Cricket 2023/24 Thread

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So - just going to put this out there. Nothing against Renshaw and tbf - actually felt he was a little hard done by a few years ago. Definitely rate him better than Harris. However...

If @Bazildog I mean George Bailey was serious about Renshaw banging on the door, how come he didn't get a CA central contract. In 2022 his contract was upgraded yet in April 23 it was axed. And Harris is still centrally contracted.

And since April, Renshaw has averaged about 30.

The whole thing is a scam.
Hard to disagree with you Doogie.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
So heres the problem George. First rules of opening. You need to be able to leave it well (and think Smith is ok in this regard) but you also need to be able to handle the short stuff. Oops. Its Travis Head 2.0. Wood is going to kill him.

So not only have you reduced the capability of the middle order, you've sent one on a suicide mission.

Should have been Bancroft. Gives u left right at the top which is always good. Get Renshaw in the squad to eventually replace Uzzy. Green doesn't play unless he can dislodge Marsh and tbf - reckon Hardie (1 year older) is better.

See our young middle order against the windies (well young except for Handscomb)? 13, 9, 3 and 8. The only place we have decent bats outside of the Oz team atm is openers. And you've just moved one of our mids to a position we could have replaced and it would be justified based on runs.

Thought keeping Warner in the team was bad. I'd go as far to say this is the stupidest cricket decision I've heard of since Lawry was dropped. And Lawry being dropped was a 100% problem behind the scenes. This one is probably the same.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So heres the problem George. First rules of opening. You need to be able to leave it well (and think Smith is ok in this regard) but you also need to be able to handle the short stuff. Oops. Its Travis Head 2.0. Wood is going to kill him.

So not only have you reduced the capability of the middle order, you've sent one on a suicide mission.

Should have been Bancroft. Gives u left right at the top which is always good. Get Renshaw in the squad to eventually replace Uzzy. Green doesn't play unless he can dislodge Marsh and tbf - reckon Hardie (1 year older) is better.

See our young middle order against the windies (well young except for Handscomb)? 13, 9, 3 and 8. The only place we have decent bats outside of the Oz team atm is openers. And you've just moved one of our mids to a position we could have replaced and it would be justified based on runs.

Thought keeping Warner in the team was bad. I'd go as far to say this is the stupidest cricket decision I've heard of since Lawry was dropped. And Lawry being dropped was a 100% problem behind the scenes. This one is probably the same.
It’s truly baffling, they are weakening the strongest position in the team to bring in Green. If every opener was averaging 28 in shield I’d consider it but it’s one of the dumbest decisions you will ever see

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s truly baffling, they are weakening the strongest position in the team to bring in Green. If every opener was averaging 28 in shield I’d consider it but it’s one of the dumbest decisions you will ever see
That’s what I posted earlier..why weaken a strength? It is the perfect opposition to get a ‘new’ opener to gain confidence. I can see Smith getting a big score, but it’s only against the West Indies so it will give a false impression. And @Doogie is right Green should only come in if he is good enough to dislodge Marsh. In saying that im sure in the future Green will become invaluable to the Australian cricket.

Last edited:

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s what I posted earlier..why weaken a strength? It is the perfect opposition to get a ‘new’ opener to gain confidence. I can see Smith getting a big score, but it’s only against the West Indies so it will give a false impression. And @Doogie is right Green should only come in if he is good enough to dislodge Marsh. In saying that im sure in the future Green will become invaluable to the Australian cricket.
doesnt Green average 64 when batting at 4 in Sheffield shield?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Well from what i can tell is he's batted there twice. Got 96 in a shield game where Cartwright came in after him and got 130 odd. Only batted once. And the pm11 game where he got 46. That game never got past the first innings on either team.

Hard to find 1st class stats these days though.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith averages after 111 innings 61.51 at Test level batting at 4. That’s my whole point. They are moving a strength to plug a position that he has never played before at Test level. I just don’t get that.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smith averages after 111 innings 61.51 at Test level batting at 4. That’s my whole point. They are moving a strength to plug a position that he has never played before at Test level. I just don’t get that.
let's just see how it goes against the windies, if it fails im sure they'll have a plan b for the nz tests in nz

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Isnt it better at 3? Thought i read that

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Isnt it better at 3? Thought i read that
Yep for sure. It is 67.08 after 29 innings. However at 4 it, as I posted earlier is 67.08 in 111 innings. A record attained over a long sustained period. Just think a move to opener weakens a proven performer in the 4th spot. To me it doesn’t make sense, when it’s a chance to get in a more long term prospect against a weaker opposition to increase their confidence.

Anyway, as @chemdog said we can only wait and see if it works.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep for sure. It is 67.08 after 29 innings. However at 4 it, as I posted earlier is 67.08 in 111 innings. A record attained over a long sustained period. Just think a move to opener weakens a proven performer in the 4th spot. To me it doesn’t make sense, when it’s a chance to get in a more long term prospect against a weaker opposition to increase their confidence.

Anyway, as @chemdog said we can only wait and see if it works.
even than Kahwaja is 37 and probs has another year left in him before retiring so now would be the ideal time to be giving a proper opener a chance

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
even than Kahwaja is 37 and probs has another year left in him before retiring so now would be the ideal time to be giving a proper opener a chance
100%

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Warner is on the news showing how he flew in by chopper to the SCG. Arms up celebrating to the crowd.

Shame that was 2 and a half hours ago and no one was there.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
If BBL is any guide.

Smith is an awesome opener lolz...