Dean Pay. What would be the pass mark for 2018?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Make the 8;

Blood permanent new halfback from within to play along with Foran
Some big fri night wins.,im not that fussed by consistency or making the 8. So long as we are on the right path to be coming a great team

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If we don't make the 4 as a minimum with the squad we have then we will be a fail. For goodness sake Des made the GF in his first season and people said he was a fail. There's absolutely no reason with a fresh approach and the quality of player we have that we can't win the premiership. I don't expect us to start the season on fire but we sure as hell should finish it that way.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we don't make the 4 as a minimum with the squad we have then we will be a fail. For goodness sake Des made the GF in his first season and people said he was a fail. There's absolutely no reason with a fresh approach and the quality of player we have that we can't win the premiership. I don't expect us to start the season on fire but we sure as hell should finish it that way.
Sadly I don’t think we’ve got the cattle. We will still struggle with our slow backs and unestablished halfback. But I will be delighted if you’re right and I’m wrong. Foran will certainly straighten up our attack but we will need more.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Make the 8;

Blood permanent new halfback from within to play along with Foran
To be honest, I just hope next year we are consistent and hold our own in the top 8

I don't expect much more than that

I look forward to a year or so beyond that and hope Pay is given enough time to rectify the mess Des had left us in

Chana

Waterboy
Reaction score
All I want to see is players respecting the jersey and bleeding for it. An agrresive never give up style of play. I've switched off the dogs a few years ago because I had seen our current situation coming and have been praying for dean to come in for a while now. He hasn't disappointed with what he has said since being given the job and I just hope the boys buy into it. F... The entertainers I want the dogs of war back baby! I want to see fear in the eyes of our opponents.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Making us scary again. The absolute minimum.

If you believe the hype we will bw moving on older players and relying much more on youth. Young players can be inconstant so results will be up and down in the first year. What I want is for other teams to worry when they play us.

Results will follow.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's our third rebuild in 9 years. Be patient. The team coming last has ambitions to challenge for the premiership but our squad is lacking quality players in the backline. It will take time. 5 years for a title shot is more realistic.
I know times are different now, but in 1978 we lost 9 players to Newtown 1 to Cronulla and 2 retired.
In 1979 with what was left over and without buying not even one first grade player we played the grand final unluckily losing to St George, then won 1980 grand final.
All it would take is for everyone to gel and play with passion and pride...something no money can buy !

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I know times are different now, but in 1978 we lost 9 players to Newtown 1 to Cronulla and 2 retired.
In 1979 with what was left over and without buying not even one first grade player we played the grand final unluckily losing to St George, then won 1980 grand final.
All it would take is for everyone to gel and play with passion and pride...something no money can buy !
Fair point and I think that's what Pay wants. He wants to create a production line of juniors. At the moment the quality of players coming through is substandard and our local juniors have ended up elsewhere and now playing representative football.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
A good start would be to stop talking about pass marks. How about as a club the only goal we have at the start of each season is to win the comp. when we start talking about pass marks we get a situation where all of a sudden scraping into the finals is considered a successful season. Then you get chairmen and CEO's banging on about it as if finishing in the top 50% of the comp is something to brag about. Then you get coaches coaching to reach that "pass mark" and nothing more.

We won't win the comp every year but the moment we lower the bar and aim for anything less is when we really fail

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love this post. Full of hope and anchored in history.

In 1979, When Saints won 17 -13, I cried. 17-2 was the half time score. George Poponis promised the crowd that we’d win next year, the rest is history

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Changed game plan and fucking honesty in the pressers... no more cliche's and fucking lies. Want to be an honest no nonsense hard fucking club again. If we miss the 8 so be it... just want to see us go back to how we once were.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think it's an automatic pass if we win the Auckland 9s! Haha.

Are the 9s even happening next year?

I just want to see good consistent effort to play good, consistent footy which suits the club and our roster's strengths. Top 4 would be lovely, but I think I'd be happy if we make top 8 and show signs of growth.... that would be a pass.

A fresh attitude can do wonders for a team though.... we might go better than most people expect. All I know is, I'm looking forward to footy again next year!

Last edited:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it's an automatic pass if we win the Auckland 9s! Haha.

Are the 9s even happening next year?

I just want to see good consistent effort to play good, consistent footy which suits the club and our roster's strengths. Top 4 would be lovely, but I think I'd be happy if we make top 8 and show signs of growth.... that would be a pass.

A fresh attitude can do wonders for a team though.... we might go better than most people expect. All I know is, I'm looking forward to footy again next year!
No Auckland 9s or Allstars in 2018

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t think we’ve got the cattle. We will still struggle with our slow backs and unestablished halfback. But I will be delighted if you’re right and I’m wrong. Foran will certainly straighten up our attack but we will need more.
If we end up with the same backline as this year plus Foran we have plenty of speed. Mbye and the 2 Morris's can motor, Lee has some ballplaying in him and Hoppa showed a bit of class as well. Still not sure how quick Montoya is but he went OK for his first season. The only question mark is half/5-8 (depending on which one Foran takes) and where Pay plays Mbye. I think the article from Matt Johns the other day on coaching the Storm sums up the difference between them and what Des was doing. Will be interesting to see how Deano adjusts our structures.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not getting me to turn off the tv because we are getting smashed while playing the most boring football in history.

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
An acceptable year for our new coach will be to demonstrate consistency in improvement. By this I mean playing like we played our last 3 games this year. It is also essential that we have a kicking game.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we end up with the same backline as this year plus Foran we have plenty of speed. Mbye and the 2 Morris's can motor, Lee has some ballplaying in him and Hoppa showed a bit of class as well. Still not sure how quick Montoya is but he went OK for his first season. The only question mark is half/5-8 (depending on which one Foran takes) and where Pay plays Mbye. I think the article from Matt Johns the other day on coaching the Storm sums up the difference between them and what Des was doing. Will be interesting to see how Deano adjusts our structures.
If it’s convenient, can you post a link to that article. Deano’s worked under those structures, so I would hope something will rub off. He has already mentioned line speed, which is an essential improvement on this year. So,at least, he’s saying the right things.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really feel like it will be a year like 2009, just enough new players and game plan to make us unpredictable to win a lot of early games but proabably get found out by the better teams later. This is fine it just depends how we grow and adapt after the following few years. That’s what separates the good teams from the bad I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.