News Bulldogs’ brutal season start; Cowboys (R1), Broncos (R2), Manly (R3), Storm (R4), Panthers (R5), Rabbitohs (R6)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
So 2/6 being realistic/best case scenario. Cowboys and Broncos games we have a shot at winning. I think Broncos will be decent next year so I'd probably say 1/6. I actually like a lot of the rosters next year I think the competition will be more competitive than ever.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cowboys (R1)
Broncos (R2)
Manly (R3)
Storm (R4)

Panthers (R5)
Rabbitohs (R6)

5 wins from the first 6 games. Thanks for coming.
I'm all over that.

In honesty tho, I'm going for a slow start. We'll get maybe 3 wins but with the losses being close.

Happy you're confident. At least you're not saying 6 wins!

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
3/6 wins against cowboys or broncos we will loose one, manly and south’s.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If fans think we can win 3 of those first 6...we will def be in Top 8 :grinning:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the clear wooden spoons in any previous season has had to play the four preliminary finalists in their first 6 games, ever.

It beggars belief, the chances of this happening randomly are extremely small. There is a strong chance that 3 games, and a reasonable chance that 4 games out of the first 6 will be against top 8 teams, because there are 8 of them and 7 opponents from the bottom 8. But the chances of facing all four preliminary finalists in a row and in the first 6 games are miniscule.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict 1 win in our first 6 games. After this difficult start we will do well to win 2 of the next 6 games regardless of who they are against. The good news is we will have matched our 2021 win count by the halfway point of the season.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We can't worry about the draw no matter how tough it is. If we want to be a top 8 team, then we have to beat some of these teams eventually. It will be a good challenge. Hopefully we can cause an upset or two.
That makes broad sense, and sounds good, but it is a motherhood statement. Fact is we have been struggling for a while, and in our specific context we simply need a few things to go our way in order to start climbing back off the canvas. The opposite is happening.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every game winnable Barrett has to play to our strengths speed.
Somehow Burton and averilo need to inject the long ball passing game to get our speed men early possession off our edge runners TPJ,Hetherington and RFM,it is written so let it be done.
Fire up boys need for speed.
Zoom zoom on the outskirts of belmore

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett will be under pressure from the start of the season. We reveal the Bulldogs, Wests Tigers and Dragons’ early 2022 draws.

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett is facing a brutal start to his second season in charge as he attempts to ease some of the pressure on his job.
The NRL will release the full draw on Tuesday but News Corp can reveal that the Bulldogs face the most daunting start to the season of any of the game’s 16 clubs.

They begin with a pair of winnable games against North Queensland and Brisbane before the temperature rises over the ensuing month.

Over a four-week period, the new-look Bulldogs face Manly, Melbourne, Penrith and South Sydney – last year’s top four sides.

The Bulldogs will be outsiders in each of those games and they will need to start fast against the Cowboys and Broncos, because there is every chance they may struggle to score a victory for the four weeks after that.

Barrett enters his second year in charge under immense pressure to perform given the Bulldogs only won three games in 2021.

The club has strengthened its football department since then by bringing in Phil Gould and they have fortified their roster with the addition, among others, of Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton, Braidon Burns and Tevita Pangai Junior.

All four will face their former clubs within the opening six weeks of next season. Pangai will face the Broncos in round two, Addo-Carr will face the Storm in round four, Burton and Pangai will meet Penrith in round five and Burns will clash with Souths in round six.

While the draw makes life difficult for the Bulldogs, so does the expectation that envelopes the side and their coach as they kick off their pre-season with vaccination issues and concern over the quality of their playmakers.

English forward Luke Thompson has been training on his own after declining to be vaccinated, although it is understood he has given an indication that he will consider changing his stance if necessary.

Early NRL draws for three clubs
WESTS TIGERS - Melbourne (R1), Newcastle (R2), Warriors (R3), Titans (R4), Sharks (R5)
BULLDOGS - Cowboys (R1), Broncos (R2), Manly (R3), Storm (R4), Panthers (R5), Rabbitohs (R6)
DRAGONS
- Warriors (R1), Panthers (R2), Sharks (R3), Eels (R4), Rabbitohs (R5)

The club is also facing a dire shortage of quality in key positions and it is understood their salary cap position has ruled them out of the race for Storm rake Brandon Smith, who became eligible to speak to interested parties on November 1.

Barrett is among a slew of coaches who start the season under the blowtorch. Like his Canterbury counterpart, St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin faces a difficult start to the season as he prepares to lead his side against Penrith, Parramatta and South Sydney over the opening five weeks.

The Dragons coach is off contract at the end of next year and a fast start will help his cause as he looks for a contract extension. While Barrett and Griffin face significant challenges to make headway early in the season, the news is better for Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire as he looks to keep the wolves at bay.

What the hell are we worried about, we hit rock bottom this year so the only way from here is UP, we have just purchased about 10 new quality players, we can now match it with the best for speed, the dead wood slow turtle players are gone, we have great forward power, great depth , we have Gus Gould in our corner plus great sponsors and the best looking Jerseys. All we have to do is gel, and we will. So bring it on baby, I am full of confidence and very excited, I think we are definitely the goods next year I don't care who we play, image if we win the first six games we would be on our way to top 8 in the first six weeks, I'm pumped so come guys stop winging & worrying and jump on the Bulldog express 2022. I know deep down inside all of you are as excited as I am so lets celebrate the birth of a hew Bulldog Era.

1636376223574.png 1636376379410.png

Attachments

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
After team confidence has been diminished and the players and coaching staff are feeling a weekly increase in pressure.
That's how I see it.

Re-built team trying to find cohesion with several new players....what a bloody hard task.

Whether you are a tennis player or a tiddily winks player.....getting the current Top 4/Top Seeds/teams, one after the other, is not character building when that is your task, first up, so early in the season.

Typical NRLol and I'd be surprised if any other bottom 8 team was burdened with such a heavy schedule first up.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What the hell are we worried about, we hit rock bottom this year so the only way from here is UP, we have just purchased about 10 new quality players, we can now match it with the best for speed, the dead wood slow turtle players are gone, we have great forward power, great depth , we have Gus Gould in our corner plus great sponsors and the best looking Jerseys. All we have to do is gel, and we will. So bring it on baby, I am full of confidence and very excited, I think we are definitely the goods next year I don't care who we play, image if we win the first six games we would be on our way to top 8 in the first six weeks, I'm pumped so come guys stop winging & worrying and jump on the Bulldog express 2022. I know deep down inside all of you are as excited as I am so lets celebrate the birth of a hew Bulldog Era.

View attachment 33111 View attachment 33112
I'm with you champ, but we both know there will be more than a few NOT buying a ticket on said train :tearsofjoy:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Trent Barrett will be under pressure from the start of the season. We reveal the Bulldogs, Wests Tigers and Dragons’ early 2022 draws.

Canterbury coach Trent Barrett is facing a brutal start to his second season in charge as he attempts to ease some of the pressure on his job.
The NRL will release the full draw on Tuesday but News Corp can reveal that the Bulldogs face the most daunting start to the season of any of the game’s 16 clubs.

They begin with a pair of winnable games against North Queensland and Brisbane before the temperature rises over the ensuing month.

Over a four-week period, the new-look Bulldogs face Manly, Melbourne, Penrith and South Sydney – last year’s top four sides.

The Bulldogs will be outsiders in each of those games and they will need to start fast against the Cowboys and Broncos, because there is every chance they may struggle to score a victory for the four weeks after that.

Barrett enters his second year in charge under immense pressure to perform given the Bulldogs only won three games in 2021.

The club has strengthened its football department since then by bringing in Phil Gould and they have fortified their roster with the addition, among others, of Josh Addo-Carr, Matt Burton, Braidon Burns and Tevita Pangai Junior.

All four will face their former clubs within the opening six weeks of next season. Pangai will face the Broncos in round two, Addo-Carr will face the Storm in round four, Burton and Pangai will meet Penrith in round five and Burns will clash with Souths in round six.

While the draw makes life difficult for the Bulldogs, so does the expectation that envelopes the side and their coach as they kick off their pre-season with vaccination issues and concern over the quality of their playmakers.

English forward Luke Thompson has been training on his own after declining to be vaccinated, although it is understood he has given an indication that he will consider changing his stance if necessary.

Early NRL draws for three clubs
WESTS TIGERS - Melbourne (R1), Newcastle (R2), Warriors (R3), Titans (R4), Sharks (R5)
BULLDOGS - Cowboys (R1), Broncos (R2), Manly (R3), Storm (R4), Panthers (R5), Rabbitohs (R6)
DRAGONS
- Warriors (R1), Panthers (R2), Sharks (R3), Eels (R4), Rabbitohs (R5)

The club is also facing a dire shortage of quality in key positions and it is understood their salary cap position has ruled them out of the race for Storm rake Brandon Smith, who became eligible to speak to interested parties on November 1.

Barrett is among a slew of coaches who start the season under the blowtorch. Like his Canterbury counterpart, St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin faces a difficult start to the season as he prepares to lead his side against Penrith, Parramatta and South Sydney over the opening five weeks.

The Dragons coach is off contract at the end of next year and a fast start will help his cause as he looks for a contract extension. While Barrett and Griffin face significant challenges to make headway early in the season, the news is better for Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire as he looks to keep the wolves at bay.

Paying attention to such report is total madness, even the greatest of coaches won't be worried about who they are facing in the first round right now let alone 6 rounds.
Success starts with...
* Mighty solid preseason fitness training.
* Extra extensive ball-work training to mould the team together.
* 3 trial matches to put all the hard work into practice.
* Then and only then we start working on wining one game at a time !!!
This way every game is winnable !!!
Any other way would be suicidal.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm curious to know if the clear wooden spoons in any previous season has had to play the four preliminary finalists in their first 6 games, ever.

It beggars belief, the chances of this happening randomly are extremely small. There is a strong chance that 3 games, and a reasonable chance that 4 games out of the first 6 will be against top 8 teams, because there are 8 of them and 7 opponents from the bottom 8. But the chances of facing all four preliminary finalists in a row and in the first 6 games are miniscule.
Instead of claiming a conspiracy or bias against us, how about we look at the positives? We had fuck all free to air games last season because we were wooden spooners and had a Reserve Grade team. In the first six weeks alone we'll probably have at least four free to air games..

Take that as a sign of respect from the NRL that they expect us to improve and want to put one of the biggest clubs back in prime time where they belong. That's good for the fans, sponsors and the club as a whole.

We have to play these teams eventually. Souths and Manly are definitely beatable. We tested both teams last year with a Reserve Grade team and Souths have lost key players and their coach.. Baz and the squad should be embracing the challenge..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That makes broad sense, and sounds good, but it is a motherhood statement. Fact is we have been struggling for a while, and in our specific context we simply need a few things to go our way in order to start climbing back off the canvas. The opposite is happening.
We don't need anything to go our way. You make your own luck. Hard work, effort and execution is what will help us climb off the canvas. As well as a huge improvement in talent which is what we have.

Sometimes the best time to play the top teams is early in the season when they still haven't found their groove yet. No one at the club will be running scared. The fans shouldn't be either.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can people put away the tin foil hats about some NRL conspiracy to give the Dogs a bad draw it’s just embarrassing. The Cowboys and Broncos have been in a similar position to us for the last few years and we always get Souths on Good Friday. If you want to go off this years table it’s hardly some stitch up we got some teams that finished low and some that finished high.

Mike Z

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yous say that it doesn’t matter when we play these teams, but if we go on a bad losing run to start the season our confidence will be in the mud like last year
It would be better to lose those 4 games vs those teams. Than to play 4 easier teams and lose. That would be a confidence killer.
Those 4 teams will be favourites to win against all other teams. And expected to win majority of their games