Opinion Flanno v Tigers analysis

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I just watched it back.

1. On the 4th play, Avo ran from left to right behind the ruck but it was too early. There was no overlap.
2. On the last as pictured below, We could argue either case for the last however Kyle was looking to pass and he was expecting Averillo to push up, he didn't and so he held it. He should have still passed either way.

I personally believe that Averillo should have pushed up and hit that hole outside Seyfarth. He scores under the posts as Seyfarth is flat footed. He should have still passed either way, but I think they close the gap as Averillo is standing too deep, Seyfarth would have recovered and they have a couple more in cover defense.

In summary, we are both right.

View attachment 54715
That's was my summation of the play aswell, as originally described in the post.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
2. On the last as pictured below, We could argue either case for the last however Kyle was looking to pass and he was expecting Averillo to push up, he didn't and so he held it. He should have still passed either way.
There's your answer, he should have passed it. Averillo is fast, he should know this, he should've passed it. It's on Flanagan,

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I just watched it back.

1. On the 4th play, Avo ran from left to right behind the ruck but it was too early. There was no overlap.

I personally believe that Averillo should have pushed up and hit that hole outside Seyfarth. He scores under the posts as Seyfarth is flat footed. He should have still passed either way, but I think they close the gap as Averillo is standing too deep, Seyfarth would have recovered and they have a couple more in cover defense.

In summary, we are both right.

View attachment 54715
There was an overlap because Jake has the pace to easily get on the outside and attack the space, something Flanagan isn't capable of doing. Even in the second picture there's only two defenders outside of Jake while we have three in attack. This all goes back to my original point about Flanagan and how he struggles to combine with his halves and outside backs, Jake wanted the ball and the backs were set off him but Flanagan did his own things instead of reacting to what his outside men were doing.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
There was an overlap because Jake has the pace to easily get on the outside and attack the space, something Flanagan isn't capable of doing. Even in the second picture there's only two defenders outside of Jake while we have three in attack. This all goes back to my original point about Flanagan and how he struggles to combine with his halves and outside backs, Jake wanted the ball and the backs were set off him but Flanagan did his own things instead of reacting to what his outside men were doing.
Definitely created an overlap and he had heaps of time to pass the ball.
he has no vision that’s his problem

Malla

Reaction score
They were standing too deep and flat.

Malla

Reaction score
There's your answer, he should have passed it. Averillo is fast, he should know this, he should've passed it. It's on Flanagan,
Thanks scoop.
Averillo should still have pushed up and scores under the posts. There’s also my answer.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks scoop.
Averillo should still have pushed up and scores under the posts. There’s also my answer.
Still doesn't take away that Kyle had one correct option and only one correct option in that play, i.e. pass to Jake. Jake had two correct options, could either have stayed where he was or as you say push up further.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed his improvement since being back in first grade too. Whilst he might'nt be flashy like Cleary, He is now taking some pressure off Burto and it is showing in Burton's game and our team performance.
He may not be flashy like Cleary, but he supports Burton and is better than Luai.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They were standing too deep and flat.
Bro, give it up. There were FOUR players outside Flanagan positioned perfectly fine for the play they had called and all Flanagan had to do was get the ball across to them but instead he took the entire backline out of play doing his own thing. Even earlier in the set we had the entire team setup to the left yet Flanagan ignored that and simply turned Vaughan under. I agree there's other things that could've happened in that final play but the reality of the situation was that Flanagan had one very simple option and he didn't take it.

As I've said before this all goes back to my original point on Flanagan and it's that he's absolutely awful at linking up with his halves and outside backs. Far too many times opportunities on the edges go begging because he simply refuses to throw the ball wide or isn't even on the same page as the players outside him. He seems to be doing a good job around the ruck with our forwards and pushing them where he wants them but he needs to break away from his conservative nature at times because we can't be having sets on the opponents red zone where not one of Burton, Averillo or a single back touch the ball because he refuses to play any wider than our backrowers.

Malla

Reaction score
Still doesn't take away that Kyle had one correct option and only one correct option in that play, i.e. pass to Jake. Jake had two correct options, could either have stayed where he was or as you say push up further.
Jake had one correct option which would have led to a try. Both of them are as liable for the fk up as each other.

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Come on bro, give it up once and for all

Tell all! Did kyle bang ya missus or sis?

Malla

Reaction score
Bro, give it up. There were FOUR players outside Flanagan positioned perfectly fine for the play they had called and all Flanagan had to do was get the ball across to them but instead he took the entire backline out of play doing his own thing. Even earlier in the set we had the entire team setup to the left yet Flanagan ignored that and simply turned Vaughan under. I agree there's other things that could've happened in that final play but the reality of the situation was that Flanagan had one very simple option and he didn't take it.

As I've said before this all goes back to my original point on Flanagan and it's that he's absolutely awful at linking up with his halves and outside backs. Far too many times opportunities on the edges go begging because he simply refuses to throw the ball wide or isn't even on the same page as the players outside him. He seems to be doing a good job around the ruck with our forwards and pushing them where he wants them but he needs to break away from his conservative nature at times because we can't be having sets on the opponents red zone where not one of Burton, Averillo or a single back touch the ball because he refuses to play any wider than our backrowers.
I disagree with you. I am not giving anything up champ. Are you the only bloke that can be right about anything doggies related here? People have opinions, that are not the same as yours, live with it.

You can't tell me that everyone outside of Averillo was not standing too flat? You know footy enough to acknowledge that. And as a footy player, a fullback of all position, you see it open up the way it did in front of Averillo you attack the hole and he would have slid through like a hot dog down a hallway. Instead he chose to stay put on the 10m line and throw his arms in the air when he didn't get the ball. Averillo still has a lot to learn. As does Kyle. You need to acknowledge that Matthew.

Flanno throws it wide. He actually put on a try with a wide pass against Tigers I think.