Brave effort... but poor bench rotation.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In defense of Pay, his poor rotation has been going since he first coached us. At least he is consistent.

I loved the effort of the boys today, for the first time In years, i thought we could win even with 3 mins to go. Im even warming to Elliott playing front row but no other position, just shits me to tears while watching the game, seeing the boys out of puff while we have fresh forwards on the bench. Put them on for fucks sake.

For some members on here, you are not allowed to have an opinion knocking pay for or the Bulldogs whatsoever.
I personally don’t have a problem with you expressing your opinion.

We probably do need to be more flexible and adaptable in our bench rotations and be more prepared for these situations, but it’s also the case that right now the coaching and fitness staff believe they can only get limited minutes out of certain players at this level until they get more experience.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So what you do is this... rotate the players in such a way that someone like Martin or Elliott or Smith is off 20 minutes till the end.

You rest JMK if absolutely required, and pop one of those players in at hooker for last 20 minutes.

ANYONE could do a better job.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hooker on bench was a waste.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you have the opposition packing a scrum 10m outfrom your line the last thing you want is your forwards defending the line.

The forwards should be packing the scrum

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When you have the opposition packing a scrum 10m outfrom your line the last thing you want is your forwards defending the line.

Yep. Munster’s eyes would have lit up seeing Elliott in the line.

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's an interesting concept, the forwards packing the scrum. Possibly even radical in today's game.

Sorry if it seems I'm having a dig at you, I'm not, but it's a rarity these days for a scrum to be comprised of solely forwards! Almost as rare as contesting the scrum.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think what Moe is saying is so outrageous that it sparks such a reaction.

Pay has thankfully righted his wrongs of the first few weeks but he's still a young coach who is figuring things out and I think that in the 29 games he's coached, his use of the bench hasn't been his strong suit...

But I have liked the enterprising play of the last few weeks and the defense has been great so there are positives that Pay deserves credit for. And even Moe is acknowledging that.. That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement though.

In such a close game, every little decision is amplified and everyone is just frustrated because the team deserved to pull off a massive upset.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First of all love the game and love the effort by the boys. So close but disappointing to lose.. very proud of them .

But...

The forwards were tired as fuck around 60min mark . Elliot came on 15th min mark and poor kid was puffed out which led to Munster try and he kept him on till fulltime. Great effort by the kid..not blaming him..

Why on earth Dean pay didnt you put on Ogden and Smith around 60 min mark and relieve pressure and put on fresh legs. I don't think Storm would have scored that try snd it could have been a different outcome.

Pay has a very bad habit of not using out bench properly.

Could not agree more. Also playing CHN through obvious concussion - I won't be surprised if we get punished for abusing the HIA protocol.

Chris Smith played 16 minutes, Ogden 21. Both could easily have handled 30-40 minutes in the middle and relieved Elliot who was clearly gassed. You could see him sucking in big ones in the lead up to the Munster try, was not surprised to see him fall off, and CHN fell for the dummy because his head's clearly not in the right place.

We need JMK to be able to play the 80 so we can piss Lichaa off and carry 4 forwards on the bench to help out the middle - especially with Napa set to miss time with the ankle injury.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sometimes i wonder we even bother on these forums with the intellect of some.

We are just trying to tell them that the forwards were tired as fuck while we had 2 fresh forwards on the bench. God forbid we have an opinion on here which goes against Pays choices .
Your main point was that we lost cause Munster scored and Elliot was tiered,
And another point your trying to make is that pay is shit.

Did you even give the boys a chance in this game?

If Melbourne didn’t get that extra leg up from the ref and they lost would you say anything?

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I don't think what Moe is saying is so outrageous that it sparks such a reaction.

Pay has thankfully righted his wrongs of the first few weeks but he's still a young coach who is figuring things out and I think that in the 29 games he's coached, his use of the bench hasn't been his strong suit...

But I have liked the enterprising play of the last few weeks and the defense has been great so there are positives that Pay deserves credit for. And even Moe is acknowledging that.. That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement though.

In such a close game, every little decision is amplified and everyone is just frustrated because the team deserved to pull off a massive upset.
It’s not about right or wrong it’s about having a dig at pay every chance he gets, and being negative.
Boys played there hearts out and be happy we are a competitive team.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It’s not about right or wrong it’s about having a dig at pay every chance he gets, and being negative.
I'm not a fan of Pay (at the moment) but you can't deny that he doesn't know how to use the bench. I'm not talking about yesterday, I'm talking since he started.

What makes it worse, there is no signs of him improving, arrogant or ignorant?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I said all of last season and the last two weeks, if the team competes that hard week in week out then that's all we can ask of them.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Pay (at the moment) but you can't deny that he doesn't know how to use the bench. I'm not talking about yesterday, I'm talking since he started.

What makes it worse, there is no signs of him improving, arrogant or ignorant?
Bro pay is still a young coach he will make mistakes and yes his bench Rotation isn’t crash hot ,
But he does deserve some credit
He took a desball team, cleaned it out and trying to win a comp.
You can’t say pay hasn’t done anything positive for the club .
But in saying that the OP is just putting in the boot in saying we lost cause forwards where tiered , technically if you want to go down that road it’s Jayden knock on that led to that try so it’s pays fault for putting a rookie on the wing.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK is doing a great job I reckon. Agree needs to stay on for the 80 and bring in another forward for Lichaa.
Yeah his service is great. Fast and flat and with width when it's required. His defense is pretty good too in the middle.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even when Pay gets his bench rotations right, there will still be people looking for negatives.

The next one will be Pay doesn't walk properly or something like that...lol....or he doesn't eat properly, he holds his spoon funny while eating.

In my books he is still better than Hasler. Hasler used to carry an extra forward on the bench and they'd be lucky to play 5 minutes, sometimes he'd give them no minutes at all.

I've said it before, people are entitled to their opinions, it's a forum after all, but people that always look for negatives more than the positives are glass half emtpy people, thank goodness they are not involved in the club in any official capacity.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMk looked good at the 60 min mark, not sure why they don't just leave him on and make the change if necessary. all in all though the refs were the reason for storm win, dogs clearly the better team on the day