Email from Steve Folkes to myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is bullsh*t.
# One last point, FOlkes is a premiership winning coach, and deserves respect. But that doesnt mean all his calls have been right. He persisted with Perry when we had Isaac Luke in the reserves waiting for a chance. At thefirst chance Luke had in FG he killed it, and has never looked back. Folkes never gave Luke a shot, and also failed to see the worth of Thurston hence let him go. He also persisted with putting Mason at prop, when Mason is a devastating backrower as proven by how Fittler uses Mason eclusively in the second row, running wider.
# The recruitment retention calls have in a big way been up to Folkes, it has been up to him to keep players that he values and wants to keep here, and we have stuffed up big time in that regard. We couldnt keep them all, but we kept none.
Fantastically well said!!

K

KL

Thanks for the input. I've added something in ;)

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that. He struggles to control the team, whether the forwards are making good meters or not. His last tackle options are poor most of the time and if it takes more than 5 weeks, let alone 10 weeks as it has for DJ, for a half-back who is being coached by the great Andrew Johns to find some form then something is very wrong. I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

As you have mentioned, he has had some good matches but even in those matches, he was not great. This may work down the track for him (playing half-back on a regular bases), it may not, but at the moment he is under immense pressure to do a job that he quite clearly has worked hard on with Andrew Johns but also quite clearly he can not excel at as proven in premier league last year and these first 10 weeks.

My suggestion? Michael Sullivan to half-back. Give him 2-3 weeks. If that doesn't work, try Groom. What have we got to lose? We are losing enough as it is with Holdsworth failing at half-back. And hey let's think outside the square a little if that doesn't work by promoting Arana Taumata from NYC who has been very creative and impressive at half-back and off the bench. To put it quite simply - Try new things before we end up walking away with the spoon. This is a re-building year, after all.

I hope we can find a winning team and a successful strategy so we can start stringing some wins together.

Sincerely,
Matthew A
Long time Bulldogs supporter
lol

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Obviously Folkes has to be somewhat partial towards his players efforts. It just wouldnt be right to criticise them. Its un-business like. But the way i see it, we dont have too much of a choice. Barba is way too small and under-developed. I havent seen too much on Groom so i wont comment. But from what i hear and read, he's yet to prove himself. If it is true we have signed/looking to sign Noddy, then it may be a breath of fresh air. He's nothing special, but he does all the simple things right, which is what we need at the moment.

Having said that, i feel sorry for DJ. Even though his defence is good, half-back is not his position. No doubt he trains hard and puts his heart into it. But at some point talent needs to be part of your game. And he aint got it.

Nevertheless i will still be cheering him and the guys on. In it for the long haul. 10/4.

K

KL

Even if it is not Folkes responding to emails, what is said is true.

most of you morons haven't even seen Groom play this season, so how can you he deserves his shot, from all the games I have seen he doesn't deserve selection in FG.

Sullivan was pathetic when he went into a playmaker position on Saturday, so you wont see him there next week.

our problems is forwards not dominating the opposition as we havein previous years, when your forwards are more dominant a weaker or worse halfback performs better. last season Orge and Mason avg metres was 140 and 130. this year our best is tsolous on 126m, mostly of the bench, now he is injured it is back to hickey Armit and cleal who avg around 80m per game. there is no way we will win with forwards that cant even manage 100m per game. how do you expect DJ, Groom, or even sullivan to perform behind this pack.

jasetd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Obviously Folkes has to be somewhat partial towards his players efforts. It just wouldnt be right to criticise them. Its un-business like. But the way i see it, we dont have too much of a choice. Barba is way too small and under-developed. I havent seen too much on Groom so i wont comment. But from what i hear and read, he's yet to prove himself. If it is true we have signed/looking to sign Noddy, then it may be a breath of fresh air. He's nothing special, but he does all the simple things right, which is what we need at the moment.

Having said that, i feel sorry for DJ. Even though his defence is good, half-back is not his position. No doubt he trains hard and puts his heart into it. But at some point talent needs to be part of your game. And he aint got it.

Nevertheless i will still be cheering him and the guys on. In it for the long haul. 10/4.

Gee up!

jasetd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Even if it is not Folkes responding to emails, what is said is true.

most of you morons haven't even seen Groom play this season, so how can you he deserves his shot, from all the games I have seen he doesn't deserve selection in FG.

Sullivan was pathetic when he went into a playmaker position on Saturday, so you wont see him there next week.

our problems is forwards not dominating the opposition as we havein previous years, when your forwards are more dominant a weaker or worse halfback performs better. last season Orge and Mason avg metres was 140 and 130. this year our best is tsolous on 126m, mostly of the bench, now he is injured it is back to hickey Armit and cleal who avg around 80m per game. there is no way we will win with forwards that cant even manage 100m per game. how do you expect DJ, Groom, or even sullivan to perform behind this pack.
may not have seen groome but have seen plenty of HOLDSWORTH!!!

and i think most people are saying groome cant be any worse than holdsworth....and if he is, he shouldnt be playing football...

For god sake, dont you get it? Holdsworth is a terrible halfback.....

even when our forwards are going well, holdsworth is terrible...

its as simple as that

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
its simple as this.....HOLDSWORTH YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK...GOODBYE

jasetd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Firstly, I've taking the liberty to email Steve and ask him first hand why he persists with Daniel Holdsworth over Aaron Groom after everyone here asks that question. I received 2 emails from him in response to 2 questions and I can assure you that Steve Folkes see's the errors that Holdsworth makes and does what he thinks is best. I would like to apologise to Daniel for any rude comments i've said to him on the Kennel after Steve opened my eyes to our teams current situation.

PS - I am not going to disclose Folksey's email address nor tell you how I got it, so don't ask. - I also received consent from Steve to post it on this forum as an answer to the questions you are all asking. The emails are below:
In the email, Folkes asks him to find another scape goat....lol...

so is he saying "dont give Holdsworth any more ****e, give it to someone else"...lol......like who ryan? hughes? patten? SB?

Big Gee up!

K

KL

may not have seen groome but have seen plenty of HOLDSWORTH!!!

and i think most people are saying groome cant be any worse than holdsworth....and if he is, he shouldnt be playing football...

For god sake, dont you get it? Holdsworth is a terrible halfback.....

even when our forwards are going well, holdsworth is terrible...

its as simple as that
Our forwards haven't gone well all year champ

We miss mase and orge big time, now Justin is injured we are gone dont even think about top 8 with our pack.

Holdsworth is not good he has been quite avergae lately, but Groom or Sullivan would not do any better at this stage.

btw the team hasn't been named so we dont know what is going to happen until tomorrow

jasetd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our forwards haven't gone well all year champ

We miss mase and orge big time, now Justin is injured we are gone dont even think about top 8 with our pack.

Holdsworth is not good he has been quite avergae lately, but Groom or Sullivan would not do any better at this stage.

btw the team hasn't been named so we dont know what is going to happen until tomorrow
i have my fingers crossed for tomorrow....and all i'm saying, is that even when our pack is doing well...holdsworth is still poor

Line Break

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Load of BS. Folkes isn't going to respond to even someone he knows regarding professional business related issues.

And then lol to allow the guy to post it onto the forums is even worse, the media could have a field day with it.

jasetd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Load of BS. Folkes isn't going to respond to even someone he knows regarding professional business related issues.

And then lol to allow the guy to post it onto the forums is even worse, the media could have a field day with it.
exactly.....good on Ajay for the effort and thanks to the people who believed him....made for a good laugh

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
i mean that the email is some kind of hoax....

quite a poor attempt too as far as i'm concerned
I thought thats what you meant.
Well ive learned not to believe too much thats said on the net. No disrespect to AJ. I was mainly commenting from a hypothetical point of view.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
lol all the bullsh!t that is made up on this place is bloody ridiculous

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Omg Its Daniel Holdsworth! Get Off Our Forum!
LMFAO good call!

lolI can assure you, I am not DJ. I've been a member on here since December. And I had a go at DJ before... so if I was DJ, why would I have a go at myself :whacky:
Oh thats the perfect cover.

If you are DJ and had a go at yourself, it'd make it seem MORE like you are DJ in-cognito.

No offence, but judging by your previous posts you seem fairly young. Unless you arethe son of someone that knows Folkes, I don't believe you.

Secondly, Folkes articulates himself very well when he isn't chewing gum, and your "emails" are poorly articulated, and carry the same grammar and wording that you use in your posts. So unless you paraphrased his emails, sorry but I don't believe you.

From Email by Steve Folkes
Aaron Groom is a talented young player who is learning his trade in NSW cup not Toyota cup. How many of these supporters you speak of have actually seen him play this year? I would think not many of you.
Enough of them to know that he's not a perfect player, but he's alot better than what we have at present.

Daniel had a shocker last weekend by his own admission but his effort could not be faulted.
No, Daniel always puts in the effort. The fact he is rarely seen for the majority of the game except to throw a forward pass, or kick out on the full, or drop the ball. I agree it's still effort, just not the effort you want.

It is extremely difficult to play as a halfback wen your forwards are not winning the ruck and we continue to drop the ball. While we are obviously not entirely happy with his form he has played quite competently in a number of games which funnily enough I didn’t receive any congratulatory emails on his form.
Who has the most errors out of any current player in the Bulldogs side? It's Daniel Holdsworth. Forwards can't got forwards if balls arrive at their feet, or go forward to reach them. They also can't go forward when the ball is delivered flat across the line to them.

I think it is disgraceful that Bulldog supporters are giving him such a hard time. You guys should be encouraging him as much as possible because the constant barrage of abuse he is coping is not helping his confidence or his desire to play for you the fan.
Supporters that keep YOUR football club alive buying merchandise, attending games, etc?

While I admire your passion you should perhaps look for another scapegoat. We at present have almost 50% of our salary cap on the sidelines.
Scapegoat, we already have more than one and he's leaving next year.

I honestly don't think its him, but they would be my replies to "Steve Folkes" if it is him.

Status
Not open for further replies.