9 bias - other fans agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our club will not die out or drop in sponsorship because of the media.

The Sharks have been hammered by the media this year and they are still around. Even the Todd Carney incident had a sponsor knocking on their door and the media were all over that incident. Their board handled it well and they were fine.

If we are up against it anywhere it is out on the field, and out there the media don't mean squat. The last time they hammered us mercilessly we won the comp (2004)
Yep, it's very important to have a good board, I agree 100%. What your example also says implicitly is that if it wasn't for the negative public image, the pressure to have a strong board wouldn't be so high. It's all well and good to say "F*ck the media, if you have a strong board it doesn't matter" but why would we just accept extra pressure on our club? What if there is a time when the board isn't strong but the media is slandering us?

I get it - the media are sh*t. I don't understand why you would argue so strongly for doing n*thing about it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the rare appearance of John Grant last night?

He only seems to appear when theres grandstanding to be done, before retiring into his little NRL hideout for another year.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep, it's very important to have a good board, I agree 100%. What your example also says implicitly is that if it wasn't for the negative public image, the pressure to have a strong board wouldn't be so high. It's all well and good to say "F*ck the media, if you have a strong board it doesn't matter" but why would we just accept extra pressure on our club? What if there is a time when the board isn't strong but the media is slandering us?

I get it - the media are sh*t. I don't understand why you would argue so strongly for doing n*thing about it.
I think it's just the angle of discussion he has chosen to take,
I think deep down he would stand shoulder to shoulder with us if push came to shove to defend our club,
I think he is assuming the kennel to be a private area of bulldogs fans to discuss issues, and is taking the opposed view for the purpose of discussion,
And that is all very well and good, and what is required to continue discussion on any forum for any topic,

His involvement has paved the way for guys such as yourself to express some very good points,

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Did anyone notice the rare appearance of John Grant last night?

He only seems to appear when theres grandstanding to be done, before retiring into his little NRL hideout for another year.
can you elaborate so I can put 2 and 2 together and see the relevance that has on this topic,

I am not being a smart ass, I have clearly missed to connection.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Now I'm not usually one to buy into conspiracy, but I do believe Souths CEO, Russell Crowell, the NRL chiefs, Channel Nine commentators and Telegraph journalists have all conspired to promote Souths for 'the Good of the Game' or to push the Rabbitohs brand to a global scale. Expansion of the game to increase revenue is at the forefront of Greenburg mind. He is all about presentation. Couldnt have scripted it better in the end - what a showpiece to sell to the world and It's possible investors.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score

It's not so much I argue for doing nothing about it, it's just that it's been this way for hundreds of years and there really is not a lot that can be done about it other than having a strong board to overcome what the media do.

The Bulldogs club are hardly the first brand in history to have the media print a heap of negative stuff about them. It is a constant theme from the media and has been ever since media was invented,

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Now I'm not usually one to buy into conspiracy, but I do believe Souths CEO, Russell Crowell, the NRL chiefs, Channel Nine commentators and Telegraph journalists have all conspired to promote Souths for 'the Good of the Game' or to push the Rabbitohs brand to a global scale. Expansion of the game to increase revenue is at the forefront of Greenburg mind. He is all about presentation. Couldnt have scripted it better in the end - what a showpiece to sell to the world and It's possible investors.
Yes, true and the topic of discussion is that it was ultimately at our expense and as pointed out has been at our expense right through the season when you look back.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
If we as a club spend too much of our time and energy into fighting the media we will lose. Even with the advent of social media, the power they still wield is too strong.

As a club we just need to have a strong board and be prepared for anything they throw.

If anyone has been following what has been happening at Essendon in the AFL, you can see the problems with trying to fight and not having a strong board. Essendon went the fight route and they have been hammered in the Melbourne media (one of my mates is a die-hard Essendon fan and has shown me some of the stories) and they are not winning the battle. If their board had chosen the right paths at the beginning they would be in a much better place now. As it currently stands they are screwed if they get the show cause notices, while the Sharks who handled the situation well despite the negative media have come out of it fairly unscathed.

It sucks I know, but you cannot win against the media, they love a fight as it makes them more money, and the more money they have the more powerful they are. It's a losing battle and you need to focus on other ways to enhance your brand, just like Greenburg did when he turned us around. He didn't do it by fighting the media.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Don't think you have to be a conspiracy theorist to buy into anything about yesterday, it wasn't even attempted to be hidden. I watched the game with a mate who's a bronco's boy and he was gagging on the one sided everything. Was hard to lose but also hurt to be let down by the governing body buying into who should win. Felt alienated by the NRL on a day where they should be promoting both teams and footy in general.....they are disgusting. The coverage was beyond poor and those of you who missed it lucked out bigtime, luckily FOX played all the other games during the day so I could avoid CH9. I have a lot more running through my head but what's the point really?

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL ,Channel Nine and the Tell You Crap could not care less what we think as long as they are making money, Rugby League is a business. I think the only way they will get the message is if we all stop buying KFC ( not to mention less video ref calls, only reason they keep going upstairs is to get the KFC add on) Don't bet with Sports Bet , don't buy the Telegraph or any other sponsors product and MAYBE they will change their ways, although I doubt it.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
CH9's coverage was disgraceful. ANZ Stadium's entire presentation before the game was even more disgraceful.

You'd be forgiven for thinking only one side was there last night. I feel sorry for all Bulldogs fans that went out there and paid a fortune to watch that horror show.
yep. Comments from people who actually went to the game and payed their hard earned dollars reinforce what you said.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from the commentators' bias (which I expected), I hated that 9 skipped to ads at the very worst times. Every time!

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aside from the commentators' bias (which I expected), I hated that 9 skipped to ads at the very worst times. Every time!
The worst part of the coverage for mine was that they were constantly pointing the camera at sattler in the box when the game was actually going on. We actually missed a penalty at one point because ray and Gould were fellating sattler.

i am all for promoting the history of the game. And I don't care what they point the camera at. WHEN THE BALL IS NOT IN PLAY. That gave me the shits more than anything.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Again, who are these people that are being driven away? It was the highest rating GF in a while (beat the AFL GF). The crowd was the biggest since the ANZ stadium re-config.

Looks like plenty are watching
Agree, plenty are watching. But if they had a choice of channels, how many would watch Ch.9?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most media personalities live in the Eastern Suburbs and find it cool to associate themselves with the old battlers of Redfern. They don't understand the game, but understand a popularity fest. Canterbury-Bankstown is not flavour of the month, but does fit the bill of the nasty club everyone wants to beat.

As we know, when the media believes it has a good story it becomes an unstoppable juggernaut.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, plenty are watching. But if they had a choice of channels, how many would watch Ch.9?
Well I watched the first two games on fox. The coverage was much better than I expect from channel 9.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus Gould and Andrew Johns are the ones I cant stand. Use to love both but they just go on and on about nothing important. Always about refs, fans or celebs. I'd rather them focus on the game.

Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling and Ray Warren aren't that bad.

Fittler is bad during Roosters games, otherwise is ok.

I would love them to get rid of Gould and replace him with someone like Voss.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, Channel 9 continuing their classy coverage of Souths fans, has apparently just shown a Souths fan dropping his dacks and waving his anatomy around on the National news.

CHUCKYBOY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have said this before and will do so again. The NRL does not care about anything except the $$$$$$. This was worked out well before kick off, and if you still do not believe that it is a big corrupt business well think again. Just watch the replay and see how many bad calls went against us. And in saying that, we did start poorly but were never given the chance to get back into the game. I too feel sorry for the Bulldogs team and us fans who spend a lot of their hard earned money every year. Thats what the NRL wants. But who knows what goes on behind closed doors. There is no fairness in this game anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.