Opinion 2021… The year where Rugby League died in Australia

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the set restart rule and I know the Bulldogs club have made the NRL aware of their unhappiness with it too, as I’m sure other clubs have. I expect a review at seasons end. But whether they modify it or go back to ruck infringement penalties, the cause is 90% the same - ill discipline.

All this talk of referee and NRL corruption and betting companies fixing games is no different to those who say Trump won the election - it’s all dribble with no evidence. Some will call that naive or whatever and I say if you’re going to point the finger, supply the proof.

That all said, no-one wants to see continued 50 point drubbings - but Bulldogs fans must accept the reality - right now we are just not good enough.
Ok we are bottom of the table so it's a fair call we are just not good enough but how do you explain
melb - tigs 66 - 16
Manly- Tits 56 - 24
Penriff - chooks 38 - 12
So are they all sh!t also. Souffs beat the groncos that was expected but at 46 - 0 in Brisbane. Come on it is not just this week it's every fvcking week. There may not be a conspiracy but you have to smell a rat. And if V'landys thinks the game is a better produce because of his new "Rugba Leeg" rules then he's thicker than two short short planks.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Ok we are bottom of the table so it's a fair call we are just not good enough but how do you explain
melb - tigs 66 - 16
Manly- Tits 56 - 24
Penriff - chooks 38 - 12
So are they all sh!t also. Souffs beat the groncos that was expected but at 46 - 0 in Brisbane. Come on it is not just this week it's every fvcking week. There may not be a conspiracy but you have to smell a rat. And if V'landys thinks the game is a better produce because of his new "Rugba Leeg" rules then he's thicker than two short short planks.
As I said (and leaving the Bulldogs aside for a second) - I’m not a fan of the set restart rule - it has clearly proven to be responsible for increased fatigue, probably injury and definitely score blow-outs.
Without a doubt I expect the end of season review to bring some modifications for 2022, but they will likely be spun in a way that doesn’t look like PVL has backed down. Let’s wait and see.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I said (and leaving the Bulldogs aside for a second) - I’m not a fan of the set restart rule - it has clearly proven to be responsible for increased fatigue, probably injury and definitely score blow-outs.
Without a doubt I expect the end of season review to bring some modifications for 2022, but they will likely be spun in a way that doesn’t look like PVL has backed down. Let’s wait and see.
I don't expect any changes. V'landys ego is too big to admit to any wrongdoing or mistakes. The only way things will change is if he's fired due to ratings and attendances dropping so markedly that they're losing millions of dollars.

Even then it will be tough to get rid of him as he has the media as his propoganda machine perpetually defending him and every horrible decision he makes whereas they all hammered Greenberg incessantly until he was fired.

I've done my part by cancelling Kayo and not watching any non Bulldogs games or programs. I urge everyone that's opposed to V'landys Rugba League to do the same snd eventually changes will be made and we'll get the game back to where it should be.

I can't believe so many people hate the new rules, yet continue to watch despite the blowout scores and farcical refereeing.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I don't expect any changes. V'landys ego is too big to admit to any wrongdoing or mistakes. The only way things will change is if he's fired due to ratings and attendances dropping so markedly that they're losing millions of dollars.

Even then it will be tough to get rid of him as he has the media as his propoganda machine perpetually defending him and every horrible decision he makes whereas they all hammered Greenberg incessantly until he was fired.

I've done my part by cancelling Kayo and not watching any non Bulldogs games or programs. I urge everyone that's opposed to V'landys Rugba League to do the same snd eventually changes will be made and we'll get the game back to where it should be.

I can't believe so many people hate the new rules, yet continue to watch despite the blowout scores and farcical refereeing.
Yeah that’s why I said any changes will be spun.
There’s no question PVL has a pretty high opinion of himself, especially after the success of The Everest.

Would be difficult to move him on, he’s not an employee but Chair of the ARLC, which was different to Greenberg who was CEO of the NRL. Previous ARLC Chairs (Grant, Beattie) left of their own accord.

I know the Dogs have expressed discord with the 6-again rule with the NRL and with data to show why. As I was told they got a fair hearing from PVL/Abdo.

I’m sure other struggling clubs are doing the same.

Let’s wait and see what the end of season review brings - our season is dusted anyway.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah that’s why I said any changes will be spun.
There’s no question PVL has a pretty high opinion of himself, especially after the success of The Everest.

Would be difficult to move him on, he’s not an employee but Chair of the ARLC, which was different to Greenberg who was CEO of the NRL. Previous ARLC Chairs (Grant, Beattie) left of their own accord.

I know the Dogs have expressed discord with the 6-again rule with the NRL and with data to show why. As I was told they got a fair hearing from PVL/Abdo.

I’m sure other struggling clubs are doing the same.

Let’s wait and see what the end of season review brings - our season is dusted anyway.
That's the thing that pisses me off most about all of these sudden changes. That the clubs didn't speak out in opposition to them and still don't.

Any rule changes, especially ones as significant as these, should be announced a year or two in advance so clubs can adjust their rosters and prepare accordingly. It should also be voted on by every club so it's all democratic.

As it stands right now the game is run by a dictator who has no background in the sport and makes sweeping rule changes on a whim that have catastrophic ramifications.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Any rule changes, especially ones as significant as these, should be announced a year or two in advance so clubs can adjust their rosters and prepare accordingly. It should also be voted on by every club so it's all democratic.
That’s part of the changes I’m expecting. I don’t think every club could vote, there would never be any agreement on anything. But equally the ‘Innovation Committee’ clearly has flaws.

Let’s take our roster for example.
Great that Thommo has worked out pretty well, but would we sign him on the same terms under the set restart rule? Or re-sign Jacko for 3 years? Jacko is defending like a Trojan but with the current pace of the game won’t last those 3 years. So yes, the impact on squad selection and knock-on effects to the salary cap are real and that’s part of the argument the club has.

Not saying there’s not changes needed, not at all - there are. But equally we still have to get our squad in order and stop blaming some conspiracy on referees and betting agencies because none of that is true.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That’s part of the changes I’m expecting. I don’t think every club could vote, there would never be any agreement on anything. But equally the ‘Innovation Committee’ clearly has flaws.

Let’s take our roster for example.
Great that Thommo has worked out pretty well, but would we sign him on the same terms under the set restart rule? Or re-sign Jacko for 3 years? Jacko is defending like a Trojan but with the current pace of the game won’t last those 3 years. So yes, the impact on squad selection and knock-on effects to the salary cap are real and that’s part of the argument the club has.

Not saying there’s not changes needed, not at all - there are. But equally we still have to get our squad in order and stop blaming some conspiracy on referees and betting agencies because none of that is true.
Like you said though, it's hard to build your squad when the rules are changed mid season. That should never be allowed to happen, no matter who decides on the rule changes.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but there's no doubt the new rules give the refs greater influence than ever on determining the outcome of a game and it favours the stronger teams. A slower paced game allows weaker teams to frustrate the opposition and keep the score closer. A faster paced game with repeated ten tackle sets and not allowing the defensive team to regroup after conceding a penalty just leads to blowout scores which make the game unwatchable.

Even if our 2002 team was playing under these rules and winning by 50 every game, I'd still hate the lack of competition throughout the league and how much the rule changes have ruined the fabric of the game.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Love the game how’s its going. Will take players a couple of years to tune there bodies to added pace of game. So much more exciting, the games never over these days. If anyone thinks it’s only league struggling with new rules, watch a game of afl. There game has become a massive bore. There officials are interpreting rules and making mistakes more so than league.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Like you said though, it's hard to build your squad when the rules are changed mid season. That should never be allowed to happen, no matter who decides on the rule changes.

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but there's no doubt the new rules give the refs greater influence than ever on determining the outcome of a game and it favours the stronger teams. A slower paced game allows weaker teams to frustrate the opposition and keep the score closer. A faster paced game with repeated ten tackle sets and not allowing the defensive team to regroup after conceding a penalty just leads to blowout scores which make the game unwatchable.

Even if our 2002 team was playing under these rules and winning by 50 every game, I'd still hate the lack of competition throughout the league and how much the rule changes have ruined the fabric of the game.
Rules aren’t changed mid-season mate.
Well, not the set restart rule, which has been the main difference this year. The high shot crackdown I guess you could call mid-season and like every other rule some go your way, some don’t.

Yes it’s interesting to call out the slowing down of the play because that’s exactly what Pay was having us do last year. That’s why it’s not right to compare Pay and Baz in terms of ‘regressing’ - the game is quite different this to last year.

Yes I agree no matter which side of the equation you’re on (winning/losing) - it’s a better competition when games are closer and results are less predictable.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rules aren’t changed mid-season mate.
Well, not the set restart rule, which has been the main difference this year. The high shot crackdown I guess you could call mid-season and like every other rule some go your way, some don’t.

Yes it’s interesting to call out the slowing down of the play because that’s exactly what Pay was having us do last year. That’s why it’s not right to compare Pay and Baz in terms of ‘regressing’ - the game is quite different this to last year.

Yes I agree no matter which side of the equation you’re on (winning/losing) - it’s a better competition when games are closer and results are less predictable.
Wasn't the six again rule introduced a few weeks into last season after the lockdown happened?

Either way, a rule like that should be announced two or three years in advance so clubs can prepare their rosters accordingly and players can change their bodies or adjust their games to adapt.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't the six again rule introduced a few weeks into last season after the lockdown happened?

Either way, a rule like that should be announced two or three years in advance so clubs can prepare their rosters accordingly and players can change their bodies or adjust their games to adapt.
Sorry, yeah, you’re right, set restarts was after the Covid shutdown. Which of course means that the Pay ‘slow down the ruck’ tactic was 2019 - can’t believe we’re halfway through 2021 already :-).

Normally the ‘innovation committee’ come up with rule change agreements around November and are announced in pre-season.

But I do agree that a change that can so fundamentally affect your roster and cap needs better planning and a longer gestation time.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Despite their denials score blow outs are a big problem for the NRL and most particularly the broadcasters. The undeniable fact is those teams' fans on the wrong end week after week of 30, 40, 50 point losses are simply losing interest very rapidly. Not just in their own teams games but the other NRL games as well.

Personally I have a particular problem with the set restart rule, in their 10 metre zone the team with the ball benefits next to nothing from set restarts on tackle 1 or 2 or often even 3. Their opposition savagely encroaches on the 10 meters knowing that the actual cost of getting penalised is next to zero. But the benefit they gain is much greater, they maintain field position and wear the opposition down trying to get out of their red zone. There is not enough room to have a backline spread and any handling mistake is heavily punished. Their only course is one out running, almost always one pass from the dummy half, trying to gain at least some field position before attempting a long kick on the 5th. This makes defending much easier than it should be, with very little energy being used in defence with only players close to the ruck required to tackle. Compared to a lot of energy, nervous energy, being used up by the team desperately trying to get some field position.

In simple terms the punishment doesn't fit the crime, or more accurately the benefit gained from the crime. The answer is simple, an infringement in the opposition 10/20 metre zone should be a penalty not a set restart. That would discourage the practise, obviously instigated by some coaches, and help alleviate the scourge of teams being "trapped in the red zone" by appropriately penalising deliberately offside opposition players, set after set.

Always a Bulldog

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Last year I watched most games every week although IMO the game is rigged. I watched most games in RD1 this year. Hated 6 again straight away, then they went down this path with head highs. Blow out scores are embarrassing. Now I turn it off and lose interest within 5 minutes in all games. Some days on the weekend I don't even look to see who's playing. I'm walking out the door on the game, only thing to save me would be a Dogs improvement next year. If it's another "be patient, we will be back 2023 excuse" then I'd say I will be a very distant follower.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I’m not only saying this because I’m a dogs supporter and we are at the bottom, but there was a time where I would watch almost every game with excitement because the product was relatively good… but in the last few year and especially in 2021 the game is barely on life support. I can’t enjoy watching any games these days, not only just ours, its boring and predictable and only 2 teams can win.

Not to mention the rule changes, the laughable calls, the controversy, I go into every game worrying about referees more than my team.
Its a real shame that it has got to this point, but the nrl will never win in the code battle with AFL.
I agree to an extent, but I don't believe that the game is completely dead at the present time. what I believe is that the game is slowly dying, and will within a few years become a minor code to both the AFL and Soccer.
I believe that its partly the fault of players becoming bigger stronger and faster, people may laugh at this but I speak to some who say that RL is now to soft and to much like touch football, while I know of many parents who wont allow their boys to play the game because the game is too rough and hard, and instead turn them to the AFL or Soccer.
The never ending need to continually change its rules is proof that the game has or at least has developed some inherent flaws.
The idea of introducing rules designed to fatigue players, in order to make the game more entertaining has to be one of the most farcical.
IF fatiguing players makes the game more entertaining for fans, the NRL should force players to run a marathon before entering the stadium to play, and the payer who arrive late are not allowed on the field.

Last edited:

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The likes of Penrith and Storm have built their side well and are reaping the benefits. Even the roosters have dealt well with all their injuries. I enjoy their games.

The AFL is only relevant in Melbourne lol. We were ill disciplined in the second half and made mistakes which lead to the eels winning the game.
Actually the AFL is relevant in every state of Australia. They look after the kids and their front office is switched on.

The NRL is fucked at the moment. Stupid knee jerk decisions that ruin the game.

Someone please tell me how these muppets are going to expand the game. The gap between the top teams and the bottom teams is widening. Where are they going to find another 30 players of first grade ability.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know that it's dead, but it's in desperate need of some former players to help run it and restore it to where it should be

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first duty would be telling V'Landys to leave the game to the experts or just fvck off out of it. Grab Annersley by the scruff of the neck and tell him to get his fvcking referees sorted and then revisit the original rules of the game and work out where they fvcked it up and rectify it

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really well by all counts. Economy improving, more jobs, millions vaccinated, welcomed on the world stage with hiscommitment toward zero emmisions, hard line against China.

Trump is looking like an old man having trouble putting his socks on, as he tries to grift his way around the remnants of his supporter base.
Hmm so inflation is rising so significantly that the Fed recently walked back their statement that they weren't going to raise interest rates, you'd expect far more jobs coming out of a pandemic but if you pay people $50k to stay home, why would they work? Why wouldn't all the Europeans welcome him on the World stage? He didn't tell them to pay what they owed like Trump did & they can push him around. And how embarrassing was he at the G7? At one stage he stopped mid sentence for 10 seconds whilst they re-set his brain (or was it the ear piece telling him what he needed to say? And how's that border going? The population of Canberra coming over every month & not getting checked for COVID & keeping kids in cages but not letting the media see them. Hard line of China??? That's a good one. Why did he cancel the investigation into the origins of COVID started by the previous administration & put in his own people? He & Hunter have accepted millions from China (& other countries including Russia) why would they want to hurt them? Oh and do you want to buy a painting from Hunter for $500k without anybody knowing your doing it? His painting is done by blowing through a straw LOL. How corrupt is that family? Also why has the DIA keeping a Chinese defector AWAY from the other intelligence agencies under Biden? Because he has Terrabytes of information on how corrupt the Bidens are.