News Bulldogs set to make call on coach Dean Pay’s future

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay is not a puppet, he simply has very little to no say in player recruitment, team selection & even training sessions. Admirable how he keeps turning up day to day under these circumstances.
How does he not have any say in team selections? Please explain cause it sounds like a load of shit, and who runs training sessions, Lynne?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You've said yourself before that you don't want any of them as coach... So I don't know why you personally want to wait another year for four coaches you have little to no interest in.
No, there’s only 2 I don’t want: Bennett or Flanagan.

Holbrook might be good if he improves the Titans over the next 12 months - I just don’t think he’s set things on fire so far. And I have no reason to not want Fitzgibbon - I’m just not sure if he’d come - of it was a choice between us and the Steelers I think he’d choose them.

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Could be just the start of the speculation Brent Read was saying on Triple M tonight that the Dogs are thinking about re-signing Pay for a year because they prefer the off contract coaches at the end of 21.
Fark I hope not.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heard that lol, but also said it’s highly likely we will go in another direction next season
I think it would be a terrible idea to keep pay another season, it simply cannot happen
Your not on the Board. It would be fair to Pay to extend him for 1 more year out of the respect that the playing group, under immense pressure for an inexperienced side have afforded Pay. We will be securing some more marque players for next year, Mark my words.
Have you not heard Bellamy say that in his opinion Pay is doing ok?
1 more year for Pay to prove himself. To be confirmed after we smack the Broncos.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Deano won’t be sacked, he’ll see out his current contract & simply won’t be renewed or renegotiated.
As I thought, hopefully they can get their shit sorted and actually sign the right coach..

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I guess that's why the media has gone easy on pay, they know who really calls the shots at belmore.
Pay would have told his best mate ricky, ricky would have told his best mate Paul kent, then spread like wildfire to all the journos...quite embarrassing actually for our hierarchy
What a bunch of shit and if true Pay has no nuts.
Pick your own team Pay and play your own style and coach the way you want if they sack you for that go public with the truth . Some people and the BS they go on with on here is embarrassing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Okay so now none of this is Pay's fault because he doesn't even get to pick the team? This is hilarious shit now.... Where do people come up with this shit and why make up such nonsense to defend a horrible coach?

It's like saying Jeffrey Epstein only had sex with those underage girls and shared them with all of his rich friends because his girlfriend told him to. None of it was actually his fault. Someone else made him put his dick in 16 year old girls.

Malla

Reaction score
Only reason why they are holding off would be that they want to secure a coach for next season first? I would struggle to believe that they would be giving Pay time to prove himself - he has shown enough in the last year (6 weeks alone) that he isn't capable as a first grade coach. I do not want to hear excuses about the roster either, we have an average team - but no where near as bad as whats been put out on the field.

Cotric would be awesome but again, we need play makers in key positions as a priority otherwise having good forwards and backs is pointless.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only reason why they are holding off would be that they want to secure a coach for next season first? I would struggle to believe that they would be giving Pay time to prove himself - he has shown enough in the last year (6 weeks alone) that he isn't capable as a first grade coach. I do not want to hear excuses about the roster either, we have an average team - but no where near as bad as whats been put out on the field.

Cotric would be awesome but again, we need play makers in key positions as a priority otherwise having good forwards and backs is pointless.
You would hope so but then again it could simply be indecisiveness - they are too scared to make a decision or they really really really want to resign him (out of "loyalty") so they are giving him every chance to go on a 1 game winning streak before they announce it
The fact that its dragging on this long is ridiculous. Make a decision and get it over with.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not on the Board. It would be fair to Pay to extend him for 1 more year out of the respect that the playing group, under immense pressure for an inexperienced side have afforded Pay. We will be securing some more marque players for next year, Mark my words.
Have you not heard Bellamy say that in his opinion Pay is doing ok?
1 more year for Pay to prove himself. To be confirmed after we smack the Broncos.
LOL at giving pay 1 more year. Yeah, lets just reward mediocrity since its embedded in our DNA now. Didn't you say a couple months ago that he board was close to giving him a 2 year extension? What happened to that?
Wow, Bellamy said his friend is doing OK. Well if his friend said that, let's give him a 5 year deal. I don't know about you, but even when I fuck up, my friends usually support me because that what friends do. Do you honestly expect Bellamy to come out and publicly criticize his friend?
No doubt we will be getting marquee players, but if Pay is coach how much extra "overs" will we have to pay for them (that's a rhetorical question but I'm pretty sure bradyk will chime in with a response)?

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Seriously we have the worst roster in the NRL. But we aint doing stuff like the Cowboys who just seem to give up. Pay is doing wonders with what we have. Give him a few more first grade guys, and you will see the game plan change a lot.

That and we really need to fix that 9, hope Wakeham comes on in leaps and bounds this year, and find someone who can fill that fullback spot (whether that's Averillo or look elsewhere). Once the spine is fixed, things will be different.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL at giving pay 1 more year. Yeah, lets just reward mediocrity since its embedded in our DNA now. Didn't you say a couple months ago that he board was close to giving him a 2 year extension? What happened to that?
Wow, Bellamy said his friend is doing OK. Well if his friend said that, let's give him a 5 year deal. I don't know about you, but even when I fuck up, my friends usually support me because that what friends do. Do you honestly expect Bellamy to come out and publicly criticize his friend?
No doubt we will be getting marquee players, but if Pay is coach how much extra "overs" will we have to pay for them (that's a rhetorical question but I'm pretty sure bradyk will chime in with a response)?
He could just say nothing, but he chose not to, perhaps the reason is he actually believes what he says. Sorry, I know that challenges your biases, but maybe it's true.

Go Dogs

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He could just say nothing, but he chose not to, perhaps the reason is he actually believes what he says. Sorry, I know that challenges your biases, but maybe it's true.

Go Dogs
Or maybe saying nothing is akin to not backing him so he felt he had to say something. Who the hell knows but I wouldn't take a public comment of "Pay's doing OK" from Bellamy as validation to give Pay another year. I think Bellamy was just being nice because he's trying to support a friend.
Yep, I'm biased against shit coaches who are destroying our club and proud of it. If the next coach is a dud I'll be biased against him too.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My money is on them somehow re-signing Pay. I don't think they have the balls to let him go. Even if he totally deserves to be..

If Cotric wants a five year deal then he can fuck right off. A five year deal for a winger/centre is absurd.
It could be like the Hasler scenario... Beat a shitty Broncos side and gets an extension that isn't deserved. History could be about to repeat itself, which equates to a longer rebuild

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
It could be like the Base scenario... Beat a shitty Broncos side and gets an extension that isn't deserved. History could be about to repeat itself, which equates to a longer rebuild
Or maybe the club can give him some half decent players to work with.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Or maybe the club can give him some half decent players to work with.
Fully fit we have half decent players... Systems are just putrid, we shouldn't be last.