Official Bulldogs Reject Sports Betting

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I pretty much don’t watch any FTA TV so maybe I’m desensitised. I’ve got no issue with certain restrictions ie: gambling ads only allowed after a certain hour or limited to when events are on.

You have to be 18 to bet on an app - you agree to this with T/C’s on sign up. If under 18’s are betting and have access to credit I’d suggest the problem is bigger than ads and perhaps related to their environment.

Absolutely let’s be responsible but just as I respect people’s choice to not have a bet or a drink watching the footy, I don’t expect to be judged because I might choose to do that.

Personal responsibility plays a huge role here too. Why are we always looking for someone else to blame?
Firstly mate you aren't missing anything on FTA TV :-)
On a series note, if we truly care about family's well being we don't just restrict advertising we ban it, out of sight out of mind !
I agree on personal choices and responsibilities, we can't blame others for our misdemeanors in life, freedom of choice must always be Paramount and no person has the right to be judgmental about anyone.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
it is all a publicity stunt, we get all our funding from leagues club and their pokies

Birddog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
it is all a publicity stunt, we get all our funding from leagues club and their pokies
And it's all useless, unless the braodcasters stop the adds which they won't. Who really cares if sportbet has a jersey sponsor, but every add break on TV has a flashy catch cry. That is where the problem is not the jersey and ground sponsorship.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
And it's all useless, unless the braodcasters stop the adds which they won't. Who really cares if sportbet has a jersey sponsor, but every add break on TV has a flashy catch cry. That is where the problem is not the jersey and ground sponsorship.
I got no problem, i punt on the games

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Firstly mate you aren't missing anything on FTA TV :-)
On a series note, if we truly care about family's well being we don't just restrict advertising we ban it, out of sight out of mind !
I agree on personal choices and responsibilities, we can't blame others for our misdemeanors in life, freedom of choice must always be Paramount and no person has the right to be judgmental about anyone.
A lot of what you say is fair.
No doubt about FTA :-).
I guess I just struggle with an automatic sense of blaming a product or marketing of said product for problems it may cause. We need to have our own awareness and own our choices in my view. There’ll be different views and that’s fine, I’m just not into blaming others for my own choices and my own mistakes.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well done Bulldogs...
Gambling has always been a curse and a cause for families destruction among many other misfortunes.
There is no need to advertise it in order to brain wash kids...It's EVIL !!!
Coca - Cola has done that for centuries, I must have got brainwashed as a kid, seeing that red an white sign everywhere, hence I still drink shit loads of it today :tearsofjoy: !!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot of what you say is fair.
No doubt about FTA :-).
I guess I just struggle with an automatic sense of blaming a product or marketing of said product for problems it may cause. We need to have our own awareness and own our choices in my view. There’ll be different views and that’s fine, I’m just not into blaming others for my own choices and my own mistakes.
Totally agree but also believe minors deserve to grow up in a safe environment without being influenced by advertisements promoting gambling.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Now we can't buy a halfback.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I really don't see how anyone can put a negative spin on this. Even if it is hypocritical when pokies are a huge part of the leagues club, that doesn't mean that they can't try and make a change in other areas that they can control. They're not exactly going to tell the leagues club to get rid of all of the pokies because then there'd be no football club..

They turned down free money from gambling sponsors when almost every other club whores themselves out. They're not saying gambling is evil. They're saying in sports advertising and sponsorship it's over the top and needs to change.

And how does this detract from building a competitive football team? Does anyone honestly think Gus isn't working night and day to improve the roster and results? We've supposedly signed Ryan Sutton from Canberra, so all of these so called PR moves clearly aren't preventing the club from making signings.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Spoony.

Yeh I agree. I posted something similar the other day regarding our club and it's image. Our club is too worried about it's image and marketing than it is about getting the results on the field right. They still don't get it, we don't care about anything except the results on the field. Get the results on the field and everything else falls into place including image and marketing.
Thanks mate.

This actually reminds me of something the club would have done under Castle. Trying to take some moral high ground over gambling money while being bankrolled by pokies just treats the public like fools to be honest. From memory Ladbrokes stopped sponsoring us after 2020? So it’s not like the club has severed ties with a sponsor for this.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh not reading too much into this at all given the piles of money the leagues club and our major sponsor make from the biggest evil in gambling..Pokies

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

This actually reminds me of something the club would have done under Castle. Trying to take some moral high ground over gambling money while being bankrolled by pokies just treats the public like fools to be honest. From memory Ladbrokes stopped sponsoring us after 2020? So it’s not like the club has severed ties with a sponsor for this.
Yeah her first two calls were giving immigrants free membership and to get rid of cheerleaders. Was a nice little peek into the future

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

Welcome back Spoonman.. The difference between then and now though is it was all PR back then with no idea of how to run a football club or build a football team.

This may be be a PR move too but we have slightly more football nous snd experience with Khoury and Gus in terms of running the business side of the club and building a roster. It's not like Khoury is guaranteeing two premierships by 2025.

Souths are part of this too as are other clubs in other codes, so it's not like we're the only ones.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Totally agree but also believe minors deserve to grow up in a safe environment without being influenced by advertisements promoting gambling.
We’ll have to agree to disagree.
There’s minors in my life who are none the wiser because there’s no emphasis paid to the product (eg: betting or booze when watching footy) and any consumption for me isn’t around them. I say personal responsibly trumps advertising and you’re a product of your environment, but appreciate others feel differently.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Spoonman.. The difference between then and now though is it was all PR back then with no idea of how to run a football club or build a football team.

This may be be a PR move too but we have slightly more football nous snd experience with Khoury and Gus in terms of running the business side of the club and building a roster. It's not like Khoury is guaranteeing two premierships by 2025.

Souths are part of this too as are other clubs in other codes, so it's not like we're the only ones.
I’m not saying the club is going back to days like it was under Castle but this specific move does remind me of something she would do. The current board and admin have plenty of credit in the bank from what they have done so far but I think they missed the mark on this one.

If they are so keen to stamp out gambling money then do it across the board but to me this just looks like a half hearted effort to score some cheap PR. It just shows how weak and dumb Australia’s media is that no one questioned Warburton over it.