News Bulldogs set to make call on coach Dean Pay’s future

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Next week looms as one of the most vital in Canterbury’s history as the club moves to sort out coach Dean Pay’s future and ramp up their pursuit of some marquee players for next season.

Next week looms as one of the most vital in Canterbury’s history.

A decision on coach Dean Pay’s future is expected to be made as early as next week as the Bulldogs look for some stability amid the ongoing uncertainty surrounding their head coach. Pay’s contract ends at the end of the year and with just one win to start the year the pressure is mounting even if their roster is inferior.

There is plenty of pressure building off the field too for the Bulldogs who are desperate to add some marquee players to their squad.

The club is also in discussions with a handful of companies regarding a major sponsor.

The Bulldogs are the only team without a front of jersey sponsor and want to have an outcome either way next week.

Canterbury are also hoping to get an answer from Canberra star Nick Cotric next week. Cotric’s team are pushing for a five-year deal to secure the 21-year-old.

The Bulldogs are also eyeing some potential castaways from the Broncos who may be forced to move some players on.

In some good news for the club, they have secured back-rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner for another two years.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/9035f948e8127f8fea09da3045611532

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just want confirmation already, I’m sick of all the speculation

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if we win 7-6? Does he get extended?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure I've read the same cut and paste article like ten times now.

The board are probably hoping and praying we win one more game so they can "justify" re-sign him :weary:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Re-signing a dud second rower who has not fulfilled the role he was signed for is not a bonus. As for signing players from a team marginally better than us is not filling me with confidence.As for attracting a jumper sponsor how much time have they had,and yes we didn’t have one before the COVID

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just want confirmation already, I’m sick of all the speculation
Could be just the start of the speculation Brent Read was saying on Triple M tonight that the Dogs are thinking about re-signing Pay for a year because they prefer the off contract coaches at the end of 21.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We will prob jag a fluke win this Saturday and the board give him another year

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could be just the start of the speculation Brent Read was saying on Triple M tonight that the Dogs are thinking about re-signing Pay for a year because they prefer the off contract coaches at the end of 21.
Heard that lol, but also said it’s highly likely we will go in another direction next season
I think it would be a terrible idea to keep pay another season, it simply cannot happen

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm done if that happens, another 12 month suspension what a fucking joke.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We're signing Jack Bird aren't we? :sweatsmile:
Very small chance that we're going to sign someone that the Broncos want to keep. Milford and Bird probably. If we just got Flegler that'd be ideal.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heard that lol, but also said it’s highly likely we will go in another direction next season
I think it would be a terrible idea to keep pay another season, it simply cannot happen
Ageeed it’s the worst case scenario it’s just giving up on a season before it’s even began.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For fuck sake if that happens that is fucked

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Can’t handle another year of a coach whose only direction to our starting backrower is “run and tackle hard”.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Can’t handle another year of a coach whose only direction to our starting backrower is “run and tackle hard”.
Well he's playing a lot better then what he was before he got dropped last year. If you're going to give Pay shit for when players go backwards you have to give Pay credit when they improve. COntrACT YEaR.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well he's playing a lot better then what he was before he got dropped last year. If you're going to give Pay shit for when players go backwards you have to give Pay credit when they improve. COntrACT YEaR.
Improving from the garbage he dished up last year is not to be commended, it’s to be expected. It’s called being a first grader. And I don’t think being told to run and tackle hard is the reason