News EXCLUSIVE: Darren Lockyer reveals Ben Hunt mail amid gun playmaker's contract wrestle

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Darren Lockyer reveals Ben Hunt mail amid gun playmaker's contract wrestle

Darren Lockyer has revealed that his mail is the Bulldogs are pushing hard to lure Ben Hunt — and Wally Lewis says Canterbury and the veteran playmaker would match up well.

Lockyer's intel comes amid links between Hunt and a return to Queensland, with Nine's Danny Weidler reporting on Sky Sports Radio this week that the Titans are "suddenly right in the market".

"I hear the Bulldogs are in for him because they're probably looking for an experienced halfback," Lockyer said on this week's edition of Wide World of Sports' QLDER.

Interesting to hear you say the Bulldogs, Locky," Lewis replied.

"I reckon he'd fit in pretty well at the Dogs. He's got some fairly large boys up in front of him that can provide good field position and opportunities — a couple of former Broncos, as well, that he's had the opportunity to enjoy playing alongside."

Hunt is contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2025, but the recent axing of Anthony Griffin disgruntled the Queenslander.

There are also whispers of Hunt being irked by St George Illawarra wanting him to play at hooker instead of halfback. He had a stint starting games at hooker in the final month of Griffin's tenure and there is a belief that Dragons powerbrokers want to see their star halves of the future given a chance.

"(Griffin) has been here for a couple of years now and we are building in a direction I believe is the right direction," Hunt said as pressure mounted on the coach before his sacking.

"I believe if you take away your coach and bring a new coach in, it's going to start that cycle again and, to be honest, I don't have the time to start it all again."

Talatau Amone, 21, is contracted until the end of 2024 and fellow Dragons young gun Jayden Sullivan, 21, is tied to the club until the completion of 2025, but their careers are stalling in Hunt's path.

The Bulldogs also have a highly touted playmaker on the books in 18-year-old whiz-kid Karl Oloapu, while the brilliant Matt Burton is their five-eighth.

Anyone know if Lockyer talks shit? I wouldn't believe it if it was coming from Matty John's but Lockyer seems more legit since he doesn't really come out and have his predictions.

Sorry for starting another thread.

Burt Matton

Kennel Established
Reaction score
EXCLUSIVE: Darren Lockyer reveals Ben Hunt mail amid gun playmaker's contract wrestle

Darren Lockyer has revealed that his mail is the Bulldogs are pushing hard to lure Ben Hunt — and Wally Lewis says Canterbury and the veteran playmaker would match up well.

Lockyer's intel comes amid links between Hunt and a return to Queensland, with Nine's Danny Weidler reporting on Sky Sports Radio this week that the Titans are "suddenly right in the market".

"I hear the Bulldogs are in for him because they're probably looking for an experienced halfback," Lockyer said on this week's edition of Wide World of Sports' QLDER.

Interesting to hear you say the Bulldogs, Locky," Lewis replied.

"I reckon he'd fit in pretty well at the Dogs. He's got some fairly large boys up in front of him that can provide good field position and opportunities — a couple of former Broncos, as well, that he's had the opportunity to enjoy playing alongside."

Hunt is contracted to the Dragons until the end of 2025, but the recent axing of Anthony Griffin disgruntled the Queenslander.

There are also whispers of Hunt being irked by St George Illawarra wanting him to play at hooker instead of halfback. He had a stint starting games at hooker in the final month of Griffin's tenure and there is a belief that Dragons powerbrokers want to see their star halves of the future given a chance.

"(Griffin) has been here for a couple of years now and we are building in a direction I believe is the right direction," Hunt said as pressure mounted on the coach before his sacking.

"I believe if you take away your coach and bring a new coach in, it's going to start that cycle again and, to be honest, I don't have the time to start it all again."

Talatau Amone, 21, is contracted until the end of 2024 and fellow Dragons young gun Jayden Sullivan, 21, is tied to the club until the completion of 2025, but their careers are stalling in Hunt's path.

The Bulldogs also have a highly touted playmaker on the books in 18-year-old whiz-kid Karl Oloapu, while the brilliant Matt Burton is their five-eighth.

Anyone know if Lockyer talks shit? I wouldn't believe it if it was coming from Matty John's but Lockyer seems more legit since he doesn't really come out and have his predictions.

Sorry for starting another thread.
Yes he talks shit. Remember this?

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Feel our trust in the club has been totally exhausted over the years with the likes of Castle and Dib. Gus knows footy through and through it’s an evident we need a halfback visually we lack organisation or adequate game control to go toe for toe with top teams. Gus will do what’s right for the club, and his ego of course which works in our favour firmly believe we will have a crack at getting him and there’s no better man for the job to pull it of. Wind it back a few years ago we were signing Napa and Woods as our best signings, had a lacklustre backline and nobody’s in the spine.

My take on it is Hunt wants a premiership two years left in his career we tick both boxes, coin and a shot at glory. Phins will be in his ear, watch out for Roosters to don’t see anyone else getting him. Lands us in a three way race we’ve become a much more attractive option players hopping on board and Gus’ succulent chinese meals. Mahoney, Hunt, Burton and Critta behind a full strengh and improved foward back would be something.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From the quick read of the article, Lockyer is quoted as saying "they're (we) probably after a halfback" he hardly indicates he's actually got any word on us being in negotiations/close to closing a deal. Gould supposedly approached hunt a while ago though.

I'd be ok with picking up an experienced half to guide our young halves for a year or two. But it could actually backfire a bit if players with potential see their pathways closing before their eyes.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes he talks shit. Remember this?
That was the first thing that came to my mind as soon as Lockyer's name was mentioned. I will never forgive the grub for that comment.
Did he ever say the same thing when Lodge played for the Broncos?

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we landed hunt and trying to fit the best players available to accomodate the move you could try

1.Crichton
2.JAC
3.Burton
4.Xerri
5.Kiraz
6.Olapau
7.Hunt

other options are obviously Burton 5/8, Crichton centre etc but that backline looks good if Xerri can get to where he was before ban. Olapau could play 14 obviously as well. I can’t see Burton not playing in the halves but wouldn’t mind seeing him have a go at fullback too

silva

Utility
Reaction score
If we landed hunt and trying to fit the best players available to accomodate the move you could try

1.Crichton
2.JAC
3.Burton
4.Xerri
5.Kiraz
6.Olapau
7.Hunt

other options are obviously Burton 5/8, Crichton centre etc but that backline looks good if Xerri can get to where he was before ban. Olapau could play 14 obviously as well. I can’t see Burton not playing in the halves but wouldn’t mind seeing him have a go at fullback too
Burtons our long term 6 and playmaker make no mistake about that. He is improving each game and moving him to fullback or centre is a dud move

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who are the couple of ex Broncos the brain dead c&&t Lewis claims Hunt played with.
Tpj would be a maybe just coming thru when Hunt left.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Make it happen Gus, go get your 7, these guys can all say what they think.. and I agree we need his experience, be a great signing!!

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
More wasted brain cells..

probably, maybe, likely etc

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From the quick read of the article, Lockyer is quoted as saying "they're (we) probably after a halfback" he hardly indicates he's actually got any word on us being in negotiations/close to closing a deal. Gould supposedly approached hunt a while ago though.

I'd be ok with picking up an experienced half to guide our young halves for a year or two. But it could actually backfire a bit if players with potential see their pathways closing before their eyes.
Gus will do everything to get an experienced half at our club.
Gould has been on record saying he loves having an older experience half guiding young exciting halves
He did it at Penrith with mahony and tried to get Thurston to help Nathan cleary early on.

Experience halves are few and far between
Ben hunt is about the only option Gus has right now.

I'm still pissed we didn't go all out for Adam Reynolds when that opportunity was available.
Obviously cap space wasn't there I assume

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

All I can say is where there's smoke there's fire...
Did we think when Gus met with Hunt it was just for a coffee ? and that's only few months ago.
Baring in mind nothing has changed since except the inclusion of a young 17 now 18 year old Oloapu who I believe will benefit from his inclusion.
Get him Gus...if the price is right !

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Lockyer hates us and old mate Wally is not all there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hunt stays with Dragon.