Bulldogs in crisis: Club great Steve Mortimer says he’ll quit if Des Hasler gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't get it. He's just repeated what everyone on here has said and he's a whinger because of it?

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what's the point of making the finals if we are not competitive with the top 4 teams.
getting bundled out in week 1 is just as bad as missing the finals.
making up the numbers isn't good enough.
no one is expecting winning every year, but we do expect to be in the hunt.
no shame in losing when you compete hard. if we can get back to that,
winning a GF will take care of itself
Making the 8 consistently isn't being the hunt? Making the grand final 2/5 years isn't being in the hunt? People on here are crucifying des for not winning those grand finals. I'm also guessing there will be replies saying making the grand final isn't good enough, but it shows that we're in the hunt.

I think if we fire des with the club as it is now, I think we go nowhere in the foreseeable future, we needed a rebuild after the 2014 grand final, it seems that this year was going to be the start of the rebuild but now all cards are off the table.

I want des to have a chance at rebuilding, that's all.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
- Pritchard wanted to stay, but club wouldn't give up the money and said no. Barba and Ennis were going anyway. Finucane it was either him or Jackson. Tapau has been average at best at Manly. Chisholm wanted to play first grade and was error prone.
- Hasler coming to the Dogs was also so he would be able to develop all grades (note the NYC/NSWRL training preseason, and often alongside NRL side).
- Holbrook left, Mullholland left, Cleal came in.
- club has attracted many names, but the club has sat on contracts too long or waited too long to approve making an offer and the players have gone elsewhere.
- Foran was almost ready to come over, until our board played sillybuggers with him, and our offer was too late.
- Mata'utias have gone to shit recently, and wanted too much money for untested players.
- How can one change a team when there is no depth (looks at Mr Cleal).
- Juniors are leaving because other clubs are tossing big coin at them. When you aren't prepared to give big coin, players leave. Simple!
- Dumb footy is a result of the club holding the purse strings and not ponying up big money for an established playmaker, but rather trying to make a playmaker out of "what we already have".
I don't think so

Reaction score
Making the 8 consistently isn't being the hunt? Making the grand final 2/5 years isn't being in the hunt? People on here are crucifying des for not winning those grand finals. I'm also guessing there will be replies saying making the grand final isn't good enough, but it shows that we're in the hunt.

I think if we fire des with the club as it is now, I think we go nowhere in the foreseeable future, we needed a rebuild after the 2014 grand final, it seems that this year was going to be the start of the rebuild but now all cards are off the table.

we probably would have got that rebuild if we didn't make the GF.
what i meant by in the hunt was that there's always 3 tiers in any season.
the top few teams, then a gap between the next bunch of teams that fight it out for the last 4 spots in the 8,
then the last group of teams that won't make the finals.

we were the best team in 2012, yet since then there's been a large gap between us and the top group of teams.
i don't expect to win all the time, i just want us to be competitive with the top group.

top 8 is misleading, as the bottom 4 teams are usually off the pace of the top 4 teams.
the tigers almost made the 8 this year with a differential of negative 108 points

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep his a greedy ****
Depends on his employment contract and if there are restraints on it in the event of early termination/departure.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
W

When you rebuild a club, it means you know what you have isn't good enough so you identify your weakness and fix it and you cultivate your juniors.

Des can't even recruit a fly atm, he hasn't invested in juniors, we are a shambles of a team with infighting, our attack is an embarrassment, and he has had 5 bloody years and this is what it has come to so NOOOOOOO!! He doesn't deserve another year.

Time to start from scratch and go a new direction

Status
Not open for further replies.