Email from Steve Folkes to myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a load of SH%$#, hard to play 7 when forwards drop the ball ?

no excuses for dropping the ball or hospital passes??

H

Haztrick

AJ, I think you should e-mail back some comments from us to Steve. Here's mine:

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that. He struggles to control the team, whether the forwards are making good meters or not. His last tackle options are poor most of the time and if it takes more than 5 weeks, let alone 10 weeks as it has for DJ, for a half-back who is being coached by the great Andrew Johns to find some form then something is very wrong. I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

As you have mentioned, he has had some good matches but even in those matches, he was not great. This may work down the track for him (playing half-back on a regular bases), it may not, but at the moment he is under immense pressure to do a job that he quite clearly has worked hard on with Andrew Johns but also quite clearly he can not excel at as proven in premier league last year and these first 10 weeks.

I hope we can find a winning team and a successful strategy so we can start stringing some wins together.

Sincerely,
Matthew A
Long time Bulldogs supporter

J

-- Jay --

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that.

I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

As you have mentioned, he has had some good matches but even in those matches, he was not great. This may work down the track for him (playing half-back on a regular bases), it may not, but at the moment he is under immense pressure to do a job that he quite clearly has worked hard on with Andrew Johns but also quite clearly he can not excel at as proven in premier league last year and these first 10 weeks.

I hope we can find a winning team and a successful strategy so we can start stringing some wins together.

Sincerely,
Matthew A
Fatty boom bah

mine also

Steven,

Holdsworth was dropped to premier league and showed nothing in that grade worth warranting him being brought up, he only has been due to shifty being set free. Please explain why he was the first choice halfback when already under performing

Yours faithfully,
Tarja Turrenen

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If this is real it is fantastic to see the true point of view from Folkes that we would never really have access to.

And much of what Folkes said is spot on.

The truth must be, that no matter how bad Holdsworth has been playing, we truly don't have another option besides Groom (who musn't be ready Fitness or Form wise) ,Sullivan (a failed half at Cronulla and Warrington) and Barba (nowhere near ready).

Therefore, as frustrating as it is to see DJ underperform, and Folkes admitting that his form hasn't been impressive, the coaching staff is of the opinion that Groom isn't ready and DJ is there to stay for a while.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that.

I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

Sincerely,
Matthew A

But whats the soloution?

Groom hasnt been playing that great, so who would you go with

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why should we persist with DJ ? i can tell first hand that his own team mates are upset he is getting picked...

im sorry guys.. im real cut throat when you work for someone and you dont perform they dont say ohh well you tried.. thata ok try to meet your asset or revenue target next week .. they say GO TO TRAINING YOU ARE ON PERFORMANCE MANAGMENT ... 2 months latter YOUR GOOONNNNNEEE FIRED

when most players dont perform they get dropped.. why dosnt he get dropped after 8 weeks of next to no highlights?

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who would you try if not Groom? Serious question. I am not having a go at you, but I myself think that we have not recruited / retained well in the halves & front row. Dissapointing as it is.
Michael Sullivan.

B

Ben Godberts.

here is mine

Steve,

Be nicer to kevin he is a good guy
Please make us win games because i dont like losing, say hi to mase for me

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Sadly, Steve, working your butt off and trying does not win matches. Performing does. Holdsworth has not performed and whilst I think he is a good player and a talented 5/8, half-back is not his position and anyone who is anyone can tell you that. He struggles to control the team, whether the forwards are making good meters or not. His last tackle options are poor most of the time and if it takes more than 5 weeks, let alone 10 weeks as it has for DJ, for a half-back who is being coached by the great Andrew Johns to find some form then something is very wrong. I hope he does find some form and becomes a half-back (something I can't see him doing) because it's quite obvious that you will continue to persist with him win or lose as you have done for the last 10 weeks.

Sincerely,
Matthew A
You didn't offer a suggestion Haztrick, you just stated what we all, and probably Folkes already know.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If this is real it is fantastic to see the true point of view from Folkes that we would never really have access to.

The truth must be, that no matter how bad Holdsworth has been playing, we truly don't have another option besides Groom (who musn't be ready Fitness or Form wise) ,Sullivan (a failed half at Cronulla and Warrington) and Barba (nowhere near ready).

Therefore, as frustrating as it is to see DJ underperform, and Folkes admitting that his form hasn't been impressive, the coaching staff is of the opinion that Groom isn't ready and DJ is there to stay for a while.
We have Sullivan and / or Hughes. As if we dont have any other options.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is bullsh*t.
# DJ is NOT a halfback. And he has not played good as a halfback all year. When Roberts was not around on Saturday and it was up to him he didn't provide us with what was needed. Our forwards are getting belted, and no props are putting there hands up. But as a no7, he still is not giving us what we need, regardless of how our props are going.

# Groom has not been in the best form, but he might as well be given a shot, we have seen what DJ provides the team from no7, and IMO its not good enough, and hasn't been good enough all year. Might as well try Groom.

# What is the reason for the persistence with Warburton? I dont see the reason for his selection, I dont see what he is providing. Surely Groom on the bench might be able to provide something

# Finally, I am not and will never question DJs effort. It plain to see he is trying hard, and disappointed when things dont go well. But that still doesn't mean he should be free from criticism and spared from being dropped

# One last point, FOlkes is a premiership winning coach, and deserves respect. But that doesnt mean all his calls have been right. He persisted with Perry when we had Isaac Luke in the reserves waiting for a chance. At thefirst chance Luke had in FG he killed it, and has never looked back. Folkes never gave Luke a shot, and also failed to see the worth of Thurston hence let him go. He also persisted with putting Mason at prop, when Mason is a devastating backrower as proven by how Fittler uses Mason eclusively in the second row, running wider.

# The recruitment retention calls have in a big way been up to Folkes, it has been up to him to keep players that he values and wants to keep here, and we have stuffed up big time in that regard. We couldnt keep them all, but we kept none.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Sullivan did not fail in cronulla or warrington.. he left Cronulla to pay of his debts and he killed it in Warrington..

Premiers04

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with what you have said, and this was the same point that i tried to stress to certain members on saturday night after the loss, who wanted to fight this matter, but now we have heard from Folkes himself, so to those kennel members out there are you guys going to support the team and support the players? or continue to ***** and moan about everything?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Michael Sullivan.
Terrible halfback. Didn't do well as one at Cronulla and failed miserably there at Warrington in a league where many NRL players (Casy McGuire, Luke Dorn, Berrigan ven Jamie Lyon) play in the halves at do very very well even if they are dead ordinary or not genuine halves in Australia. The fact that Sully didn't play well as a halfback in the UK says to me, as well as his performances there at Cronulla, that he can't be considered a halfback at all.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sullivan did not fail in cronulla or warrington.. he left Cronulla to pay of his debts and he killed it in Warrington..
He didn't fail at Cronulla, I know why he left, he was just not a good halfback at all when he played there. And Sully most certainly did not kill it at Warrington. Was shifted from halfbaack to hooker to halfback and was out of the team for a while (for both poor form as a halfback and injury) and ended up having a falling out with the coach while injured.

MAULEM

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You didn't offer a suggestion Haztrick, you just stated what we all, and probably Folkes already know.
here is my suggestion.

DJ to the .. I DONT CARE ANYWHERE BUT FG

ROBERTS 6
SULLY 7
Warboughton or even GROOM of the bench (hooker)
HUGHES 9

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree with what you have said, and this was the same point that i tried to stress to certain members on saturday night after the loss, who wanted to fight this matter, but now we have heard from Folkes himself, so to those kennel members out there are you guys going to support the team and support the players? or continue to ***** and moan about everything?
FFS.. im sick of these little tossers that automatically accuse you of not supporting the team if you dont like something going on. If we didnt support the team then we wouldnt give a sh!t what happens would we.

And as someone who has spend thousands on tickets and merchandise, I feel I am entitled to an opinion, just like everyone else on here.

If you dont like people expressing their views on things then why in gods name are you on a Bulldogs forum.. sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.