News Canterbury Bulldogs confirm big opportunity for former Hull FC halfback but it’ll be tough for former Wests Tigers star

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
neither is Flanagan. I'm 99% sure he'd offer more than Flanagan when on the field.
Hmm at Halfback you need someone with a good head on their shoulders and someone not likely to panic flap or have a brain explosion. Unless JR has had a brain transplant since he left the dogs this is one area that even Flanno has it over him. Running sideways and brain explosions are the two things that I remember about his time at the dogs. Having him around training and helping some of the young guys and maybe a utility role maybe in his wheelhouse but I cannot see a controlling HB at all.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JR :hearteyes: :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

Bring him back to first grade. He is the 14 we need. Hell, I'd even move to lock for him. We need his experience. He absolutely needs to be in the team somewhere come Round 1.

Let's go, baby!
A brotherly advise Gun, I've said it before the best thing that could happen to you is moving to the Old Dart that's England in the UK, you could improve your skills build some confidence, you never know even grow some macadamia nuts, I hear it help make you run at the defence :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
Couple of years later you can come back and take over from JR :tonguewink:

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Reynolds is a better option at halfback then Flamingo ever will be
Nonsense, JR has made it blatantly obvious in the last 3 years that he’s not capable of playing football anymore. He should be at the Tigers trying to help out since he took all their money for no return.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Or.. The club is keeping it's options open to either promote someone else from a train and trial deal to a top 30 contract or look to sign someone else if anyone decent becomes available.

The media love this Josh Reynolds story, no matter how unlikely it is he plays FG for us.
There's a train every 15 minutes going past Belmore Sports Ground. Josh can always catch one if he fails the trials.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If reynolds can come back and play some good footy to lock down our halfback position, we'll be much better off then if we run with flange.
We should all be hoping for this outcome rather then death riding him!
Reynolds is a chaotic player that will have the team running around in a chaotic state. At no point should he be our game controlling half back. Happy for him to get a chance off the bench only.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reynolds is a chaotic player that will have the team running around in a chaotic state. At no point should he be our game controlling half back. Happy for him to get a chance off the bench only.
His chaos worked in Origin.
If you had to decide between Flanagan and Reynolds for Origin 2024, who would you pick?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His chaos worked in Origin.
If you had to decide between Flanagan and Reynolds for Origin 2024, who would you pick?
He's off the cuff which worked then with talented and experienced players around him, but Hodgkinson was still at 7 managing the game which allowed for the chaos. He can't be our game managing half.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good chance he has matured over the years, and will be capable of playing a more structured selfless role given good coaching from ciraldo.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good chance he has matured over the years, and will be capable of playing a more structured selfless role given good coaching from ciraldo.
Would like to hope that has happened but he didn't get much game time with the Tigers and I got the impression both parties were happy to call it quits with Hull. Anyway time will tell.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would like to hope that has happened but he didn't get much game time with the Tigers and I got the impression both parties were happy to call it quits with Hull. Anyway time will tell.
Agreed. But it would be a good outcome if it eventuates.

dogon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's off the cuff which worked then with talented and experienced players around him, but Hodgkinson was still at 7 managing the game which allowed for the chaos. He can't be our game managing half.
You are so right, in one State game Reynolds made up his mind to pass but he had no support but passed it anyway to nobody, he was/is cringeworthy at times but can't fault his passion. PS up the mighty Mo

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah time will tell. He knows what it takes to get to two grand finals, experience is needed around the team. Has voice on the field, some mongrel, and support play on the field, can do a job. Provides options to even allow Burton to play the NSW centre and kicker roll, keep the defence questioning.