News ‘You can’t do that’: Barrett demands answers over ‘contentious’ Broncos tries

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serves him right for continuing to pick Okunbor. We would be 2 from 2 right now if we had a competent winger.
We could be 2 from 2 with only 12 men on the field. Given knockonburs Ralph Wigam impersonations of laye

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
And no tackle here. Just to get clarity - the NRL rules. Doesn't look like he was tackled and no one was trying to move him once tackled.

Upright (b) when he is held by one or more opposing players in such a manner that he can make no further progress and cannot part with the ball.

No moving of tackled player 3. Once a player in possession has been tackled it is illegal for any player to move or try to move him from the point where the tackle is effected.

1647854416175.png

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
My god how did they miss that ? .... It's farking blatant.

Hadn't seen that angle before.
whats worse (and I couldn't be fckd going frame by frame) is old mate took it on the inside. Failed on 2 counts.

And I believe that b4 I could take the lid of a beer - the bunker ruled no obstruction.

TBF - hate blaming a call for the game. We should have been 20 up at half time. But somehow this gets justified.

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And no tackle here. Just to get clarity - the NRL rules. Doesn't look like he was tackled and no one was trying to move him once tackled.

Upright (b) when he is held by one or more opposing players in such a manner that he can make no further progress and cannot part with the ball.

No moving of tackled player 3. Once a player in possession has been tackled it is illegal for any player to move or try to move him from the point where the tackle is effected.

View attachment 43925
Spot on, if burns offloads from that position he's either penalised or the ref calls him back to play the ball

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The NRL 360 panel actually sided with Barrett regarding the obstruction, Kent in particular which I was surprised with.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We get dudded every week it’s insane I can’t believe it

Shreksno1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rigged?
@realDonaldTrump reads TK :-).

It’s a rough call that could’ve gone either way.
We win some 50/50 calls, we lose some.
Nothing else to it.
Nah teams aren’t sponsored by betting agencies are they ? Joel blue vein smoker Cain doesn’t come on ur tv screen before every game shoving multi bets down ur throat does he ?
much more to it

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nah teams aren’t sponsored by betting agencies are they ? Joel blue vein smoker Cain doesn’t come on ur tv screen before every game shoving multi bets down ur throat does he ?
much more to it
Believe what you want, all good.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So what happens when he hits the lead runner and you have okunbur comiting to the runner out the back as you say?
Was thinking the same thing. You are better off being taught to hold your line.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Funny if you compare this to the Hammers disallowed try last week. Yes he's offside and the correct ruling was applied. Did it impact the play? No it did not, if his foot was back and onside, he still would have scored...

So why wasn't the same clear cut ruling applied here ? Burns was clearly obstructed on his outside shoulder...
NRL and Annesley are cowards dodging responsibility as always

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
What's even more odd, is the fact they were so quick to call held when JAC and someone else were driving the broncos player towards the touch line, even though there was no stop in momentum.

How exactly can you call held on a play were the tackle hasn't been complete, yet allow a strip after a tackle has clearly been completed.

To top it off, when they started clamping down on the obstruction rule, they made it clear that it was going to be black and white, no in between, no discretion, nothing. Outside shoulder = obstruction. How come they get to use discretion at the most crucial times against certain teams? it's a fucking joke.

We need an independent bunker just to over-rule the bunker and referees stupid decisions.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Referees boss comes out with a “feel for the game” rule as rationale… outside shoulder is penalised 10/10 times…but somehow, they bend the rules for the Broncos or for teams playing the Bulldogs.

In the other occasion, the bloke is tackled and gets the ball stripped whilst on the ground..very strange ruling.

By the way, who can ever forget the Bunker ruling a forward pass from Sam Kasiano vs Parra at the death to tie up the game… Bunkers can’t rule on forward passes but that night, they did!!

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The strip looked OK to me, even though I don't like that type of strip; and the ref hadn't called "held".

The obstruction was another one that got away from us. Had Burns done a Cam Murray or Jarrod Croker, and fallen to the ground in a slow dive, with arms waving and shouting to the ref, it might have gone up as no try - but the bunker might still have overruled him.

Have to remember that Queensland always gets the rub of the green, or the fans won't watch the televised game. Same last week when Hetherington was binned for being inside the ten, yet the Cowboys got away with the same thing all game. And it's easier to get away with poor decisions when the Bulldogs are on the receiving end.

Imagine the screaming headlines had we got those tries!

I think the strip should be one of the rule changes, where one on one is OK, but allowing two players to wrestle an attacker's arm away so their mate can get a hold on the ball, then release their hold when the ball is being pulled away, should be outlawed. A player has no defence against that kind of tackle.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
The strip looked OK to me, even though I don't like that type of strip; and the ref hadn't called "held".

The obstruction was another one that got away from us. Had Burns done a Cam Murray or Jarrod Croker, and fallen to the ground in a slow dive, with arms waving and shouting to the ref, it might have gone up as no try - but the bunker might still have overruled him.

Have to remember that Queensland always gets the rub of the green, or the fans won't watch the televised game. Same last week when Hetherington was binned for being inside the ten, yet the Cowboys got away with the same thing all game. And it's easier to get away with poor decisions when the Bulldogs are on the receiving end.

I think the strip should be one of the rule changes, where one on one is OK, but allowing two players to wrestle an attacker's arm away so their mate can get a hold on the ball, then release their hold when the ball is being pulled away, should be outlawed. A player has no defence against that kind of tackle.
Rules are clear - If any doubt arises as to a tackle, the Referee should give a verbal instruction to “play on” or shout “held” as the case may be.

On his arse with a guy around the ball. If thats not tackled then what is?

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree on the stripping rule. Something needs to change there. Under the current interpretation though that one was fine.

The obstruction one though shows the huge inconsistency in the rule. You can guarantee a similar incident will happen this weekend and the team will be denied the try.