to helping
100%, i sat behind the post yesterday and you can get a good view of where flannigan was caught with the ball when he should have gone out the back to averillo who had the overlap.
lets hope that gets brought up in the video sessions

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I've been guilty just like many of being negative towards the guy (Flanno), SO when I watched yesterday's game again today I decided I might pay extra attention to his game to see what I come up with. I've ummed and ahhed about him like you for ages now, I wanted to get some facts to help me decide about him instead of running on emotion.

Winners are grinners and most players look good in a winning game.

So this will be long, if your not interested in this sort of thing then feel free to move on.

So if your still with me I watched him and made these notes,

* So I decided to this after the 11th min and couldn't be bothered rewinding,
12th min
- Kick, grubber that forces a line drop out
13th min - Kicked cross field, landed 10m out from opposition tryline - causes a knock-on = our scrum
* positional play and linking very good, organising forwards during play
14th min - JMK scores from dummy half scoot in the set from scrum
* Tigers have the ball for a bit here and score from JAC's wing error
22nd min - 5th tackle, 10m from tigers tryline Flanno takes on the line, stopped 1m out. At this point the backline was a little too deep but he should have passed it as there was an opportunity and most likely a try coming.
24th min - after a tigers kick Flanno was first back to dummy half to pass the ball, showed effort to be there ready 1%er
28th min
- Prop run impacting on the line, Flanno waiting and available for the offload if needed. 1%er
29th min -
arranging forwards during play and organising
30th min - Dogs attack falters near tigers tryline and we lose 25m, Flanno is back and available for the 5th tackle kick. Bomb lands 1m from tryline, good placement. 1%er
31st min
- Dogs 1st tackle 15m out and Flanno stands as pivot, passes to JAC giving width, JAC runs 40m down field, passes to Burto who grubbers into in goal getting us a dropout. Flanno supporting inside Burto.
34th min - Allan catches kick on full and runs 40m. Dogs don't reset for attack, JMK passes to Flanno, takes the tackle and gets hurt a little 1%er
41st min
- 1st man back at dummy half after tigers 5th tackle kick 1%er
50th min -
Averillo try, Flanno first man there celebrating, Burto does the Penriff jump on group thing.
53rd min - 5th tackle kick, Flanno bomb lands 4m from tryline, good height and forces the tigers FB to jump under pressure from a screaming through Averillo.
53rd min - in defence Flanno adjusts well, makes tackle. Commentators say it's his 19th tackle so far.
54th min - Flanno does a 2 man cut out pass to Allan, Allan back inside for Kiraz to score
* Huge team celebration, JAC and Allan make intentional congrats to Flanno for the lead up pass Dogs 24 - 6.
66th min - Burto has ball on 5th tackle, switch play back to Flanno on other side of ruck. Flanno inside ball to a screaming through Averillo, AVO runs 10 to 15m before a chip/grubber that almost comes off for the dogs.
67th min - Schoupp intercept try, Flanno in support 1%er
70th min -
Dogs get a penalty, Flanno can be seen in there organising the next play
71st min - Running switch play that started on the left and went back to the right and passes to a runner. Changing angles, not just 1 out stuff.
75th min - Flanno involved with a half break with Docker-Clay and Max King from dummy half.
77th min - Tigers make a break with Little. Flanno made it back to cover on the inside at FB and help stop the play. Vaughan then gets 10 mins in the bin. 1%er
79th min
- Tamou consolation try - GAME OVER - YEAH DOGGIES 36 - 12.

I gave Flanno's game a 7/10 after watching it again. He played well.

Ok, so in conclusion to me his defence is solid and I don't think anyone can call out that part of his game.

His fitness is really high, he's always there as support runner, helping out guy's when being tackled and doing the 1%er's that you don't see unless watching for it.

So here's the question, he obviously not a massive point scoring/setting up half back but for me all we needed is/was someone to assist Burton and unlock Burto's potential. He does this quite well and one would think will get better. Flanno is on what> 450k by all reports, pretty much min wage for a halfback these days.

If I had my wish we would sign Jahrome Hughes, he's a great HB. Here's the quandary, do you go with the dominant 5/8, have a solid HB that does his job instead of breaking the bank and use that money in other areas?

We have Kikau and Mahoney next year, Burto, JAC, Averillo smashing it at FB, TPJ, RFM all adding to attack. That's not including the young blokes showing good things and Alamoti in the future, Is it an advantage having a solid HB and freeing up space for other area's of the salary cap?

Thank you for getting to this part if you made it. Hope this made sense.

Thoughts?
Nice analysis. And I agree he tries hard with his 1%ers. But his ceiling is as a catch and pass halfback. His kicking is non-existent to below average and his running is non-existent. As a result, can’t really class him as a ‘solid HB’, when he can’t perform the fundamentals of the position

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Still waiting for Flanagan to stop the short passes to Waddell who always gets tackled immediately on that play. Flanno needs to use Waddell more as a decoy and send the ball wide quickly to try and create an overlap.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a much better 7 than Flanagan if we want to really compete with the top teams and so we need one of the best players in the comp also to give us a real advantage. If we keep the team we have now plus Mahoney and Kikau and get rid of some deadwood like Thompson we should be able to afford like 1.3 - 1.4M a season for Munster. Hopefully enough to get him to come here instead of QLD. We don't have any million dollar players like the Panthers, Storm, Roosters, Sea Eagles, Dragons, Titans and Raiders do. Surely we can afford 1. Dufty and Vaughan are gone they say so is Hetherington. I'd let Stimson leave. Re-sign RFM for a bit of a downgrade. Shop Flanagan, Allan and Thompson. Get on the good side of Anasta by inviting him to assistant coach some sessions. He does care about the club and wants to see us get better. Sign Munster for 2024.

1 Jake Averillo
2 JAC
3 Aaron Schoupp
4 Paul Alamoti
5 Jacob Kiraz
6 Cameron Munster
7 Matt Burton
8 Max King
9 Reed Mahoney
10 TPJ
11 Viliame Kikau
12 RFM