Cricket 2023/24 Thread

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
For who?

Carey hasn’t been too bad of late. Yes he was playing a lot better up until the Ashes but hadn’t been playing as well since but has shown clear signs of returning to something near his best.

J Inglis is NOT a Test Wicketkeeper or player for that matter. He was lucky IMO to be selected for the World Cup and had some good moments but overall he’s nowhere near what Carey has done in Tests and the ODI format. He’s a 20/20 player at best, but is fortunate enough to have been selected in a class team.

PS. Never a fan of players chewing gum when playing. A sure sign they think they’re better then they actually are. Maybe one exception in the late Dean Jones.
Yeah. Viv Richards was really shit. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thunder fans should get a refund for what they got this season.

Hales hasn’t been great but has shown glimpses of form lately. Doubt Warner will play next season after competing in the IPL and then the 20/20 World Cup in the Caribbean and US.

Gilkes and Tanveer are very ordinary and need to be moved on. Sams needs to retire, Bancroft can be moved on when his contract is up. Ollie Davies has been a huge disappointment after promising so much early in his career. Alex Ross is hot and cold, more cold then hot of late.

Wholesale changes are desperately needed for the Thunder next season.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. Viv Richards was really shit. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Talking Australian players, smart arse!

Viv was the master and while he had that air of arrogance he was entitled as he backed that up in all aspects of the game.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Talking Australian players, smart arse!

Viv was the master and while he had that air of arrogance he was entitled as he backed that up in all aspects of the game.
Oh Australian players.

You mean like Ponting, Mark Taylor, Finchie and even Mike Hussey used to blow bubble gum while he was batting. Maybe we add Marnus and Haydos as well. And I'm not even trying.

Cannot script this stuff. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Australian players.

You mean like Ponting, Mark Taylor, Finchie and even Mike Hussey used to blow bubble gum while he was batting. Maybe we add Marnus and Haydos as well. And I'm not even trying.

Cannot script this stuff. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
As you said Mr Cricket the only one whole batting and he was called that for a reason, but didn’t do every time he played.

Punter and Tubbs never did it while batting only when fielding in slips.

Finch is a classic example of one who thought he was a lot better than he actually was, should’ve retired years ago. Was never a Test player but must’ve known someone to have been kept in the squad. Just have a look at how the Renegades have gone in recent years.

Inglis comes across as his heir apparent. Handy 20/20 player but anyone saying he’s preferred over Carey is laughable.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
As you said Mr Cricket the only one whole batting and he was called that for a reason, but didn’t do every time he played.

Punter and Tubbs never did it while batting only when fielding in slips.

Finch is a classic example of one who thought he was a lot better than he actually was, should’ve retired years ago. Was never a Test player but must’ve known someone to have been kept in the squad. Just have a look at how the Renegades have gone in recent years.

Inglis comes across as his heir apparent. Handy 20/20 player but anyone saying he’s preferred over Carey is laughable.
Oh. So first it was Aussie players only and now its every time they played? Punter and tubbs ate the shit whenever they were out there. Haydos did as well and Marnus even spat it once onto the pitch and pulled the 3 second rule.

Finch held the one day world record at one point and was the guy in that format for a while. Guess you're going to say test players only now.

Just stop.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh. So first it was Aussie players only and now its every time they played? Punter and tubbs ate the shit whenever they were out there. Haydos did as well and Marnus even spat it once onto the pitch and pulled the 3 second rule.

Finch held the one day world record at one point and was the guy in that format for a while. Guess you're going to say test players only now.

Just stop.
"Just Stop".

I will if you do!

Oh, I forgot this must be your full-time job as a troll on a cricket thread on a Bulldogs Forum site!

Come back after a couple of years and you still haven't had a break from posting every hour on the hour.

How friggin' sad!

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s what I posted earlier..why weaken a strength? It is the perfect opposition to get a ‘new’ opener to gain confidence. I can see Smith getting a big score, but it’s only against the West Indies so it will give a false impression. And @Doogie is right Green should only come in if he is good enough to dislodge Marsh. In saying that im sure in the future Green will become invaluable to the Australian cricket.
Digressing slightly.

One of the main reasons Saints won 11 competitions in a row from 1956 to 1966, was that they never weakened a strength to strengthen a weakness.

They built from the bottom upwards and had good succession plans so that when a player was going to retire a ready made replacement was waiting in the wings.

It looks to me like there are not many players in Shield Cricket, particularly batters knocking the door down for selection and the one that is in Bancroft didn’t get a guernse.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
"Just Stop".

I will if you do!

Oh, I forgot this must be your full-time job as a troll on a cricket thread on a Bulldogs Forum site!

Come back after a couple of years and you still haven't had a break from posting every hour on the hour.

How friggin' sad!
Troll eh? See that report button. Press that, tell the mods he's trolling and then tell them he's trolling me because he keeps proving my opinions are ass. The kind of ass that becomes a meme because it has flies on it.

Lolz....

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Digressing slightly.

One of the main reasons Saints won 11 competitions in a row from 1956 to 1966, was that they never weakened a strength to strengthen a weakness.

They built from the bottom upwards and had good succession plans so that when a player was going to retire a ready made replacement was waiting in the wings.

It looks to me like there are not many players in Shield Cricket, particularly batters knocking the door down for selection and the one that is in Bancroft didn’t get a guernse.
Agree. I think sometimes you just got to take a chance. I feel too, playing the Windies is a chance is to build confidence in the next opener as they aren’t the most fearsome opposition that they used to b.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. I think sometimes you just got to take a chance. I feel too, playing the Windies is a chance is to build confidence in the next opener as they aren’t the most fearsome opposition that they used to b.
Correct mate. The team will get found out eventually. I think when our main bowlers are gone we have enough strength to replace them adequately it not quite equally. It’s the batting that concerns me. These days. Lot of potential test players don’t have the right technique.

A perfect example of this is players getting bowled after hitting the inside edge, because their front foot either hasn’t moved or it has gone straight down the wicket. This is because front foot near the ball allegedly reduces power in the shot.

I believe this is a by product of too much short form cricket.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Correct mate. The team will get found out eventually. I think when our main bowlers are gone we have enough strength to replace them adequately it not quite equally. It’s the batting that concerns me. These days. Lot of potential test players don’t have the right technique.

A perfect example of this is players getting bowled after hitting the inside edge, because their front foot either hasn’t moved or it has gone straight down the wicket. This is because front foot near the ball allegedly reduces power in the shot.

I believe this is a by product of too much short form cricket.
Don't get me started. Coaching kids who all aspired to be Warner did my head in. Now we have Head.

Why can't we have videos of Mike Hussey if your LH'd for instruction? Sigh....

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't get me started. Coaching kids who all aspired to be Warner did my head in. Now we have Head.

Why can't we have videos of Mike Hussey if your LH'd for instruction? Sigh....
Most of the kids I coached were in teams from under 10 to under 12. I drummed the basics into them. Forward and back defence to then expand into the drive. Cut and pull shots etc. Modern coaching would do my head in too with them wanting to learn reverse sweeps and tonking over cow corner.

I had an unusual method taught to me in the level 1 coaching course by Peter Phillpott. In the nets I put a garbage tin level with the batsman and outside the leg stump. If the batsman stepped backwards to leg he would end up sitting on it. They soon learnt how to cover their off stump.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s a bowler in the bbl who’s action annoys me more than this hatzoglou bloke. Rips it from hand to hand 10+ before he bowls like he’s warnie…doesn’t turn it an inch and gets carted lol