Official Bulldogs Reject Sports Betting

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i was surprised we didn't have a "betting partner" like most clubs seem to have.

This is a good initiative.

My firm recently had to sack someone whose gambling was affecting his life. He was early 20s, smart and really could have a good future in business, but he seemed to spend half his day one his phone betting on anything that moved. Its become so normalised and part of life for many.

Last edited:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i was surprised we didn't have a "betting partner" like most clubs seem to have.

This is a good initiative.

We recently had to sack someone whose gambling was affecting his life. He was early 20s, smart and really could have a good future in business, but he seemed to spend half his day one his phone better on anything that moved. Its become so normalised and part of life for many.
They’ve infiltrated society. It’s part of the fabric of being Australian. The past 5/10 years have been insane, they’re marketing, products are just everywhere. They must spend so much on that sort of stuff.

the latest one I’ve seen is the Tab green zone, trying to get people back in person at the TAB. They push out new shit so often it’s crazy.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Go Dogs!!, it's gotten out of hand and clubs shouldn't be advertising gambling at all.

Each to their own, I'm not against gambling at all I just think it does more damage then good for most people.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Great work by Gus, Khoury and to take this stance and turn down the easy money from betting agencies and go against the grain of every other sporting league and club which is affiliated with them.

Betting agencies are a plague on sports and society at the moment which need to be brought back under control to the point where they don't dominate every sporting broadcast with ads and in game odds updates.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Poker Machines perfectly fine though?
That's just as big a problem and obviously the leagues club, Laundy our major sponsor with his pubs and in turn our club profit massively from that. But one step at a time. They could have easily accepted 300k from Sportsbet to be a shorts sponsor or something but they took a stance which is commendable in an era where every club around the world is aligned with betting agencies.

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's just as big a problem and obviously the leagues club, Laundy our major sponsor with his pubs and in turn our club benefit from that. But one step at a time. They could have easily accepted a 300k from Sportsbet to be a shorts sponsor or something but they took a stance which is commendable in an era where every club around the world is aligned with betting agencies.
Well said mate, agree on everything said.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Huge step.

Pretty sure we were partnered with Ladbrokes a few years back... LOVE SEEING THIS!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That's just as big a problem and obviously the leagues club, Laundy our major sponsor with his pubs and in turn our club benefit from that. But one step at a time. They could have easily accepted a 300k from Sportsbet to be a shorts sponsor or something but they took a stance which is commendable in an era where every club around the world is aligned with betting agencies.
Pokes can be such insidious things. You only have to hang around a pokie room to see that (or manage a bar). We all probably know of a story of someone losing everything or stealing from their employer etc. They remain the biggest problem as far problem gamblers are concerned. When i used to work in receiverships of pubs and clubs the first thing we looked at was how to get pokie revenue up. I attended all the gaming trade shows and got invited to the junkets. My boss expected me to be a fanboi of gaming and you would never be allowed to be critical of it. I'm so glad i'm not around that anymore TBH.

However, at least in NSW you can't advertise or promote pokies (well not directly). This is a good thing. Here is QLD its really in your face a lot more, with big signs outside every venue. Kids are also not playing pokies or being directly exposed to them as much (certainly not compared to when we were kids and we could just basically sit in the pokie room having a lemonade whilst your dad lost his money). They are, however, getting smashed by sports betting every other minute as if its a normal part of the game day experience.

At the end of the day, whilst it may look hypocritical to some (which i 100% totally get). IMO this is overall a good thing.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's just as big a problem and obviously the leagues club, Laundy our major sponsor with his pubs and in turn our club profit massively from that. But one step at a time. They could have easily accepted 300k from Sportsbet to be a shorts sponsor or something but they took a stance which is commendable in an era where every club around the world is aligned with betting agencies.
Adding to this - at least now, when I'm watching the Dogs play - I will have less of the Gambling Advertising coming my way. If I want to go to the Club and play the Pokies, that's 100% on me for physically taking myself there, sitting down, and feeding $50's into the machine. When I'm watching sport, I want to sit down and enjoy the contest - I don't give two shits about the awesome "Flying Foxx Anytime Tryscorer Special" being broadcast pre-game/ mid-game/ post-game. I just want to watch footy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pokes can be such insidious things. You only have to hang around a pokie room to see that (or manage a bar). We all probably know of a story of someone losing everything or stealing from their employer etc. They remain the biggest problem as far problem gamblers are concerned. When i used to work in receiverships of pubs and clubs the first thing we looked at was how to get pokie revenue up. I attended all the gaming trade shows and got invited to the junkets. My boss expected to be a fanboi of gaming. I'm so glad i'm not around that anymore TBH.

However, at least in NSW you can't advertise or promote pokies (well not directly). This is a good thing. Here is QLD its really in your face a lot more, with big signs outside every venue. Kids are also not playing pokies or being directly exposed to them as much (certainly not compared to when we were kids and we could just basically sit in the pokie room having a lemonade whilst your dad lost his money). They are, however, getting smashed by sports betting every other minute as if its a normal part of the game day experience.

At the end of the day, whilst it may look hypocritical to some (which i 100% totally get). IMO this is overall a good thing.
Well said CD. There's a good documentary called Ka-Ching Pokie Nation which goes into detail about how Aristocrat was the pioneer in pokie machines all around the world and how Australia has more pokie/slot machines per capita than anywhere in the world.

It also explains how on a chemical and psychological level just the sounds, lights and different gimmicks of the pokies play a part in enhancing the addiction.