News Burtons view of the shape of planet Earth.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's truly a fascinating topic and can see why some find it difficult to comprehend the concept of gravity. For example, two people standing on opposite poles of the earth would appear inverted from a cosmic view.

I'm religious but I guess the concept of rising up to heaven confuses people. We generally think of hell being south of heaven. If someone rose up to heaven from the north pole, they would be going in the opposite direction of someone rising up from the south pole......which raises the question, which way is hell ?

I guess we just need to just use the stars as our point of reference, our ancestors figured that out ages ago.
South of Heaven is a pretty funny dude. Bit unjustified calling him hell Moe.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The great Napoleon had this to say about (organized) religion:

“I don’t see in religion evidence of the mystery of the incarnation, but rather the mystery of social order. Religion associates heaven with an idea of equality that keeps the rich from being massacred by the poor.”

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The great Napoleon had this to say about (organized) religion:

“I don’t see in religion evidence of the mystery of the incarnation, but rather the mystery of social order. Religion associates heaven with an idea of equality that keeps the rich from being massacred by the poor.”
I love my faith but have no time for any organised, man made religions.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lol I didn't even realize that. Btw where is that guy? Haven't seen him post in ages..
Knowning Southy my brother, he is either working on a roof bare foot or having a seafood feed and a few quiet beverages near the water.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Anyways, I think the centre misheard the question and was commenting on his attack....flat.
No idea if this is true or not but apparently a lot of American sportspeople (who fly everywhere ffs) are on the flat bandwagon. Part of the 'conspiracy' is that the flat earth groups push their stuff at sportspeople via socials. With the idea they'll spread the message. Guess its not like a scientist to slide into your DMs to tell you what he reckons you should already know.

If true, its very clever. Telling the dumbest but most popular part of society and get them onboard. Brilliant.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
No idea if this is true or not but apparently a lot of American sportspeople (who fly everywhere ffs) are on the flat bandwagon. Part of the 'conspiracy' is that the flat earth groups push their stuff at sportspeople via socials. With the idea they'll spread the message. Guess its not like a scientist to slide into your DMs to tell you what he reckons you should already know.

If true, its very clever. Telling the dumbest but most popular part of society and get them onboard. Brilliant.
Shaq told me da world iz flat so it's flat, yo! Lol

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I allowed 9 either side for the centres and wingers
This discussion brought up a memory from somewhere in the back of my brain. I'm sure I remember Peter Mortimer on the wing, receiving the ball and running down the field. Except that he was outside the touchline when he received the ball. I think it was at the old Cumberland Oval.
Does anyone else remember this or am I losing it (more than I thought)?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I haven't read the article so I might be going up the wrong tree..
You mention religious
Is flat earth theory a religious thing
Yes. Based on the literal translation of Genesis, Earth is supposed to be surrounded by a dome - like those little snowdome things in souvenir shops - and the Bible mentions "the four pillars of the earth" which people interpret as the four corners of the earth, and a globe can't have corners.

People who take the Bible literally, will not accept any evidence to the contrary. You will usually find that most flat earthers are religious.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that those writing off Burton's response haven't bothered to think it through.
I can understand his double answer from the view of perspective. For millennia it was believed the earth was flat because it's impossible to see the curvature. Now it's pretty obvious to everyone who isn't into conspiracy, whatever their motivation, that the earth is spherical. So from the perspective of a human standing on the surface of the earth it's flat. But from a scientific perspective it's a sphere. So in actual fact his reply makes perfect sense and therefore he'll be a wonderful 6.
Two thousand years ago, the Greek, Eratosthenes calculated the circumference of the earth to within a few hundred kilometres of what we know today. People have know the earth is a globe for millennia.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This discussion brought up a memory from somewhere in the back of my brain. I'm sure I remember Peter Mortimer on the wing, receiving the ball and running down the field. Except that he was outside the touchline when he received the ball. I think it was at the old Cumberland Oval.
Does anyone else remember this or am I losing it (more than I thought)?
I remember Chicka Norton doing that to score a winning try for Newtown against us at Henson Park. The touch judge was looking at the defence, not the man with the ball. I was right in line and clearly saw both feet the other side of the touch line. No replays back then.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. Based on the literal translation of Genesis, Earth is supposed to be surrounded by a dome - like those little snowdome things in souvenir shops - and the Bible mentions "the four pillars of the earth" which people interpret as the four corners of the earth, and a globe can't have corners.

People who take the Bible literally, will not accept any evidence to the contrary. You will usually find that most flat earthers are religious.
yeah, wow. I never knew that, thanks for the insight.
do you think thats tge case with Burto, im hoping thats the case and he isnt just plain stupid.
id much rather he think that way because he of blind faith than just stupudity.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, wow. I never knew that, thanks for the insight.
do you think thats tge case with Burto, im hoping thats the case and he isnt just plain stupid.
id much rather he think that way because he of blind faith than just stupudity.
I can't say. I'd have to talk with him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
See my reply, above.

This might explain what you are asking, but in the end it is up to interpretation, and some people interpret the meaning to "earth is flat" from their reading of the Bible.
Does the Bible teach that the earth is flat? | GotQuestions.org
Well that "interpretation" is wrong and the Bible never mentions a flat earth.

From your own source...

The truth is, the Bible does not comment on the shape of Planet Earth. It does not say that the earth is flat, and it does not say that it is spherical. Let’s take a closer look at some of the commonly cited passages that supposedly depict a flat earth:
I don't care what the shape of the Earth is tbh, if it was such an important issue, it would of been mentioned.

Last edited: