Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don’t mind the strategy CA is implementing with focus on youth and bargain buy journeyman

He needs to balance the ‘way we used to conduct business with Bullfrog ‘ narrative with the reality of running a footy club today

He also needs to see how Pay fares for next season instead of rushing to re sign him
The thing is the focus should ALWAYS be on youth, no matter the current situation of your NRL side. The salary cap encourages players to look for better deals so sides are required to constantly rotate their rosters, if you have a great young talent locked up then you can let an established star go instead of constantly paying overs to retain players. You then end up paying a fraction of the price for a player to play similar role for a set period and that then gives you the cash to recruit an established player in an area you are currently lacking.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Got heaps of info will post in more detail later... everything said wasnt in private or confidence and mostly had people around me when we were chatting or within earshot so happy to share..

Il do a quick summary of the jist of all the info I gathered throughout the night..

1) no big name signing for next year.. club isnt looking for them either... we still looking at players for next year he said bargain buys, but no big names, dont want to over commit to anyone yet..

2) we are well under cap.. any cap ununsed will be front loaded..

3) cap space cleared up to give Pay the chance to build his own team.. with Mbye & Woods on our books we werent "over" cap but we had little wriggle room.. he used short term pain analogy a few times

4) Pay wanted Morris to stay but CA looking at longterm.. doesnt want anyone on books that might not have future here 2020 beyond.. short term pain analogy used again

5) Pay will do review at years end.. will hit market next year for areas he want to address.. 2019 & 2020 will be main years of recruitment.. he rekons 2020 more.. said club thinks we will be in best position of all clubs with our cap in 2020 to make moves for anyone

6) CA is incharge at our club... has a wide role gets involved in alot from office side to footy club.. can be an angry man lol - i wont share a certain story.. he has all board numbers so has control.. board has disagreed on a few things but all doing there best

7) Said previous board impatient for success signing good player to longterm big deals.. and they maxed our cap out completely every year.. Current board will be patient.. CA wants it done differently.. doesnt believe in signing superstars or big name players.. prefers to find next big thing, or good value or underrated players.. or players before they become stars.. i mentioned Roosters specifically then & he said we wont be recruiting like Roosters..

The club wants to avoid big money longterm deals said this several times.. players will have to prove themselves first before club commits longterm..

who we sign will depend on what areas Pay wants to strengthen.. the club wants to let Pay build his own team.. Pay will do complete review of team at seasons end

8) Lots of Bullfrog talk... He rarely signed established stars, got them usually before they became huge names.. club wants to do business like before.. only sign players that want to come here & improve their careers.. club will be offering minimal TPAs dont want players coming here just for big $$$..

9) I asked him what should I tell my friends.. he said they need to be patient.. inexperienced roster, if pay decided he wants to persist with them it will take time..

10) I asked about 2019 .. he said club expects us to be competitive - I said what about spoon.. he said we expect to be competing for finals..

11) Pay as coach - club happy with him.. he has good relationship with CA.. he will be re-signed sooner than you think

Out now will add more detail.. jotted points on mobile after every convo so didnt miss a thing
Thanks for the info, it is interesting.
So the "salary cap crisis" was all concocted bullshit then?
If we are way under the salary and front loading contracts (no doubt Klemmer & Jackson). I don’t see the point of front loading contracts unless your going to have a red hot go on the player market the next season?

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Theyd be crazy to re sign pay when will they learn

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing is the focus should ALWAYS be on youth, no matter the current situation of your NRL side. The salary cap encourages players to look for better deals so sides are required to constantly rotate their rosters, if you have a great young talent locked up then you can let an established star go instead of constantly paying overs to retain players. You then end up paying a fraction of the price for a player to play similar role for a set period and that then gives you the cash to recruit an established player in an area you are currently lacking.
That's a pretty simplistic view on list management. It's all well and good to say 'just sign a kid and it's cheaper', but it doesn't consider mitigating factors like injuries, positional traits of your junior players, evolution of the game or the benefits of experience.

Aside from FIFA, how many professional sporting lists have you managed?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's a pretty simplistic view on list management. It's all well and good to say 'just sign a kid and it's cheaper', but it doesn't consider mitigating factors like injuries, positional traits of your junior players, evolution of the game or the benefits of experience.

Aside from FIFA, how many professional sporting lists have you managed?
It's not a simplistic view because i'm not saying you just sign kids and have a complete roster of juniors. Im saying you should always focus on your youth development so when holes in your roster pop up your first option is a young kid at the club than can be promoted on a lower wage and your not required to rush off to the market to recruit.

Look at Penrith, they lost Wallace and instead of hitting the market and potentially being forced to pay overs, they have 2 good young kids at the club in Katoa and Egan that can fill the role at a lower wage. If they lose Cleary they then have young Luai and May that can step up, if they lose Edwards they then have Aekins and so on.

Obviously you don't stack the the team with kids as the replacements will never always be as good or better than who they are replacing, they also lack the experience you mentioned. But if you have these good kids constantly coming through then this gives you more freedom with your roster management.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Got heaps of info will post in more detail later... everything said wasnt in private or confidence and mostly had people around me when we were chatting or within earshot so happy to share..

Il do a quick summary of the jist of all the info I gathered throughout the night..

1) no big name signing for next year.. club isnt looking for them either... we still looking at players for next year he said bargain buys, but no big names, dont want to over commit to anyone yet..

3) cap space cleared up to give Pay the chance to build his own team.. with Mbye & Woods on our books we werent "over" cap but we had little wriggle room.. he used short term pain analogy a few times

4) Pay wanted Morris to stay but CA looking at longterm.. doesnt want anyone on books that might not have future here 2020 beyond.. short term pain analogy used again

5) Pay will do review at years end.. will hit market next year for areas he want to address.. 2019 & 2020 will be main years of recruitment.. he rekons 2020 more.. said club thinks we will be in best position of all clubs with our cap in 2020 to make moves for anyone

6) CA is incharge at our club... has a wide role gets involved in alot from office side to footy club.. can be an angry man lol - i wont share a certain story.. he has all board numbers so has control.. board has disagreed on a few things but all doing there best

7) Said previous board impatient for success signing good player to longterm big deals.. and they maxed our cap out completely every year.. Current board will be patient.. CA wants it done differently.. doesnt believe in signing superstars or big name players.. prefers to find next big thing, or good value or underrated players.. or players before they become stars.. i mentioned Roosters specifically then & he said we wont be recruiting like Roosters..

The club wants to avoid big money longterm deals said this several times.. players will have to prove themselves first before club commits longterm..

who we sign will depend on what areas Pay wants to strengthen.. the club wants to let Pay build his own team.. Pay will do complete review of team at seasons end

8) Lots of Bullfrog talk... He rarely signed established stars, got them usually before they became huge names.. club wants to do business like before.. only sign players that want to come here & improve their careers.. club will be offering minimal TPAs dont want players coming here just for big $$$..

9) I asked him what should I tell my friends.. he said they need to be patient.. inexperienced roster, if pay decided he wants to persist with them it will take time..

10) I asked about 2019 .. he said club expects us to be competitive - I said what about spoon.. he said we expect to be competing for finals..

11) Pay as coach - club happy with him.. he has good relationship with CA.. he will be re-signed sooner than you think

Out now will add more detail.. jotted points on mobile after every convo so didnt miss a thing
As others have stated, thanks for posting what you've learned from the meeting.

Really appreciate it :grinning:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for that info mate
It’s great to hear it first hand and really believe that we are traveling in the right direction
We just have to trust all these new people who are in charge and be very very patient
Can you sneak some pictures or video next time
P.S be careful not to get caught

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are building a club around him didn't you know.
I’m not joking mate
He is on such a good wicket for a player of his caliber
Hasler really took good care of him with those contracts over the years
What you reckon

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
I’m not joking mate
He is on such a good wicket for a player of his caliber
Hasler really took good care of him with those contracts over the years
What you reckon
He's not going Going anywhere and who could blame him.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going to a function on Friday dinner there will be a current board member there.. Have been to functions before and had a chance to chat to Bellamy and other NRL players..

Will see if I can sneek in some Qs probably about our cap and any signings on the horizon...

Any other Qs from u guys will try to sneak it in..
Please ask why reportedly are we not trying to re-sign Rhyse Martin at the moment. We would get him much much cheaper if we sign him NOW than if he continues to play the same good footy for the rest of the year. He has already shown he has the potential to be the best goal kicker in the comp if not already. We need to save every $$$ apparently so only makes sense to act NOW.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not a simplistic view because i'm not saying you just sign kids and have a complete roster of juniors. Im saying you should always focus on your youth development so when holes in your roster pop up your first option is a young kid at the club than can be promoted on a lower wage and your not required to rush off to the market to recruit.

Look at Penrith, they lost Wallace and instead of hitting the market and potentially being forced to pay overs, they have 2 good young kids at the club in Katoa and Egan that can fill the role at a lower wage. If they lose Cleary they then have young Luai and May that can step up, if they lose Edwards they then have Aekins and so on.

Obviously you don't stack the the team with kids as the replacements will never always be as good or better than who they are replacing, they also lack the experience you mentioned. But if you have these good kids constantly coming through then this gives you more freedom with your roster management.
That's all well and good, until your club can't produce quality footballers in key positions. In comparison to other clubs, we have a very small junior zone to work with, a quarter of the size of your example of Penrith. What is Penrith's reward for developing talent?

Recruiting doesn't always have to be established stars, it can be the next big thing in between established player and jersey flegg, which is a much cheaper option but very tricky to get right because it's not an exact science like recruiting an established star.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's all well and good, until your club can't produce quality footballers in key positions. In comparison to other clubs, we have a very small junior zone to work with, a quarter of the size of your example of Penrith. What is Penrith's reward for developing talent?

Recruiting doesn't always have to be established stars, it can be the next big thing in between established player and jersey flegg, which is a much cheaper option but very tricky to get right because it's not an exact science like recruiting an established star.
I'm not just talking about local juniors though, clubs are recruiting SG ball players from interstate these days and that's what we need to be doing and constantly ontop of.

You bring up the issue of not having key players coming through, well if that' the case then there's a problem within the recruitment and development system that needs to be addressed.

We should always aim to try and get the best kids possible in each and every position no matter who is in the firstgrade squad. Obviously you can't always get the best, but if clubs are doing a good job then things should even themselves out.

You might not have a gun half coming through for a year or two but you have a couple of good young forwards and a winger, that should be enough to fill gaps in your roster and potentially move on a big name so you can then reinvest it into the halves where your lacking. Obviously it won't always work out as well as that, but that should always be the aim to give the club the best chance possible to be successful in the present and the future.

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not just talking about local juniors though, clubs are recruiting SG ball players from interstate these days and that's what we need to be doing and constantly ontop of.

You bring up the issue of not having key players coming through, well if that' the case then there's a problem within the recruitment and development system that needs to be addressed.

We should always aim to try and get the best kids possible in each and every position no matter who is in the firstgrade squad. Obviously you can't always get the best, but if clubs are doing a good job then things should even themselves out.

You might not have a gun half coming through for a year or two but you have a couple of good young forwards and a winger, that should be enough to fill gaps in your roster and potentially move on a big name so you can then reinvest it into the halves where your lacking. Obviously it won't always work out as well as that, but that should always be the aim to give the club the best chance possible to be successful in the present and the future.
And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what CA is doing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.