Opinion 2021… The year where Rugby League died in Australia

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't expect any changes. V'landys ego is too big to admit to any wrongdoing or mistakes. The only way things will change is if he's fired due to ratings and attendances dropping so markedly that they're losing millions of dollars.

Even then it will be tough to get rid of him as he has the media as his propaganda machine perpetually defending him and every horrible decision he makes whereas they all hammered Greenberg incessantly until he was fired.

I've done my part by cancelling Kayo and not watching any non Bulldogs games or programs. I urge everyone that's opposed to V'landys Rugba League to do the same and eventually changes will be made and we'll get the game back to where it should be.

I can't believe so many people hate the new rules, yet continue to watch despite the blowout scores and farcical refereeing.
Did you see the interview last week with Matt Johns & Singo? It was a PVL love fest.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like this may be by unpopular opinion, but I love the product to be honest and enjoying the speed of the game, I like the fact the ruck has sped up, we’re not waiting 5mins to pack a scrum and six again rule replaces a 2 minute wait for a penalty kick for touch…the rule also creates fatigue paving opportunities for the little guy.

The NRL had to do something regarding head-shots and ruck wrestling, it was becoming standard to hit a bloke around the chops and grapple tackle players mirroring something out of WWE.

It’s well documented the NRL would be fighting an ugly law suit if they didn’t crack down on the high shots in particular and it’s now more appealing than ever for parents to introduce their children to the game knowing safety is paramount, Rugby League had to shake off the “thug-life” tag.

In saying that, the NRLs interpretation has been super inconsistent and that is causing MAJOR problems… it’s simple for me, any contact with the head with force is 10mins or a send off depending on reckless vs intent. Anything else considered material contact to the head with mid-level force just a penalty. If no or minimal contact is made no penalty, however, if the player stays down in this situation, the defending team should get the penalty.

Anyone watching the game on Sunday would also admit we deliberately slowed down the ruck and admittedly, we took it way too far, the issue we have and TB has is this wasn’t policed equally.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you see the interview last week with Matt Johns & Singo? It was a PVL love fest.
Nah I didn’t. But it doesn't surprise me. They all talk about him like he's the second coming. It's pathetic.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm so inflation is rising so significantly that the Fed recently walked back their statement that they weren't going to raise interest rates, you'd expect far more jobs coming out of a pandemic but if you pay people $50k to stay home, why would they work? Why wouldn't all the Europeans welcome him on the World stage? He didn't tell them to pay what they owed like Trump did & they can push him around. And how embarrassing was he at the G7? At one stage he stopped mid sentence for 10 seconds whilst they re-set his brain (or was it the ear piece telling him what he needed to say? And how's that border going? The population of Canberra coming over every month & not getting checked for COVID & keeping kids in cages but not letting the media see them. Hard line of China??? That's a good one. Why did he cancel the investigation into the origins of COVID started by the previous administration & put in his own people? He & Hunter have accepted millions from China (& other countries including Russia) why would they want to hurt them? Oh and do you want to buy a painting from Hunter for $500k without anybody knowing your doing it? His painting is done by blowing through a straw LOL. How corrupt is that family? Also why has the DIA keeping a Chinese defector AWAY from the other intelligence agencies under Biden? Because he has Terrabytes of information on how corrupt the Bidens are.
I read widely, and watch various US based programs, so don't get all my info from the one site that fits my personal view of the world.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Despite their denials score blow outs are a big problem for the NRL and most particularly the broadcasters. The undeniable fact is those teams' fans on the wrong end week after week of 30, 40, 50 point losses are simply losing interest very rapidly. Not just in their own teams games but the other NRL games as well.

Personally I have a particular problem with the set restart rule, in their 10 metre zone the team with the ball benefits next to nothing from set restarts on tackle 1 or 2 or often even 3. Their opposition savagely encroaches on the 10 meters knowing that the actual cost of getting penalised is next to zero. But the benefit they gain is much greater, they maintain field position and wear the opposition down trying to get out of their red zone. There is not enough room to have a backline spread and any handling mistake is heavily punished. Their only course is one out running, almost always one pass from the dummy half, trying to gain at least some field position before attempting a long kick on the 5th. This makes defending much easier than it should be, with very little energy being used in defence with only players close to the ruck required to tackle. Compared to a lot of energy, nervous energy, being used up by the team desperately trying to get some field position.

In simple terms the punishment doesn't fit the crime, or more accurately the benefit gained from the crime. The answer is simple, an infringement in the opposition 10/20 metre zone should be a penalty not a set restart. That would discourage the practise, obviously instigated by some coaches, and help alleviate the scourge of teams being "trapped in the red zone" by appropriately penalising deliberately offside opposition players, set after set.

Always a Bulldog
And the reverse is that the team bottled up on their line gets a kick away on the 5th, which is quickly brought back into their half, and the attacking team is gifted repeat sets on the try line. It's very easy for referees to find defenders with a foot over the line when the attacking side is less than ten metres from the try line. Eventually, one of the defenders is binned for repeat infringements - as Jackson was.

The dominant team has the advantage of crowding out their opponents, then having a glut of possession to wear them down.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like this may be by unpopular opinion, but I love the product to be honest and enjoying the speed of the game, I like the fact the ruck has sped up, we’ree not waiting 5mins to pack a scrum and six again rule replaces a 2 minute wait for a penalty kick for touch…the rule also creates fatigue paving opportunities for the little guy.

The NRL had to do something regarding head-shots and ruck wrestling, it was becoming standard to hit a bloke around the chops and grapple tackle players mirroring something out of WWE.

It’s well documented the NRL would be fighting an ugly law suit if they didn’t crack down on the high shots in particular and it’s now more appealing than ever for parents to introduce their children to the game knowing safety is paramount, Rugby League had to shake off the “thug-life” tag.

In saying that, the NRLs interpretation has been super inconsistent and that is causing MAJOR problems… it’s simple for me, any contact with the head with force is 10mins or a send off depending on reckless vs intent. Anything else considered material contact to the head with mid-level force just a penalty. If no or minimal contact is made no penalty, however, if the player stays down in this situation, the defending team should get the penalty.

Anyone watching the game on Sunday would also admit we deliberately slowed down the ruck and admittedly, we took it way too far, the issue we have and TB has is this wasn’t policed equally.
You are falling for the Vlandys spin, he continues to deliberately change the point of the discussion away from what the vast majority of fans hate (countless set restarts, often for unknown reasons, embarrassing score blow outs, etc). This has absolutely no relationship with stamping down on head high tackles but whenever the debate gets too hot on rule changes he moves straight to "protecting the players" and changes the discussion.

Just because we hate set restarts doesn't mean that we don't like the crack down on deliberate (emphasis on the "deliberate") head high tackles. They are completely separate issues and should be looked at in that way.

Always a Bulldog

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I read widely, and watch various US based programs, so don't get all my info from the one site that fits my personal view of the world.
Apparently you watch all left wing programming which supports a man who "wakes up every morning & wonders where he is". That's a quote from Joe Biden himself, but you wouldn't have heard / watched it from your sources. :grinning:

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently you watch all left wing programming which supports a man who "wakes up every morning & wonders where he is". That's a quote from Joe Biden himself, but you wouldn't have heard / watched it from your sources. :grinning:

Head over to the US Politics thread for this stuff, this is the footy part of the forum.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For the 1st time ever im growing bored of the game due to all the bullshit changes , fuck if i didn't bet on it i would switch it off. Maybe im the one with the problem

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
blame the rules, blame the refs, any conspiracy is on the table, except for roster management, coaching staff, etc.
I don't know who you're directing that at but most of us are saying it's corrupt in general, not just against us. We don't need the refs help to lose, they just make it easier for us.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The set starts last year worked well but the extra ones this year, along with the increase in sin bins, has seen momentum swings like never before. The video ref's involvement is inconsistent and the ref's boss now blames ref's for not considering mitigating factors in high shots, after saying there were no mitigating factors! Why the fuck are blokes being sin binned for attackers tripping and head-butting their forearms 3 feet off the ground?

It's starting to look ugly, plus we're losing and coming last, so it's actually completely fucked.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

I watch multiple programs, so don't ad hominem. You might want to look at the David Packman program to get an update on the multiple legal indictments that Trump is busy getting ready to face.

The recent G7 confirmed Biden as the legitimate president of the USA when world leaders recognised him as such - including Scomo.

The reason Trump is still pretending he won is that he desperately needs the protection that the Office of President gave him.

He deferred a lot of legal challenges while he was president, but he doesn't have that protection now, and they're coming for him.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watch multiple programs, so don't ad hominem. You might want to look at the David Packman program to get an update on the multiple legal indictments that Trump is busy getting ready to face.

The recent G7 confirmed Biden as the legitimate president of the USA when world leaders recognised him as such - including Scomo.

The reason Trump is still pretending he won is that he desperately needs the protection that the Office of President gave him.

He deferred a lot of legal challenges while he was president, but he doesn't have that protection now, and they're coming for him.
So you think it is fantastic that someone can be investigated to find a crime? Anybody who believes that is a communist lunatic. They are investigating a man not a crime. Why didn't Robert Mueller find anything? They went through everything including his finances. The New York DA Letita James ran for office saying she would find a crime to put on Trump. She should never be given a job in Justice for that alone.

Sorry but I won't look at Packman being a progressive lunatic. Communism has caused so many problems over the last century at the cost of millions of lives & they still want to do it.

Just because a group of left wingers want Biden in as President doesn't mean he is there legitimately. And Scomo is a dead loss. The only reason he is in there is because the alternatives are far worse. Finally there are some election audits being conducted & the finds are astounding. Check out what is happening in Arizona & Georgia for instance. The pillow guy Mike Lindell is currently being sued by Dominion who ran the machines during the election. Others who have been sued were scared of the amount they were being sued for & apologised but not Mike. He has evidence that the machines were hacked. Exhibit 12 shows a grand total of 555,864 votes alleged switched through manipulation of the voting machines. 202,657 in Michigan; 188,078 in Pennsylvania; 70,524 in Wisconsin; 47,372 in Arizona; and 47,233 in Georgia. Discovery is a bitch!

I suppose you didn't see the other G7 leaders laughing at Biden when he said stupid things or when he got lost there as well. I feel sorry for him - it's elder abuse. The poor bloke has had 2 parts of his brain removed & it's affecting him badly now. The scary part is ho is really leading the US? It's certainly not Biden.

So tell me how Trump "deferred deferred a lot of legal challenges while he was president"? He has no power in that regard. However a President cannot be charged with a crime whilst in office because that's exactly what the Democrats would do. Make him spend all his term defending frivolous law suits & not allowing him to govern. It's a Democrat tactic that they use before elections.

If Biden is the great leader as you say, then why did he deny help to Texas (twice) when they declared a state of emergency? People died when their power went out because Biden wouldn't help. And now more people are dying because he has opened the border to Mexico. And what about that meeting Kamala had with the President of Guatemala? She was there allegedly to find the route causes of why people are leaving there to go to the US. You know what he told her? He said that Biden invited them. LOL.

The whole presidency is a far bigger joke than our RNL team has been over the last few years.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you think it is fantastic that someone can be investigated to find a crime? Anybody who believes that is a communist lunatic. They are investigating a man not a crime. Why didn't Robert Mueller find anything? They went through everything including his finances. The New York DA Letita James ran for office saying she would find a crime to put on Trump. She should never be given a job in Justice for that alone.

Sorry but I won't look at Packman being a progressive lunatic. Communism has caused so many problems over the last century at the cost of millions of lives & they still want to do it.

Just because a group of left wingers want Biden in as President doesn't mean he is there legitimately. And Scomo is a dead loss. The only reason he is in there is because the alternatives are far worse. Finally there are some election audits being conducted & the finds are astounding. Check out what is happening in Arizona & Georgia for instance. The pillow guy Mike Lindell is currently being sued by Dominion who ran the machines during the election. Others who have been sued were scared of the amount they were being sued for & apologised but not Mike. He has evidence that the machines were hacked. Exhibit 12 shows a grand total of 555,864 votes alleged switched through manipulation of the voting machines. 202,657 in Michigan; 188,078 in Pennsylvania; 70,524 in Wisconsin; 47,372 in Arizona; and 47,233 in Georgia. Discovery is a bitch!

I suppose you didn't see the other G7 leaders laughing at Biden when he said stupid things or when he got lost there as well. I feel sorry for him - it's elder abuse. The poor bloke has had 2 parts of his brain removed & it's affecting him badly now. The scary part is ho is really leading the US? It's certainly not Biden.

So tell me how Trump "deferred deferred a lot of legal challenges while he was president"? He has no power in that regard. However a President cannot be charged with a crime whilst in office because that's exactly what the Democrats would do. Make him spend all his term defending frivolous law suits & not allowing him to govern. It's a Democrat tactic that they use before elections.

If Biden is the great leader as you say, then why did he deny help to Texas (twice) when they declared a state of emergency? People died when their power went out because Biden wouldn't help. And now more people are dying because he has opened the border to Mexico. And what about that meeting Kamala had with the President of Guatemala? She was there allegedly to find the route causes of why people are leaving there to go to the US. You know what he told her? He said that Biden invited them. LOL.

The whole presidency is a far bigger joke than our RNL team has been over the last few years.
Read more widely, and look at independent sites for your answers. Gish Galloping a raft of right wing propaganda at me won't change my opinion of Trump, nor gloss over the facts about him.

Biden is not perfect; but Biden is the legitimate president of the USA. I don't care what insults are thrown at him, nor do I care whether Trump still believes he is the president of the USA. Trump is facing charges, and they are legitimate charges. Watch and see.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Love the game how’s its going. Will take players a couple of years to tune there bodies to added pace of game. So much more exciting, the games never over these days. If anyone thinks it’s only league struggling with new rules, watch a game of afl. There game has become a massive bore. There officials are interpreting rules and making mistakes more so than league.
Interesting because I find these non competitive blown out games a complete bore.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Read more widely, and look at independent sites for your answers. Gish Galloping a raft of right wing propaganda at me won't change my opinion of Trump, nor gloss over the facts about him.

Biden is not perfect; but Biden is the legitimate president of the USA. I don't care what insults are thrown at him, nor do I care whether Trump still believes he is the president of the USA. Trump is facing charges, and they are legitimate charges. Watch and see.
Biden's not perfect LOL. He is one of the most corrupt politicians ever. You didn't answer my question. Do you think it is OK to find a crime on someone without first having a basis to investigate them?

What about Joe who admitted corruption with Ukraine money? It was also backed up with his son's laptop with his emails. And yes it was his laptop, why else would Hunter's lawyer ask for it back & why would Hunter sign the docket when dropping it off?

And we shall see what happens with the election audits. 555,000 votes is a LOT that were switched let alone how many dead people voted. And the machines couldn't possibly have processed as many votes as was said to have been processed in the time span. And why were so many laws illegally changed by Democrats right before the election?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Biden's not perfect LOL. He is one of the most corrupt politicians ever. You didn't answer my question. Do you think it is OK to find a crime on someone without first having a basis to investigate them?

What about Joe who admitted corruption with Ukraine money? It was also backed up with his son's laptop with his emails. And yes it was his laptop, why else would Hunter's lawyer ask for it back & why would Hunter sign the docket when dropping it off?

And we shall see what happens with the election audits. 555,000 votes is a LOT that were switched let alone how many dead people voted. And the machines couldn't possibly have processed as many votes as was said to have been processed in the time span. And why were so many laws illegally changed by Democrats right before the election?
They are all unsubstantiated accusations made by Trump and his followers. Not an ounce of evidence, just the standard make an accusation, see it in print, then use the printed report as "proof". Repeat, repeat, repeat until the true believers accept it as fact.

Claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. And they have all been foundless.

Where was the evidence about Hilary Clinton? Why wasn't she locked up as Trump promised to do? Because it was all fake, just like the accusations about Biden, and the false stories of voter fraud. Trump challenged all those so called fraudulent votes - even had his own Republical governors investigate them, and not one of the accusations stood up. His own legal team refused to claim fraud when in court, because the law doesn't deal in spin; it deals in evidence. There are tapes of him trying to coerce Republican governors to fake votes; but they had higher morals than him.

The only dead people's votes, turned out to be two votes, and they were both for Trump.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They are all unsubstantiated accusations made by Trump and his followers. Not an ounce of evidence, just the standard make an accusation, see it in print, then use the printed report as "proof". Repeat, repeat, repeat until the true believers accept it as fact.

Claims without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. And they have all been foundless.

Where was the evidence about Hilary Clinton? Why wasn't she locked up as Trump promised to do? Because it was all fake, just like the accusations about Biden, and the false stories of voter fraud. Trump challenged all those so called fraudulent votes - even had his own Republican governors investigate them, and not one of the accusations stood up. His own legal team refused to claim fraud when in court, because the law doesn't deal in spin; it deals in evidence. There are tapes of him trying to coerce Republican governors to fake votes; but they had higher morals than him.

The only dead people's votes, turned out to be two votes, and they were both for Trump.
OK here's Biden admitting his corruption to protect the prosecutor who was investigating his son:

As for Hilary, why did she break laws by having a home made server for her emails & then Bleachbit the server? The Russians AND China had them. Unfortunately we know the DOJ & FBI were corrupt. To prove it, listen to Jim Comey go through the list of her crimes:

Election Fraud - There were actually only 2 law suits that went to court about election fraud brought by Trump & his team. Both were dismissed for a lack of standing & did not have any evidence presented to them. I guess you also think that there isn't any such thing as corrupt judges either. The stupid thing in the US is they are appointed politically & the Democrats have a proven record of putting in their own people whereas the Republicans generally put in people who are true to the constitution.

watch this video by Mike Lindell to get a good view of the evidence.

There are law suits ongoing. Did you know that there is a forensic audit going on in Maricopa County in Arizona? Audit was due to finish 26/6/21. They have found countless errors so far & every step was streamed lived for all to witness.

Pennsylvania & Georgia are both looking like they will do the same.

These things take time & the Democrats are putting every road block in place to delay everything. If they have nothing to hide, then why block it?

Here's the infamous video of Ruby Freeman running the same ballots through several times:

Apart from the corrupt Georgia Governor which republican Governor looked at evidence & said there was none?

Where is your evidence that Trump coerced Governors to fake votes? An outlandish claim not backed up like everything you say.

Why is Biden allowing sex trafficking, drug trafficking & gun trafficking though the border? Does he get a cut of the $14M a day that the cartels are making? You know like in the Hunter emails 10% for H for the big guy? It was Hunter's laptop & it proves corruption.

Everybody in the world should be angered by what is happening on the US southern border. Would you like you family members trafficked in this way? If you accept it, you support it!

You have made lots of claims but don't back anything up!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alzz is spot on. The game is hard to watch now. The rule changes and inflexible high tackle interpretations have turned the game into a wholly too predictable rout.
The six agains are a nightmare. Completely random and totally subjective. Every player tackling has their hand on the ball, otherwise the markers aren't square or someone in the defensive line isn't back 10mtrs or else holds onto the tackled players for .2 of a second too long for a refs liking. It's totally subjective and thereby it's not skill that determines an outcome....it's referee subjectivism.
There are a number of areas that should be addressed at year end if the game is to keep fans of all clubs interested.
1. The team scoring the try must then kick off...to give the opposing team a turn with the ball. Exactly as is the case in all other games....Eg NFL, NBA, MLB, Soccer, Tennis, Cricket. In all these games you don't get the ball back after scoring...YOU GIVE THE OPPONENTS A CHANCE WITH THE BALL. To not do so is absurd...and makes the game as absurd as it was in the unlimited tackle days.
2. 6 agains are totally subjective and therefore has no place in the game and must go.
3. There must be a limit on how many repeat sets in a row an attacking team gets by simply rolling the ball into the in goal. The ref could say...3 sets in a row are allowed then if the attacking team does it for a 4th time in a row and the defending team defuses it...then the defensive team earns a 20 metre tap or optional restart...for 7 tackles.
These measures ensure a more even spread of possession and make games more competitive for longer.
4. Refs must be given leeway to call an innocuous contact with the head an accident if that's the case. What commentators and obviously the games administrators don't realise is that a supposedly "good" hips, torso or legs tackle can cause a whiplash impact on the head and is thereby just as dangerous as a direct head contact in causing concussion. So if we have zero tolerance for accidental head contact we must have zero tolerance for tackles that cut a player in half or a legs tackle that whiplashes the ball carriers head upon impact.
If we even up possession and allow a good defensive side to tackle effectively without penalising accidental head impacts or whiplash then the game can be returned to the good old days where strong defence was rewarded and your team was assured of a roughly even share of the ball if they don't lose it.