Email from Steve Folkes to myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody hell mate, how bitter can you get. This type of venomous criticism does no one any good especially the players. If you want to get the anger off your chest go kick a dog or something.

They don't need us to tell them they were flogged and made lots of mistakes, blind freddy can see that. If you don’t want to support a team when they are losing, go and support the Storm they are on a winning streak.
I'm not biter, just frustrated. I get frustrated when people deny the obvious truth because it threatens them. They lie to themselves and those around them. Folkes is simply in denial, and that will never solve a problem.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
if this isnt a gee up then i applaud folkes for atleast not keeping us in the dark
It is not a gee-up I assure you. What would I have to achieve from it? Also, if you are lucky enough to have Steve's email address, email him and ask him if he got any emails from me. I'll even screenshot my inbox if you like.

H

Haztrick

You didn't offer a suggestion Haztrick, you just stated what we all, and probably Folkes already know.
Thanks for the input. I've added something in ;)

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that. He struggles to control the team, whether the forwards are making good meters or not. His last tackle options are poor most of the time and if it takes more than 5 weeks, let alone 10 weeks as it has for DJ, for a half-back who is being coached by the great Andrew Johns to find some form then something is very wrong. I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

As you have mentioned, he has had some good matches but even in those matches, he was not great. This may work down the track for him (playing half-back on a regular bases), it may not, but at the moment he is under immense pressure to do a job that he quite clearly has worked hard on with Andrew Johns but also quite clearly he can not excel at as proven in premier league last year and these first 10 weeks.

My suggestion? Michael Sullivan to half-back. Give him 2-3 weeks. If that doesn't work, try Groom. What have we got to lose? We are losing enough as it is with Holdsworth failing at half-back. And hey let's think outside the square a little if that doesn't work by promoting Arana Taumata from NYC who has been very creative and impressive at half-back and off the bench. To put it quite simply - Try new things before we end up walking away with the spoon. This is a re-building year, after all.

I hope we can find a winning team and a successful strategy so we can start stringing some wins together.

Sincerely,
Matthew A
Long time Bulldogs supporter

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have Sullivan and / or Hughes. As if we dont have any other options.
Is it just me or has anyone not seen Sully pass this year?

He is not a halfback. He is a hooker. And everyone lambasted Corey back in the late 90's early 00's when he was a half. They are options, they are just terrible ones.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am sure that Folkes did not wish to get into a debate. It was good of him to reply twice to AJ. Just move on.

Tell him.. email him.. that's crap.

Wahesh

Reaction score
i call Shenanigans, i dont believe folkes or any other coach would discuss business with some random who emails them, secondly it doesnt even sound like Folkes words & the "his effort could not be faulted" is plagerized from his post match comments, Get a life you tool!
How am I some random? I know Steve and that's the only reason I knew his email address AND that's why he responded. He won't reply to randoms.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I've added something in ;)

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that. He struggles to control the team, whether the forwards are making good meters or not. His last tackle options are poor most of the time and if it takes more than 5 weeks, let alone 10 weeks as it has for DJ, for a half-back who is being coached by the great Andrew Johns to find some form then something is very wrong. I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

As you have mentioned, he has had some good matches but even in those matches, he was not great. This may work down the track for him (playing half-back on a regular bases), it may not, but at the moment he is under immense pressure to do a job that he quite clearly has worked hard on with Andrew Johns but also quite clearly he can not excel at as proven in premier league last year and these first 10 weeks.

My suggestion? Michael Sullivan to half-back. Give him 2-3 weeks. If that doesn't work, try Groom. What have we got to lose? We are losing enough as it is with Holdsworth failing at half-back. And hey let's think outside the square a little if that doesn't work by promoting Arana Taumata from NYC who has been very creative and impressive at half-back and off the bench. To put it quite simply - Try new things before we end up walking away with the spoon. This is a re-building year, after all.

I hope we can find a winning team and a successful strategy so we can start stringing some wins together.

Sincerely,
Matthew A
Long time Bulldogs supporter
Haha, no worries. glad to help:grinning:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Omg Its Daniel Holdsworth! Get Off Our Forum!
lolI can assure you, I am not DJ. I've been a member on here since December. And I had a go at DJ before... so if I was DJ, why would I have a go at myself :whacky:

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How am I some random? I know Steve and that's the only reason I knew his email address AND that's why he responded. He won't reply to randoms.
Good reply. I don't doubt you. Other dim wits think that all players and coaches live in a bubble.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it just me or has anyone not seen Sully pass this year?

He is not a halfback. He is a hooker. And everyone lambasted Corey back in the late 90's early 00's when he was a half. They are options, they are just terrible ones.
Sullivan and Corey have been more successful as halfback's than Holdsworth.

So we have 2 options.

1. Keep Holdsworth at half and keep getting smashed.

2. We try one of the other boys and see if we can get a few wins. If it doesnt work out, what have we lost, we are losing anyway.

Personally I dont really like either one, but if I had to pick, option 2 defianately appears more attractive IMO

jasetd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is not a gee-up I assure you. What would I have to achieve from it? Also, if you are lucky enough to have Steve's email address, email him and ask him if he got any emails from me. I'll even screenshot my inbox if you like.
this is a gee up if i've ever seen one....lol

Steve folkes has a media / pr pro and doesn't need to answer emails to average joe (no offence aj)....

And the responses sounded like they were written in a dark room by some little holdsworth lover / stalker.....

As for the content...........Bulldogs forwards were moving forward last year and holdsworth was still terrible.....

if the forwards aren't doing they're job this year, then it's certainly not showing in Ben Roberts game...

what a load of rubbish....good comical value though, i must admit....

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is bullsh*t.
# DJ is NOT a halfback. And he has not played good as a halfback all year. When Roberts was not around on Saturday and it was up to him he didn't provide us with what was needed. Our forwards are getting belted, and no props are putting there hands up. But as a no7, he still is not giving us what we need, regardless of how our props are going.

# Groom has not been in the best form, but he might as well be given a shot, we have seen what DJ provides the team from no7, and IMO its not good enough, and hasn't been good enough all year. Might as well try Groom.

# What is the reason for the persistence with Warburton? I dont see the reason for his selection, I dont see what he is providing. Surely Groom on the bench might be able to provide something

# Finally, I am not and will never question DJs effort. It plain to see he is trying hard, and disappointed when things dont go well. But that still doesn't mean he should be free from criticism and spared from being dropped
folkes contradicted himself thats if he really wrote that reply. after the game folkes said if he was watching the game on tv he would of turned the tv off. thats not what a true fan would do yet the fans are questioning the teams he picks and get frustrated and call for dj's sacking makes us non true supporters. fmd folkes wake up mate and pick a team that the fans wanna see on the field cause if groom played and we lost 50 nil i'd still wanna watch the whole game to see what he has to offer. WE have all seen how holdsworth has played for a while now and it aint up to scratch. in defence to holdsworth though last year he played 3 positions all year, at 5/8th, halfback and also at lock. the guy is prob so confused by folkes using him in so many positions thats its confused him and wrecked any natural game that he might OF possesed. this year its more folkes is the issue than it being holdsworths fault. folkes keeps picking him so its a no brainer where the problem lies

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
By the way for the record I wouldn't mind seeing Groom get a run ahead of Holdsworth (when Benny gets back, and this week, Groom half and DJ 5/8th) as I am fed up with DJ's performances too.

But my point is that surely Folkes isn't changing him for a reason. (And don't say he doesn't make changes) It is because of the lack of alternatives. Clearly Groom isn't pushing for selection in Reserves and his injury wouldn't have helped. And all the others either aren't halfbacks or aren't anywhere near ready for FG. Otherwise Folkes would have made a change.

He dropped DJ pretty much the whole of last year when he was probably playing better. He gave a so called "young player" in Benny Roberts an extended run. So why would he persist with him now? Ask yourself that.

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not biter, just frustrated. I get frustrated when people deny the obvious truth because it threatens them. They lie to themselves and those around them. Folkes is simply in denial, and that will never solve a problem.
Then you need to do your homework. How many times have you seen the NSW team play this season? Go and watch them and tell me who you would bring up.

Groom is not the player he was before he got injured.

If you are going to say how about the u20s, I want you to consider this for a minute: -
Heka was playing very ordinary in first grade and most were saying he should go back to the u20s for more development. Yesterday he absolutely killed it in the u20s against Penrith.

Think about that before saying Barba and Kite should be playing first grade.

The intensity in the u20s in no where near the level in first grade and these guys will be smashed and their development may be set back for god knows how long.

If they need to go up, let them play NSW cup first. The intensity is higher than u20s and is the natural stepping stone.

The coaching team knows a lot more than you or I and given the troops they have they are making the best decisions they can.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody hell mate, how bitter can you get. This type of venomous criticism does no one any good especially the players. If you want to get the anger off your chest go kick a dog or something.

They don't need us to tell them they were flogged and made lots of mistakes, blind freddy can see that. If you don’t want to support a team when they are losing, go and support the Storm they are on a winning streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.