9 bias - other fans agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea I do, but what I am saying also is that it will never change, and to be honest I don't think it needs to.

Souths were the story of this GF, if you can't accept that then that is fine, but I can completely see why they would want to focus on what was the major story of the GF.

They never once bagged out our club or showed it a lack of respect, they just decided to focus on what the majority of the Rugby League following people would have wanted to see and hear. Whether we like it or not most neutrals were hoping Souths could win.

I watched most of the day and they crossed to Belmore many times and spoke to Turvey and a did some good stuff on the Bulldogs, but our story did match Souths story and that surely cannot be denied
All good points,
And I have nothing against them using the souths history, and the 43 year drought for souths are an aid to hype up the grand final,

But it was all way over the top, and the dogs were shown disrespect by the event organisers at anz and Chanel 9 for not doing enough to equally hype up our proud history,

I thought I was just being a sore loser,
But after reading what other fans are saying, it's clear the majority of league fans felt the same as me,

Do yourself a favour, get on the silver tails,
The sharks forever, and the chooks fan pages and see for yourself.
Some of the articulate it much better than I do,

And coming from impartial opposition fans it must add more weight to my argument I would think?

jamescairns2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You have to understand it's not a sport anymore, its a business. We aren't teams anymore, we are brands.

This year they pushed the Souths brand.
Good point. But the NRL is also a brand, and bias conduct is bad for credibility.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Very well said. Even if we don't like it, we can hardly blame a business for trying to do what will help it make more money
Except if it drives fans away as a result it is in fact having the opposite affect,
If you hear what many are saying, it is driving many away from our game unfortunately.
And that is not good for business now is it?

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Good point. But the NRL is also a brand, and bias conduct is bad for credibility.
NRL is a business that is about making money, Souths story was always going to give them more exposure than our story. We just need to accept it for what it is.

Souths win a few in the next couple of years and the story won't be the same. It's just business

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Except if it drives fans away as a result it is in fact having the opposite affect,
If you hear what many are saying, it is driving many away from our game unfortunately.
And that is not good for business now is it?
Who are these fans that are stopping watching the game because of this? I know of not a single one of my friends that will not watch next year because of what happened with the coverage

Also it was one of the highest rating GF's ever. Not too bad for fans that aren't watching

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I didn't say it was a professional business.

Plus they are an monopoly, they have no competition. It's not like we can watch another rugby league competition.

jamescairns2

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
NRL is a business that is about making money, Souths story was always going to give them more exposure than our story. We just need to accept it for what it is.

Souths win a few in the next couple of years and the story won't be the same. It's just business
I don't blame them for pushing South's story over ours, it was smart. But I think there was a line and they crossed it.

Doesn't matter now haha. Don't have to hear anymore of the South's wankfest next year (as much)

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

I disagree,
I think the over the top beat up of the souths story is having the opposite affect and driving people away from the game,
Was the same with the sbw rubbish they went on with when he returned,

I think they have the right idea when it comes to using these things to market the game,
But I think they are executing it all wrong and that is what is driving people away.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I disagree,
I think the over the top beat up of the souths story is having the opposite affect and driving people away from the game,
Was the same with the sbw rubbish they went on with when he returned,

I think they have the right idea when it comes to using these things to market the game,
But I think they are executing it all wrong and that is what is driving people away.
Again, who are these people that are being driven away? It was the highest rating GF in a while (beat the AFL GF). The crowd was the biggest since the ANZ stadium re-config.

Looks like plenty are watching

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't blame them for pushing South's story over ours, it was smart. But I think there was a line and they crossed it.

Doesn't matter now haha. Don't have to hear anymore of the South's wankfest next year (as much)
I agree,
Nothing wrong with using story's such as this or others to promote the game,
But the execution was all wrong and too over the top with only marginal at best shown to the dogs,
And that is what has us discussing this today and other fans as well.

dean_aus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I paid for myself and my family to go out there yesterday to watch "South Sydney" day. Playing Glory Glory before the game was ridiculous and so was the fact that there were no pass outs

Ticket prices doubled since 2012 and that year all of the outside of ANZ was fenced off with music and food stalls. This year the patrons were herded like sheep inside the ground without being able to go outside and buy some food from the food stalls.

Last time we go out photo with bobcat at the triple m stand but this year once you were in you couldn't go back outside to see them.

I guess with Crowe they do what they want. Chime the bell south sydney day has arrived.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Again, who are these people that are being driven away? It was the highest rating GF in a while (beat the AFL GF). The crowd was the biggest since the ANZ stadium re-config.

Looks like plenty are watching
I know of plenty who have crossed over to soccer and afl who are over all the rubbish,
And many who like me endure it because we love the game and our team,
Why should us fans endure it, the media hype and marketing should be designed and executed to have all fans feeling excited and upbeat, not one side enjoying the moment and the other enduring over the top bias against them

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I paid for myself and my family to go out there yesterday to watch "South Sydney" day. Playing Glory Glory before the game was ridiculous and so was the fact that there were no pass outs

Ticket prices doubled since 2012 and that year all of the outside of ANZ was fenced off with music and food stalls. This year the patrons were herded like sheep inside the ground without being able to go outside and buy some food from the food stalls.

Last time we go out photo with bobcat at the triple m stand but this year once you were in you couldn't go back outside to see them.

I guess with Crowe they do what they want. Chime the bell south sydney day has arrived.
That's what it really felt like at the game, one big South Sydney fan day, and us dogs were there just to provide the necessary opposition.

That's what really hurts, and why I call it a total lack of respect.

Symm

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yea I do, but what I am saying also is that it will never change, and to be honest I don't think it needs to.

Souths were the story of this GF, if you can't accept that then that is fine, but I can completely see why they would want to focus on what was the major story of the GF.

They never once bagged out our club or showed it a lack of respect, they just decided to focus on what the majority of the Rugby League following people would have wanted to see and hear. Whether we like it or not most neutrals were hoping Souths could win.

I watched most of the day and they crossed to Belmore many times and spoke to Turvey and a did some good stuff on the Bulldogs, but our story did match Souths story and that surely cannot be denied
Disagree with you here, Cammo. I agree that it's a business and that explains why Ch9 run biased commentary but that doesn't mean we have to smile while swallowing their s**t sandwich. It was a common theme all through the finals - Ch 9 cheering home the other team, commentating from the perspective of that other team, interpreting any 50/50 (and 60/40?) calls in favour of the opposition.

It's not pleasant to have to listen to, it constantly portrays our club in a bad light and it actually causes us harm in the long run due to the public perception of the club.

That's why it needs to change.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
I know of plenty who have crossed over to soccer and afl who are over all the rubbish,
And many who like me endure it because we love the game and our team,
Why should us fans endure it, the media hype and marketing should be designed and executed to have all fans feeling excited and upbeat, not one side enjoying the moment and the other enduring over the top bias against them
Soccer and AFL are just as bad so crossing over to them is not going to help. Sport in general is a business and run by media. The Wanderers story in the A-League has caused the same discussions about bias.

When the Swans made the GF a while back and trying to break their drought there was the same discussions about bias.

It is not solely a Rugby League problem, it is ingrained in sport and if you want to follow sport you have to learn to accept it and not let it bother you. That is what I have done and that is why I don't care, I understand the business reasons behind what the media do. Doesn't mean I like it, but I accept and understand it.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Disagree with you here, Cammo. I agree that it's a business and that explains why Ch9 run biased commentary but that doesn't mean we have to smile while swallowing their s**t sandwich. It was a common theme all through the finals - Ch 9 cheering home the other team, commentating from the perspective of that other team, interpreting any 50/50 (and 60/40?) calls in favour of the opposition.

It's not pleasant to have to listen to, it constantly portrays our club in a bad light and it actually causes us harm in the long run due to the public perception of the club.

Thank you for this post,
I only wish I could articulate my thoughts better, as you have done here, it would have saved me and others on here a lot of posts,

It's been so evident that it's really upset me to be honest,
I know, I know, pass the tissues,
But I love our club, or fans and our history, and I can not accept playing second fiddle to any club under any circumstances, and that is exactly what has been occurring as you have so well pointed out over a long period of time now,
And frankly it has to stop,

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score

If we were the club trying to break a 43 year drought we would have been the major story. My Grandfather told me about how in 1980 the whole focus was on the Bulldogs for the GF and how we were going to end our drought.

It happens, I am actually a little surprised that people seem to have not been expecting it. I sure as hell was.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
CH9's coverage was disgraceful. ANZ Stadium's entire presentation before the game was even more disgraceful.

You'd be forgiven for thinking only one side was there last night. I feel sorry for all Bulldogs fans that went out there and paid a fortune to watch that horror show.
It was a very ordinary day mate. The overwhelming joy i felt in 2012 was amazing, tears of joy near flowing for what we had achieved to get there and what we were all hoping would be. The prematch hype with Good Charlotte in 2012 was 10x better then the crap they dished out yesterday, Slash is a great guitarist however the backing track...... so bloody shit and Train were sub par, looked like he was lip-syncing from the crowd view and those ****ing shit drummers.... top it off with the pre-match Souths hype and the day was a disaster.... I will always go to the GF when our Doggies are there as I am not missing out on potential history, but boy did yesterdays event send me broke and in hindsight it was not worth it at all :(.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Soccer and AFL are just as bad so crossing over to them is not going to help. Sport in general is a business and run by media. The Wanderers story in the A-League has caused the same discussions about bias.

When the Swans made the GF a while back and trying to break their drought there was the same discussions about bias.

It is not solely a Rugby League problem, it is ingrained in sport and if you want to follow sport you have to learn to accept it and not let it bother you. That is what I have done and that is why I don't care, I understand the business reasons behind what the media do. Doesn't mean I like it, but I accept and understand it.
I do get what you are saying, I really do despite my continued harping on against it,
I am harping on for a few reasons,
Firstly I don't, won't and can't accept it as a die hard dogs fan who loves our club,
Secondly I don't think it really does much to promote the game as a whole if it is bringing down a club in the process,

Status
Not open for further replies.