Des has had enough with the referees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The referees have been diabolical this weekend in most of the games. What is the video ref thinking in the titans/rabbitohs game? Bad decisions in the raiders/broncos game as well. I think the best way to fix this is that to accept that mistakes will happen, however, allow the coaches 2 'challenges' like they do in the tennis. It won't hold the play up much and fair dinkum, they will only use it when they really believe they have been wronged. Then we can all sleep at night that a craphouse ref decision didn't cost us the match.
that would be awesome. And if a team has had 2 challenges that held up against the same ref on more than 2 occasions, they have the right to request that ref cannot ref their games for the remainder of the season :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Coaches challenges will never happen because:
a) It'll still come down to the referees/video refs opinion, and that is unlikely to change on second look.
b) It'll be used as a tactic to stall opposition and give their side a breather. E.G Ben Barba makes a break and looks to head off down the field for a try *BZZZT* other coach challenges a knock on he claims to have seen. Momentum dies there. Tennis is a perfect example where this is seen.

Janice

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Maybe they can't ask for a challenge until the try has been scored or the next tackle has been completed.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I pissed myself laughing when he said we are in the top 4 hahahahaha

Fark I love him, protecting a very young side so well !!!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are coming first but it's not over yet, the Rabbits are closing in and the top teams are top notch.
Hasler has probably pointed out the refs for good reason, they clearly tried to give the Knights a leg up and should be punished, the players should decide the outcome not a sympathetic ref.

Guardog

You Dirty Dog
Reaction score
Coaches challenges will never happen because:
a) It'll still come down to the referees/video refs opinion, and that is unlikely to change on second look.
b) It'll be used as a tactic to stall opposition and give their side a breather. E.G Ben Barba makes a break and looks to head off down the field for a try *BZZZT* other coach challenges a knock on he claims to have seen. Momentum dies there. Tennis is a perfect example where this is seen.
The Challenge system will be a farce in the end. To fix this problem, I have come up with the following.

1. Only have one on field referee.
2. Video Ref's to be used only on those occasions where the foot or ball has touched the sideline, and on suspect put downs.
3. If the Ref see's something, deal with it right then. He does not have the ability to review the whole play to find a mistake.

This will make the Ref's deal with what they see. Like yesterday, Titans were the victims of ref errors on two occasions, one where they should have scored, and one when Rabbits scored from a knock on.

Ref's will always make mistakes, that is the nature of being human, but let's just get the game flowing and stop these stupid Video Ref Referrals.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Despite his side’s 22-18 win over the Gold Coast Titans, South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire yesterday joined a growing chorus of concern over NRL refereeing.

Oddly, the two most contentious calls of the match, within moments of each other late in the first half, both went the Rabbitohs’ way – one robbing the Titans of a try and the other awarding a try to South Sydney on the ensuing set.

Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler and Manly Sea Eagles coach Geoff Toovey were also critical of NRL officiating over the weekend, voicing concerns about the standard of refereeing, particularly with the finals on the horizon.

Yesterday, Titans coach John Cartwright said the two decisions by video referee Sean Hampstead were “critical” and could have gone either way, but he declined to comment further, citing a mid-week directive from the NRL on criticism of referees.

However, Maguire admitted concern that a dodgy decision could be costly at the sharp end of the season for his team, now in the hunt for a minor premiership after extending its winning streak to six games – the club’s longest since 1994.

“I just hope we’re not sitting here talking about decisions (costing games),” said Maguire, who noted decisions had gone against his side as well yesterday.

“I think coaches over the last few weeks have probably emphasised everything about the refs. Obviously (there’s) some interesting ones out there again (against the Titans). I’ll go through the right channels this week and talk to them about that.

“I just hope it doesn’t hurt us at some stage ... all teams. As coaches, we have to look at performing at our best. When you’ve got decisions against you, in the light of what happened out there today, it can swing games very quickly.”

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...over-titans-20120806-23ohp.html#ixzz22jlIvCFW

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Greg Hartley IMO was the BEST ARL/NRL referee ever to grace our great game. The older kennelers should remember him. A great guy, a great official. Even though he was a self professed Bulldogs man he maintained a professionalism above all other officials and always had the games best interest at heart. He was firm but fair and called the game straight down the line.

With the events of this past weekend still lingering in my thoughts I was fortunate to find this article By Dean (Bulldog) Ritchie dated July 13, 2010.

Former top referee Greg Hartley says today's NRL refs are the worst in 50 years

FIVE-TIME grand final referee Greg Hartley has launched a stinging attack on the current crop of NRL whistleblowers - describing them as "the worst in 50 years".

Tiring of the weekly blunders, Hartley told The Daily Telegraph he fears an upcoming finals game could be decided by a refereeing clanger.

While the NRL continues to publicly support the standard of refereeing, there is general concern right across the game about inconsistent and pedantic penalties deciding the outcome of games between evenly matched teams.

Hartley, who retired in 1982, is the first of his ilk to speak out, saying: "I can't remember the standard being worse in 50 years of watching, playing and refereeing rugby league.

"They just simply aren't up to the standard that is required. They have no feel for the game.

"I fear there will be a mistake that costs a team in the finals. I hope it doesn't happen but I worry it will."

Hartley pointed to Jason Robinson and Brett Suttor as referees he believes are not up to NRL standard.
Hartley's comments come after former Kangaroos coach Bob Fulton delivered a similarly strong spray on the poor performance of referee Shayne Hayne during the Warriors' win over Penrith on Sunday.

The Kiwis won the game but had to do it after being on the wrong end of an 11-3 penalty count. "Shayne Hayne, hang your head in shame. You have produced the worst refereeing performance in the last 20 years," Fulton said in post-match comments on 2GB.

"He is supposed to be the second-best referee in the competition.

"If Robert Finch and Bill Harrigan are doing their job, he has got to be dropped to the under-20s competition."

Hartley's greatest beef is with the short forward-pass from dummy-half and a failure to play the advantage rule.

"There are so many mistakes every weekend," he said.

"I don't want to live in the past but these blokes wouldn't lace Bill Harrigan's boots.

"What about Gary Cook and Jack Danzey. They would make the current blokes look sick. As would Mick Stone, Kevin Roberts, John Gocher.

"I do though think technology has had a lot to do with referees losing confidence."

However, NRL referees coach Robert Finch said he wondered how former referees would cope under the pressure of today's game.

"Greg is entitled to his opinion," he said.

"But I would like to analyse past referees - under the modern-day pressure and with all the cameras - and measure their performances."

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
i f'n love Hollywood - as a side,imo Mick Stone puts all current refs in the shade by a fairly large margin

Status
Not open for further replies.