Bulldogs in crisis: Club great Steve Mortimer says he’ll quit if Des Hasler gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/469d2dc51088961c1ba176505c6f7b46

An emotional Steve Mortimer has vowed to walk away from his position on the Bulldogs’ board if Des Hasler is handed a new two-year contract extension at Friday’s emergency meeting.

In what’s shaping up as a showdown between the man regarded as the Bulldogs’ greatest ever player and one of the best coaches of the modern game, Mortimer declared: “If they want me to resign, I will resign.

“As a director I will go the best way I can in supporting (whatever decision is made).

“But if I had to be asked to renew the new two-year contract I would say, ‘I am sorry, I will have to walk away’.”

While many fans and rugby league experts are struggling to comprehend how Hasler could be fighting to save his future after taking the Bulldogs to two grand finals in his five years at the club, Mortimer did not back away from his belief it is time for change.

He also revealed how he fronted Hasler at a recent board meeting to express his concerns about the lack of passion displayed in the disappointing finals loss to Penrith.

I did say the last game we played, the first half was pretty good, but at the end of the game I saw 13 players playing individually.

“There was no passion. There was no helping each other in that second half. And I complained.”

Mortimer is adamant the seven directors who will decide Hasler’s fate on Friday all have the club’s best interests at heart. And he said whatever decision they come up with he won’t dispute.

“We have a seven directors and nothing will split any of those,” he said.

“They all have business acumen which is great, but they all have brains as well in respect to where the club is going.”

“I spoke at the last directors’ meeting,” Mortimer said.

“Des Hasler was there. I got some things off my chest. Maybe I said too much but irrespective of that. I was at the meeting, Des was there also.

“Des came up and said stats about this and all that sort of stuff.

Asked if all the directors were on the same page, Mortimer said: “I would like to say that I believe that we are.”

Mortimer also revealed how he offered his resignation on Wednesday to senior director Arthur Coorey after he declared the club was “losing its DNA” under Hasler.

Mortimer made a point of saying he did not aim his criticism at chief executive Raelene Castle.

“Look, I really like Raelene,” Mortimer said.

“Her father was a coach at Turvey Park years ago and she is a very astute and good person. Maybe Raelene and I disagree about Des’s value, but that doesn’t matter, I still have respect for our CEO.”

Asked if Coorey was unhappy with his comments, Mortimer said: “No. He was fine.”

Coorey was reluctant to talk when contacted.

“We are having a meeting on Friday. I have nothing to say,” he said.

Asked about Mortimer’s comments, Coorey added: “He is entitled to say what he wants, it is up to him.

“Everyone is free to say what they want to say.”

Coorey denied Hasler was going to be pushed out of the club.

“Nobody has said that. Where did you get that from?” he questioned.

“Turvey didn’t say that. I know what Turvey said. He is talking about his future. That is it.”

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
threads merged and dupe comment

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Seems the last few days Mortimer has been beating his chest telling every paper who cares to listen "I'M A DIRECTOR ON THE BOARD".

Mortimer needs to really shut the fuck up. I mean that. His latest few articles quoting him in the media, makes it sound like he's firing a gun into the air, happy to get sacked.

I mean he's tendered his resignation, and doesn't care if he leaves the board... THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES!!

Mortimer is doing more damage to this club opening his mouth than he realises. Oh and the gushing display of support for Castle says it all. He knows Castles position is on the chopping block, and by backing her and speaking out against Des, it turns the media spotlight away from her and criticism of her.

Yet others like RLW MOLE are saying board are unhappy as well.

COULD IT BE that Castle is potentially getting sacked, and that's why Mortimer has tendered his resignation in advance???

and if the club sack her and keep Hasler, he has a ready made excuse above.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Omg this is incredible. Our club is going???? Crazy???? There's a word I'm thinking of.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Last time he left was during the rape scandal wasn't it? It certainly doesn't look good at the club.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If anything it wouldn't suprise me if first / last discussion at the table Friday is accepting Moritmers resignation and showing him the door.

He's really put a blight on the clubs name speaking to the media like this... and the fact he's willing to walk away shows he cares little for the damage he is doing to the clubs reputation.

Club legend or not, he shouldn't be sooking like a little girl in public the way he is.
Hes's probably fucked off that the club won't sign his nephew Daniel Mortimer.

Reactions: Dex

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Seems the last few days Mortimer has been beating his chest telling every paper who cares to listen "I'M A DIRECTOR ON THE BOARD".

Mortimer needs to really shut the fuck up. I mean that. His latest few articles quoting him in the media, makes it sound like he's firing a gun into the air, happy to get sacked.

I mean he's tendered his resignation, and doesn't care if he leaves the board... THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES!!

Mortimer is doing more damage to this club opening his mouth than he realises. Oh and the gushing display of support for Castle says it all. He knows Castles position is on the chopping block, and by backing her and speaking out against Des, it turns the media spotlight away from her and criticism of her.

Yet others like RLW MOLE are saying board are unhappy as well.

COULD IT BE that Castle is potentially getting sacked, and that's why Mortimer has tendered his resignation in advance???

and if the club sack her and keep Hasler, he has a ready made excuse above.
You telling our number 1 club legend to shut the fuck up. He has every right to speak his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.