Votes: 10 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Omicron variant is the exact reason vaccines should have been shared..particularly with less developed nations.. not hoarded up by countries who could afford it.. We are talking about booster shots and they haven’t even had their first shots.. Regardless of this, just from a humanitarian point view, these countries should have been assisted by developed nations.. Things like this affect us all..we are all in it together..the virus doesn’t take notice of borders..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The Omicron variant is the exact reason vaccines should have been shared..particularly with less developed nations.. not hoarded up by countries who could afford it.. We are talking about booster shots and they haven’t even had their first shots.. Regardless of this, just from a humanitarian point view, these countries should have been assisted by developed nations.. Things like this affect us all..we are all in it together..the virus doesn’t take notice of borders..
Nobody gives a fuck about Africa my bro, ESPECIALLY big pharma who don't even value them as humans but just guinea pigs.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where do they pull these variant names from? It’s like police strike force names or Hurricane names I feel they are taking the piss a bit just call it Covid 3
It was meant to be called something else , but apparently it sounded like chinas boss ,and they didnt want to cause offence , even viruses get the cancel culture

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Where do they pull these variant names from? It’s like police strike force names or Hurricane names I feel they are taking the piss a bit just call it Covid 3
Some letters were for variants that came along and died quickly, and other letters were skipped entirely - for example one is pronounced "nu/new" and so it was thought people would called it the new covid or something (perhaps a Greek can confirm this). There was also one called "xi"? or something similar, so @south of heaven might be right on that one.

Not sure what they do when they run out of letters. I was disappointed Lambda never got much of a run.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know you have mate and I do see your point but variants will show up for decades so we needed to draw a line in the sand and get on with life. Delta didn’t come in via a tourist either so they’ll all get in some way unless we are willing to live off our own resources and not import anything at all
I agree that we have to get on with it and there will always be variants. I just don't trust the quarantine process with returning travellers and think that needs to be much stricter and more supervised than the honour system they have in place.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Id give it a week or so and see what nsw health releases
Until then we are going to have 10 articles a day of assumptions that will drive you mad
That's why I watch and read the news as little as possible to avoid the hysteria and scare mongering tactics the media love so much.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's why I watch and read the news as little as possible to avoid the hysteria and scare mongering tactics the media love so much.
Yep all it it is the same virus unless its a super mutant which melts your face in 24hrs and makes you shit your pants i have no interest in articles about it .

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still more research needed but the early updates from South Africa suggest that while it's a lot more contagious, it may be less deadly with most cases showing only mild symptoms.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still more research needed but the early updates from South Africa suggest that while it's a lot more contagious, it may be less deadly with most cases showing only mild symptoms.
Being more contagious but less deadly would be a good thing i'm guessing? Gets it around and helps to continue to build herd immunity.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Being more contagious but less deadly would be a good thing i'm guessing? Gets it around and helps to continue to build herd immunity.
Yep. That's generally how viruses like this subside. For example, the Spanish Flu is still around. But a weaker mutated strain spread around which built up immunity and killed off the weaker strain. Now it's a seasonal flu.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Nick Coatsworth just said Omnibus :grinning: could be a good thing... to swamp out Delta if it proves more virulent yet shows less symptoms of fatigue etc and only lasts a few days in people?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree that we have to get on with it and there will always be variants. I just don't trust the quarantine process with returning travellers and think that needs to be much stricter and more supervised than the honour system they have in place.
How long do you do that though and who pays for it? They are the main issues

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How long do you do that though and who pays for it? They are the main issues
Two weeks I'd say or until you get two negative tests.. It's a good question as to who pays.. What's the set up for hotel quarantines? Do the travellers pay?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Two weeks I'd say or until you get two negative tests.. It's a good question as to who pays.. What's the set up for hotel quarantines? Do the travellers pay?
I meant how long do we keep quarantining Australians who are returning home from work or travel? There could be variants for decades. Yep before the system ended travelers were paying and it’s not cheap.

The latest information is that this variant is very mild and it would actually be a good thing if it became the dominant strain over delta

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I meant how long do we keep quarantining Australians who are returning home from work or travel? There could be variants for decades. Yep before the system ended travelers were paying and it’s not cheap.

The latest information is that this variant is very mild and it would actually be a good thing if it became the dominant strain over delta
Yeah I don't know.. It can't go on forever.. I'd imagine it would cost a fortune for those quarantine stays in hotels.. As you say, eventually they have to get rid of quarantining but you'd think it will remain for another year or so until more is known about the variants and more people have had boosters etc.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know.. It can't go on forever.. I'd imagine it would cost a fortune for those quarantine stays in hotels.. As you say, eventually they have to get rid of quarantining but you'd think it will remain for another year or so until more is known about the variants and more people have had boosters etc.
Rather be cautious until we know more and thankfully health and pollies seem to have learnt from past experience.

There's no easy, cheap answer but, as an alterative, 4 month lockdowns aren't cheap either on business or employees, if new variants prove less manageable.

We don't know that much at this stage so the approach seems about right...although some epideamiologists interviewed have already said Vic and NSW 72 hour guarantine is more than likely not long enough to assess transmissibility.

We're in their hands so we can only do, what we can do ...that they have been recommending from near the beginning.

Steady as she goes till more info.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Agree in principal of course.
A big problem with good chunks of Africa has always been education - getting people to understand why certain outcomes are important just as much as in some cases modifying behaviour is important. One example was AIDS. There were endless dumps of condoms and education programs on what they are, how to use them and why they’re important in helping stop spreading STI’s in communities rife with them. It wasn’t always successful. Covid could be similar in terms of stopping spread and getting vaxxed. And then there’s the corruption aspect the deal with. Not an easy problem to solve and they always seem to cop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.